The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
Killer Bee

Re: Tire questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'd opt for a 215 (or 225) 75-16" tire or step up to a 215/85-16 legit truck tire.

The truck tire is heavier duty than needed on a 1/2 ton most likely but might be just as easy to find & one wouldn't have to worry about them not being good enough for 'truck stuff'. The trade-off would be possible reduction in ride quality but as long as they're not inflated to max pressure they ride fine IMO.
I agree but as geezer mentioned above, up to the installer to deviate from the recommended wheel size..

LT tires for a 5" wide 16" diameter wheel is going to be tough to find in specs.. but as long as there is enough sidewall to get the right amount of contact on the ground I'd run them..

the challenge is finding a tire shop that actually understands what they're doing outside of a template in their computer..
Old 10-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
I agree but as geezer mentioned above, up to the installer to deviate from the recommended wheel size..

LT tires for a 5" wide 16" diameter wheel is going to be tough to find in specs.. but as long as there is enough sidewall to get the right amount of contact on the ground I'd run them..

the challenge is finding a tire shop that actually understands what they're doing outside of a template in their computer..
It's a 6" wheel (5" @ the bead). My dually has a 16x6" front wheel. The 215's come on/are spec'd for 16" x 6" dually wheels. My '99 had/has 16x6" fronts. The OE spec tire is a 245/75-16. I have 215's on it.

If the tire shop is Discount Tire (or the like)..... Go somewhere else.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #3
painterljp

Ok you all have me convinced to just go buy tires want 30" thereabouts overall height. So may just get some 215 75 16 will look to get some truck tires. Local Mexican tire shops will put whatever you want on so guess can go there if firestone won't do it. Thank you for all heads up and help figuring it out. Most of tires Killer sent me on link say rim width of 5.5 to 7. So these won't be to shy of the 5" rim. Should work.

Thank you all for your help deciding and figuring this out.. Really didn't want trailer tires again. Am starting to fix up old girl. Thanks again.
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote