The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2021, 07:06 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

It all Happened About 6 Minutes after

Last week 2021-10-14 -08:39 am...I was at a Gem Stop Chevron and filled up our car with gas at pump number 7..,,when I stopped filling ,,,The pump ask if I want a wax and I touched no button and then it wanted to know if I wanted a receipt and I touched that button that said yes,,Then lastly it told me to take out my debit card and in a moment I would get a receipt....... I took out the card ..I screwed the gas cap back on and pulled out the receipt that quoted the amount of $37.86 and got in the car and drove home ..

Last week 2021-10-14-08:46 am...some one in a truck & trailer filled up a Diesel Truck at the same Number 7 gas pump ,,6 minutes after I used that pump ..cost $111.20

My wife ask me what is this $111.20 on our checking that she was looking at on our bank site ? So today I went asking question at the Gem Chevron
The Gem Chevron would not let me see the video that they have and would not tell me the make of the truck . .she gave me what she could and advised me to go to the our bank /police and report it , And she would turn all she has on video to the police if they want it ,, We did just that and changed my credit card and number .. , I tried several times but never could get a live person after many times so I will try again tomorrow

Any of you reading this know just how exactly this was done and ,,leaving me to pay the bill ? ( PHOTO is a LOOK-A-LIKE )

Name:  efee1f55d85874a51a061572f6434d15_XL.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  32.5 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by GOPAPA; 10-22-2021 at 07:39 AM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
biketopia

Re: It all Happened About 6 Minutes after

Most likely a card skimmer, and the crook was sitting close by watching the data and struck quick. Less likely but still possible, a glitch in the billing software that left your card active. This isn't directed at any one, just sharing what I've dealt with, I know some people think credit cards are the devil, but times like this depending on the bank one could be SOL on getting refunded. A debit card is pretty much the same as cash, with a direct line to all your cash in that account. A credit card gives you a pretty good line of fraud defense and protection, plus you can make a pretty hefty amount off of incentives from the CC. My wife and I use our cards for everything, pay em off every month and then use the rewards to treat our selves or for gifts to friends and family.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Could also be the one of the employee's. Happened to me.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

What little I know about it, biketopia's post sounds about right. That really bites, and is one reason I don't use a debit card. Good luck Larry, I hope you get it straightened out quick and a full refund of your $$.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
GOPAPA

The gal in the Gem Stop told me that a truck with a trailer is the one who got Diesel right after me and also gas .. she says the license plate is blurry ,,but will turn it over to police if they want it .. She said she could not show it to me ..
Old 10-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #6
Getter-Done

Hope you get to the bottom of this.
This is messed up
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #7
Boog
laying low

I reluctantly use cards but when I do I stand there after I get my receipt to see that the transaction is shown complete before leaving just in case. I don't know if it helps but I feel better.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

The only way to avoid this from happening is to pay inside , You could pay cash but with rising prices some of these trucks may hold over $600.00 worth of fuel and that would trigger some type of investigation and paperwork asking where did you get that much cash ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #9
Gotenntitans

I had someone just last week hack into my card and use it at the local Sonic hamburger place.........9 times in a five day period. One amount was over $50 and another was over $30, but most were under $10. Owner/manager said all purchases were done using the Sonic App, which she could verify that I don't have.

I shut my debit card down and went to the bank and got another one and filled out papers disputing all the Sonic App purchases. Sonic advised the bank that they watched their videos and the same person was pulling into the stalls and picking up the food and they confirmed that it was not me or my wife.

My money has been put back into my account already. I hope whoever it is, they (the bank) goes after them even though it's not a huge sum of money, it's still stealing! Sonic would not let us see the videos. Thieves have their privacy too, ya know.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
weq92f

Knocking on wood....

Only time this happened to me was a terrible waiter scribbled himself in a big tip at a restaurant. When I called the place they told me he'd been fired for being a terrible waiter and offered me some free food! Unfortunately the food was just as bad as the service!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #11
Dead Parrot

My vote is a skimmer of some sort. A current or former employee could have handed a pump key to a 3rd party who installed the skimmer. 3rd party monitors the pump and picks their victim. By the time anyone notices, days or weeks have passed.

