The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
caseyjones

Re: 1964 C10 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
I forget to mention. You can get a local paint store to mix up that color in oil base enamel. It'll fade easy and blend in with the original paint. You can also put it on with a fine foam roller. Mix it thin and do several coats.
I did wet sand a little bit to see if I could hide the new paint and it worked OK. I got the paint in spray cans from the NAPA paint store...the manager there mixed it by eyeball. It’s good enough for me for now. I would like to strip and repaint the interior at some point but I’m enjoying having it on the road right now.
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
I did wet sand a little bit to see if I could hide the new paint and it worked OK. I got the paint in spray cans from the NAPA paint store...the manager there mixed it by eyeball. It’s good enough for me for now. I would like to strip and repaint the interior at some point but I’m enjoying having it on the road right now.
You notice it because you know where it is. Looking at the overall truck, most likely nobody else will.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #3
caseyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
You notice it because you know where it is. Looking at the overall truck, most likely nobody else will.
Yeah, you're probably right. I'm way too critical of my own work in general. Thanks for the compliments guys. It's really a good truck now.

My latest update isn't very photogenic. I built my own version of twouvakind's wiper delay module and installed it today. I mounted the extra knob in one of the stock holes in the bottom of the dash, it kinda fades away down there. I love these little hidden convenience updates that make driving the truck so much better.

I filled up for the first time after the carb swap. MPG went from 9 to 14. I think the carb will pay for itself soon.

I also ordered a new seat cover set - the vinyl that's in there now split along the seam on the edge of the seat and had a hole in it. I ordered the set from Classic Industries, I can't tell if it's one of the Acme kits or if it's done by someone else. It's so hard to know what it really looks like online, so we'll see when it gets here. I realize now I probably should have ordered new armrests while I was at it.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:02 PM   #4
caseyjones

The truck came with a gray vinyl-covered seat that was really in pretty good shape. One small tear on the left side, a rust stain from a paint can, and a protective layer of cigarette tar and dirt. i cleaned it up and it was holding up pretty well, but then the vinyl tore at the seam along the left side and the tear just kept growing.

I decided that I should replace the cover before the foam started to get damaged, so I ordered the beige/tan vinyl and cloth combo through Classic Industries. it's incredibly difficult to tell from the online pictures what you're going to get, so I waited to see it before I did anything to seat in the truck.
In prep, though, I did pull out the floor mat, scrubbed it with Tide and a brush, hit it with a pressure washer, and it came mostly clean. I also laid down a bunch of panels of Noico butyl/foil sound deadening on the floor, pretty much anywhere you can't find it without looking for it.
I got the seat covers on Saturday and I thought they looked great. I did have to run to Harbor Freight to grab a legit pair of hog ring pliers because the ones from the kit are garbage. Got it all covered up on Saturday and installed this morning. I'm really happy with it. The cloth is woven and has some variation in color. The vinyl seems nice, it's not really plastic-y and is pretty soft.

Don't pay for these pieces of garbage:

I also pressure washed my paver patio. Paver patios in the PNW are a terrible idea...they get covered with moss, and no matter what anyone says, it's not charming, it's disgusting.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:18 PM   #5
66C10LB

The seat cover looks great. Seems to be installed nice and taught.
66C10LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #6
jkeating1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
...I did have to run to Harbor Freight to grab a legit pair of hog ring pliers because the ones from the kit are garbage.
Seems counterintuitive to go to Harbor Freight for a better quality tool!
Old 05-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeating1 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking but you never know how crappy some stuff can be vs. others.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:05 AM   #8
caseyjones

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have to say the cloth is really nice, my work bag and my phone don't slide around on the seat anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeating1 View Post
Ha! I actually tried to find one at a more reputable hardware store but there were none in stock, and honestly the HF pliers worked really well and I got em for around $6!

Last edited by caseyjones; 05-19-2021 at 12:15 AM.