The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
cadillac_al

Re: Can't get distributor to lock down.

I don't think that gear clearance is going to make much difference on the intake mounting part. If anything it would be best to have no shims in there with the problem you are having. When you drop the dist in place, how much of a gap do you have between the intake surface and the distributor sealing surface? If the gap is big, something is out of spec, I would fill the gap with nylon washers and drive it.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
grubsster

Re: Can't get distributor to lock down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I don't think that gear clearance is going to make much difference on the intake mounting part. If anything it would be best to have no shims in there with the problem you are having. When you drop the dist in place, how much of a gap do you have between the intake surface and the distributor sealing surface? If the gap is big, something is out of spec, I would fill the gap with nylon washers and drive it.
I really appreciate the time all of you have put into trying to help me solve this. I like things to work as they should. The gap when installed is only about .030, with no oil pump shaft, so I keep thinking it should lock down with a .060 spacer and gasket. But cadillac you are right, I could throw the shims and a gasket in, buy one of the clamps that geezer and rocknrod mentioned and probably drive it. I may pull the motor and take it back to the builder. Honestly not hard to take out and put in, a day each way. Whatever I do, I will post back so that if anyone else chases their tail like I am right now, hopefully, this thread will help. If anyone has any other ideas though, I'm still all ears...
grubsster is offline   Reply With Quote