I had two CC compromised a few months apart. Both times the CC company(Discover) reversed the charges. One time they caught it, 2nd time I noticed the bogus charges on the bill. The only thing in common with both compromises was they happened shortly after I bought gas at a local station. Never bought gas there again and haven't had any more CC problems.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #12
Rickysnickers

I'm assuming you were in Nampa when this occurred. If so, contact the PD and see if it's something they will investigate. You've already done the good part by contacting the bank and killing the card, as well as disputing the $111 charge.

One thing you might be able to clear up for me, why did you leave your card in the pump while you were pumping the gas? I've never seen this done before. I've pulled mine out of the reader as soon as the charge is approved, and that's before I start pumping any gas. Don't read this as me getting on your case, I'm simply asking a question.

For those who use their cards purchases, always give the reader a tug. Crooks will put add on readers on gas pumps, as well as other places cards are used, in order to skim your card number and/or pin. By pulling on the reader, if there's a second one placed there, you can usually pull it right off. If there is a fake reader that comes off, hold on to it and call your local PD right away. Also, it should go w/o saying, don't use the pump the reader was attached to and let the business know that you found it as well.

This is just for info for those reading this, as biketopia said, if you are going to use plastic use your credit card! Throw that debit card into the shredder and never use it. I did investigations for a short time. There were a couple of times where the banks would not refund the victim's money from a fraudulent debit card purchase. In one case it was several thousand dollars. With the CC, the card company will send it over to their own fraud unit and do their own investigation. They almost always find in favor of the victim. There are always a case or two where they do not, nothing is gauranteed.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #13
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I'm assuming you were in Nampa when this occurred. If so, contact the PD and see if it's something they will investigate. You've already done the good part by contacting the bank and killing the card, as well as disputing the $111 charge.

One thing you might be able to clear up for me, why did you leave your card in the pump while you were pumping the gas? I've never seen this done before. I've pulled mine out of the reader as soon as the charge is approved, and that's before I start pumping any gas. Don't read this as me getting on your case, I'm simply asking a question.

For those who use their cards purchases, always give the reader a tug. Crooks will put add on readers on gas pumps, as well as other places cards are used, in order to skim your card number and/or pin. By pulling on the reader, if there's a second one placed there, you can usually pull it right off. If there is a fake reader that comes off, hold on to it and call your local PD right away. Also, it should go w/o saying, don't use the pump the reader was attached to and let the business know that you found it as well.

This is just for info for those reading this, as biketopia said, if you are going to use plastic use your credit card! Throw that debit card into the shredder and never use it. I did investigations for a short time. There were a couple of times where the banks would not refund the victim's money from a fraudulent debit card purchase. In one case it was several thousand dollars. With the CC, the card company will send it over to their own fraud unit and do their own investigation. They almost always find in favor of the victim. There are always a case or two where they do not, nothing is gauranteed.

thx Rick I called the police station this morn and they advised me to file report on their web site ,, I will ,, and to answer your question about leaving my credit card in the machine .. That might be the reason.. I do not think I am have dementia,, but forgetting is getting worse.. I thought with the new machines at that station I had to leave in the slot , while answering all the questions on the screen.. I am going to go in and give them an amount of money that will cover the tank fill up and do pay for it that way from now on.. I bet you are correct on this .. Idaho Central banking might take care of this one the gal told us.. told us to watch for it on our online account in the next few days..
Old 10-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #14
Rickysnickers

Great, if you need any help or any advice, let me know
Old 10-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #15
truckin 79

I do the same and give the credit card reader a pull to make sure it will not come off. I have been trying to convince my wife for years we need to switch to using the credit card instead of debit card, especially one that pays you cash back. I know a couple people from work who have had their cards used from skimmers at gas stations.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #16
KW5413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotenntitans View Post
I hope whoever it is, they (the bank) goes after them even though it's not a huge sum of money, it's still stealing! Sonic would not let us see the videos. Thieves have their privacy too, ya know.
Sorry to say that No one will go after them. Not enough $$$ involved. I won't get into the very long story but, my card was clipped from the same Hotel, twice over 6 weeks, near Midway Airport in Chicago. 1st visit I suspected the Hotel was the source. The card was cancelled / replaced. 6 weeks later I stayed at the same hotel and used the new card only for the hotel stay. Sure 'nuff, that card got clipped, as well. Over the two incidents the total theft(s) were over $ 20,000. I informed the MC Fraud Dept. that I pretty much proved the source and I would be happy to testify when they catch the perp. I was told they likely would not pursue it since there "wasn't enough $$$ involved"! I then contacted Holiday Inn Corporate Fraud Dept and they said they would get back with me. Never happened.

