The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2021, 05:28 PM   #1
EagleChief

Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Another question I have...

Engine placement. Is that a trial and error thing? I have ICT adapter plates and stock '71 motor mounts. The adapter plates have 4 mounting points to position the motor forward/back. Is there a way I can get some measurements on the truck to give me an idea of where to put the mounts? Or, will I just have to drop the motor in, try it out, and then adjust the mounts as needed?

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197

LS Swap Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811460
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post

Engine placement. Is that a trial and error thing? I have ICT adapter plates and stock '71 motor mounts. The adapter plates have 4 mounting points to position the motor forward/back. Is there a way I can get some measurements on the truck to give me an idea of where to put the mounts? Or, will I just have to drop the motor in, try it out, and then adjust the mounts as needed?
I have the same ICT plates with the four holes. I wanted room behind the engine and we originally put it in the forward holes. There was a lot of space behind the engine and not much between the water pump and the radiator fans. We ended up going to the second set of holes from the back moving the engine back about 1 3/4”. The body is not back on yet So I am not sure how much clearance is left behind the Engine.

So I guess to answer your question it is trial and error. If you go to the I CT website it says what each set of holes does. I believe the first hole is .1” forward the second hole is .6” I am not sure but the third set of holes it’s like 1.7” or 1.8”. Off the top of my head I can’t remember what the forward set of holes measurement is but it’s easy to find on their website.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
EagleChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
I have the same ICT plates with the four holes. I wanted room behind the engine and we originally put it in the forward holes. There was a lot of space behind the engine and not much between the water pump and the radiator fans. We ended up going to the second set of holes from the back moving the engine back about 1 3/4”. The body is not back on yet So I am not sure how much clearance is left behind the Engine.

So I guess to answer your question it is trial and error. If you go to the I CT website it says what each set of holes does. I believe the first hole is .1” forward the second hole is .6” I am not sure but the third set of holes it’s like 1.7” or 1.8”. Off the top of my head I can’t remember what the forward set of holes measurement is but it’s easy to find on their website.
Just went back to the ICT site to see what I could find. They actually have a video posted that says the front-most set of holes are the closest to factory small block location. I didn't see that video when I was on their site before. But, for future reference, or anyone else that wants to know, here is what they say:
"There are 4 positions for maximum adjustment of engine (from .100" forward of OEM bellhousing position [due to bolt interference, OEM location is not possible for any brand of flat style swap plates] ~forward most position shown in photos~, Secondary positions are: .600", 1.86", and 2.36" engine moved forward)

These swap plates will shift the crankshaft centerline up .177" above factory small block location."

I currently have mine set at the #2 position. I may move them up, but I wonder if it will make a difference that my truck did not have the factory transmission. Trial and error it will be.

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197

LS Swap Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811460

Last edited by EagleChief; 02-08-2021 at 04:48 PM.
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
Joemomma1

Quote:
I have looked through the walk-thru over at LT1swap. Looks like a big bunch of spaghetti! Fear of cutting the wrong wires, or messing something up is the problem holding me back, I think. But, my biggest obstacle is time. Going through the wiring seems like it would take several hours to go through. My time in the garage, currently, is probably 20-30 minutes at a time - IF I'm lucky.

Then don't do it. Send that work out and focus on something else to keep the project moving. Anything that can be completed in the time you have is still progress.

Quote:

They should have given you or have some kind of info on what mounting holes will place the engine relative to the factory positioning. This is why I went with slider plates rather than those plate types with the static positions. I just dropped mine in with the transmission and adjusted from there. 30 minutes should be enough time to choose a position, drop it in and see where it sits. Adjust on your next chance.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #5
Pitpig

Eagle chief: the wiring is tedious, cutting the wrong wire not much of a concern, you pull the pins out of the connector and then the wire from the loom. Would be hard todo it 20 minutes at a time though!
Pitpig is offline   Reply With Quote