The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
kwmech

Re: 400 small block on C50 dumper

As much as like 400s, the total GVW that the truck is capable of would almost dictate a big block. "Keeping up with traffic" would necessitate different gearing. BUT how fast do you want to go with a fully loaded 50 year old truck? Most medium duty trucks in Calif are supposed to adhere to a 55mph restriction anyways--not that anybody follows these guidelines....
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
Arnulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
As much as like 400s, the total GVW that the truck is capable of would almost dictate a big block. "Keeping up with traffic" would necessitate different gearing. BUT how fast do you want to go with a fully loaded 50 year old truck? Most medium duty trucks in Calif are supposed to adhere to a 55mph restriction anyways--not that anybody follows these guidelines....
Kind of what I was thinking on the 400 small block. Would like to be able to hold 60 mph on freeway without hurting motor. I do not want to go faster than that especially with a load. As you said no one adheres to the 55 mph. Will always be driven on slow lane but even there average speed around here is 65-70 mph.
Arnulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
kwmech

If I were you I 'd figure out gearing and RPM first. That is going to be your killer regardless of the engine. If you can keep it under 3000 at 60, you should be good
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote