The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #101
Naught

Re: Soap on a Rope

Man... Very nice build
Naught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #102
lunatic1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Looks good. Are you still itching from working with that stuff? I was hoping that sealing it with the silicone paint would make it not cause itching with future handling of the wrapped areas, but it really didn't help.
Ha not too bad but I think the copper is different than the other stuff I've used
I didn't get itchy at all. I'm using black thermal wrap on the tail section mainly because I already have two rolls on the shelf. So well see if there is a difference?
Attached Images

lunatic1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:46 PM   #103
lunatic1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naught View Post
Man... Very nice build
I'm giving it a try for sure , haha. Appreciate it.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #104
lunatic1968

Just a before shot, before I put the cab back on to do some wiring. The slow painful process of wiring is not my cup of tea. but I want to get it prewired now so there's no hiccups later.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #105
SCOTI

Just found this one. Very nicely done!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #106
lunatic1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Just found this one. Very nicely done!
Thank you sir!
Old 07-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #107
lunatic1968

I've been busy this last week! I spent the week getting the truck together to prewire before I attempt the last bit of metal work and body work. Then I spent Friday and Saturday At the SETN show where I was picked to be a judge. So.... my back is killing me now ! But there is work to be done so I'm at the shop trying to find a suitable job.

Also, I'm looking for an original painted front bumper, if anyone knows somebody?

Last edited by lunatic1968; 07-11-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #108
lunatic1968

Couple of pics...
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #109
RustedMetal

Badass!!
Old 07-31-2021, 12:08 PM   #110
lunatic1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedMetal View Post
Badass!!
Thanks man I appreciate it.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:27 PM   #111
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I like how you spaced the tailgate letters out a bit. Another cool look with a lot of other really neat tricks youve done with this truck.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:22 PM   #112
lunatic1968

Thanks man. The tailgate is my favorite part so far..
Old 07-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #113
lunatic1968

Well, I have been busy...but I seem to be all over the place , as I run into issues I stop and work on something else while I think about the other issues. The truck is nearly together again. I started getting the wiring done, with the help of friends. A couple years ago I decided I wanted cannon plugs for my wiring to go through the firewall. I thought it would be cool to disconnect a couple cannon plugs and be able to remove/install the body quickly. Half of it is done but now I have to pin the firewall side. I have to say right now, I don't like my placement of the plugs. and the time that it has taken to do this mod has taken a long time, too long. I sometimes think about starting over. It was a risky move and a lot of thought went into it. First item was cutting my brand new engine and trans harness in half. Another warranty voided. I am pre-wiring the whole truck with connectors, everything will have connectors for ease of installation later and I will be able to remove the harness and wrap it head to toe.

Anyways I am tired of wiring and I keep adding things such as power windows, push button start, RFID security, auto start, and power door locks. I need time to think what else I want to add before finalizing the wiring.

So I have moved to the front of the truck into the engine compartment. Attempting to make my radiator support and wheel wells. They will be pretty simple as I don't have an English wheel or bead roller,but they are definitely on my list of tools I need. but I think I can whip up something with out them.
What I do have is dimple dies so this one trick pony is going to dimple die the hell out of whatever I make under the hood. Ive gotten pretty far but its not coming out symmetrical as I would like because of the intake tube on the drivers side and the radiator cap ..... idk what I'm going to do for access to it. Ive seen beautiful metalwork done on engine covers but alot of them cover the access to serviceability to the radiator cap or oil fill without taking off covers to get to them meaning removing bolts to get to something. I am hoping I can make something serviceable. Any ideas?

It's just mocked up with tape and clecos right now but you can see the direction Im going.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2021, 01:52 PM   #114
lunatic1968

I forgot to mention the wheel wells will be removable with quarter turn fasteners around the perimeter. Once I figure out how to do it, ha. Its a work in progress.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:27 PM   #115
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic1968 View Post
Well, I have been busy...but I seem to be all over the place , as I run into issues I stop and work on something else while I think about the other issues. The truck is nearly together again. I started getting the wiring done, with the help of friends. A couple years ago I decided I wanted cannon plugs for my wiring to go through the firewall. I thought it would be cool to disconnect a couple cannon plugs and be able to remove/install the body quickly. Half of it is done but now I have to pin the firewall side. I have to say right now, I don't like my placement of the plugs. and the time that it has taken to do this mod has taken a long time, too long. I sometimes think about starting over. It was a risky move and a lot of thought went into it. First item was cutting my brand new engine and trans harness in half. Another warranty voided. I am pre-wiring the whole truck with connectors, everything will have connectors for ease of installation later and I will be able to remove the harness and wrap it head to toe.

Anyways I am tired of wiring and I keep adding things such as power windows, push button start, RFID security, auto start, and power door locks. I need time to think what else I want to add before finalizing the wiring.

So I have moved to the front of the truck into the engine compartment. Attempting to make my radiator support and wheel wells. They will be pretty simple as I don't have an English wheel or bead roller,but they are definitely on my list of tools I need. but I think I can whip up something with out them.
What I do have is dimple dies so this one trick pony is going to dimple die the hell out of whatever I make under the hood. Ive gotten pretty far but its not coming out symmetrical as I would like because of the intake tube on the drivers side and the radiator cap ..... idk what I'm going to do for access to it. Ive seen beautiful metalwork done on engine covers but alot of them cover the access to serviceability to the radiator cap or oil fill without taking off covers to get to them meaning removing bolts to get to something. I am hoping I can make something serviceable. Any ideas?

It's just mocked up with tape and clecos right now but you can see the direction Im going.
What about forming/shaping your cover so that it can use ceramic-base magnets to hold it in place? Basically you just need to keep it from flopping around since a 'cover' is not used for structural support. Magnets allow for quick removal. You'll just need tabs placed that allow an 'easy grab' location to minimize the effort needed to remove the cover.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #116
lunatic1968

Quote:
What about forming/shaping your cover so that it can use ceramic-base magnets to hold it in place? Basically you just need to keep it from flopping around since a 'cover' is not used for structural support. Magnets allow for quick removal. You'll just need tabs placed that allow an 'easy grab' location to minimize the effort needed to remove the cover.
That is an excellent idea. I have magnets all over this truck and they work great, my outer bed floor boards are held in with them along with a lot of magnetic clamp holders. I am a fan of magnets and wonder why i didn't think of it myself. not enough coffee today, ha. Thanks
Old 08-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #117
lunatic1968

Couple of pics of what I been working on.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #118
lunatic1968

All is mocked up with tape, nothing is done, just playing around with different ideas for the engine cover/throttle cable cover. Last one is a piece of oak that matches the center console and bed floor.

I'm trying to think of something to cover the fuel rail and injector wiring .
Stay tuned....?
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #119
lunatic1968

And one more without tape
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #120
SCOTI

I'll admit I'm not a fan over the engine covers but I like what you've done so far.

As far as covering the fuel rails/inj's, add to whats there or make some that attach to the coils (if they're not relocated) or to the v.covers to avoid the center piece from getting to big. I hope that makes sense.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #121
lunatic1968

Quote:
I'll admit I'm not a fan over the engine covers but I like what you've done so far.

As far as covering the fuel rails/inj's, add to whats there or make some that attach to the coils (if they're not relocated) or to the v.covers to avoid the center piece from getting to big. I hope that makes sense.
Scoti, thanks. I don't care for engine covers my self ... the throttle cable was an eyesore to me. I've made a couple fuel rail covers but like you said, it was making the center piece to bulky. so I'm struggling with it right now, so Ill work on something else till it comes to me. I may cover with header wrap to see if I like that... who knows.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #122
WilliamFd55

I'm into the engine cover, gives it some height. Also makes it one of a kind. Very nice work!
WilliamFd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #123
Dexterb

Great Build so far! Thanks for sharing!
Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #124
lunatic1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamFd55 View Post
I'm into the engine cover, gives it some height. Also makes it one of a kind. Very nice work!
Thanks, I've spent the last two days just staring at it trying to figure out how to fasten it. My plans were to use magnets for easy removal and that is still the plan, just having a hard time determining how and where. So I'll leave it alone for now and find something else to work on in hopes that it will come to me. I did make two pieces to hide the wiring and the fuel rail, don't know if I'll use them or not. But it looks pretty good. I'll post a pic in a few.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #125
lunatic1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterb View Post
Great Build so far! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, I really appreciate it.