Most of the charges were for on-line purchase of jewelry and coins. All illegal charges were culled from my account and they just overnighted yet another card.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #17
GOPAPA

On another forum two guys recommended for me to store the identification code somewhere and scrape the one on your card off ,, anyone from banking here know if this is a good idea or would it make the card useless in some transactions .
Old 10-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #18
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW5413 View Post
Sorry to say that No one will go after them. Not enough $$$ involved. I won't get into the very long story but, my card was clipped from the same Hotel, twice over 6 weeks, near Midway Airport in Chicago. 1st visit I suspected the Hotel was the source. The card was cancelled / replaced. 6 weeks later I stayed at the same hotel and used the new card only for the hotel stay. Sure 'nuff, that card got clipped, as well. Over the two incidents the total theft(s) were over $ 20,000. I informed the MC Fraud Dept. that I pretty much proved the source and I would be happy to testify when they catch the perp. I was told they likely would not pursue it since there "wasn't enough $$$ involved"! I then contacted Holiday Inn Corporate Fraud Dept and they said they would get back with me. Never happened.

Most of the charges were for on-line purchase of jewelry and coins. All illegal charges were culled from my account and they just overnighted yet another card.
So that may explain why there are so many people trying to learn how to scam people..........because there's virtually no punishment for it because they're probably not going after the crooks.

If Sonic would show me a picture of whoever was picking up the orders after using my card on the Sonic App, I would go confront them myself. I think it may have been my daughter's ex boyfriend. He's a goofball and was with her one day when I let her use my card to go pickup dinner. May have taken a picture of my card with his phone. That's what she thinks happened, anyway.

So if they're not going after $20,000, then they certainly won't go after $100. Sad, though.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #19
Rickysnickers

Quote:

It sounds like you are talking about two different investigations. Most likely, the bank/CC company will not go after the suspect(s). However, where Gopapa lives, it's much smaller than Chicago. They may actually go after the suspect(s) in his case. Bigger agencies, most likely will not do a lot of follow up investigations. I can tell you that when I got those cases, we would go get the video of the suspect(s) and then make a BOLO (be on the look out) for the patrol coppers. If there was a license plate, well then things went a little farther, until we got an arrest or came to a dead end. Sometimes the stores wouldn't even give us the videos, Starbucks was notorious for that. They wanted search warrants, and quite honestly, we weren't going to go through the hassle of getting a search warrant just for videos.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:06 PM   #20
KW5413

As far as I know, it never became a local LE issue. I never reported it to CPD. The decisions were made by the CC company (Master Card) and then Holiday Inn corporate. I don't think location had any value in the decisions since both of the 1st tier people I spoke with stated it probably wouldn't be pursued. Sounded more like corporate policies. No telling where the $$$ threshold is.

You are right, 2 events, 6 weeks apart. 1st for $ 8K...The 2nd for $ 12K.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #21
GOPAPA

My Credit Union put the $111.20 back into our account ..I am going to be more cautious from now on .. I am now going to fill out a police credit fraud report on line and enter all the information I have and what the gal at the Gem stop shared .. At first I thought the the police dept. wouldn't do much about it as the thieves have it down pretty good about stealing someone money ,,but Rickysnickers speaks with police knowledge and knowing the city I live in as he is only about 15 miles from me and that alone says do what I can and let the boys in blue do what they can. thanks from all of you with helpful ideas to guard against credit card theft.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #22
KW5413

I hope they do pursue the bad guys...in every case. I hope they catch them...I hate thieves.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:00 AM   #23
Rickysnickers

Quote:
As far as I know, it never became a local LE issue. I never reported it to CPD. The decisions were made by the CC company (Master Card) and then Holiday Inn corporate. I don't think location had any value in the decisions since both of the 1st tier people I spoke with stated it probably wouldn't be pursued. Sounded more like corporate policies. No telling where the $$$ threshold is.

You are right, 2 events, 6 weeks apart. 1st for $ 8K...The 2nd for $ 12K.
I guess I wasn't clear when I said two separate investigations, one by the CC company and then another by the local PD. The CC company doesn't, at least to my knowledge, go to the PD to report a crime. They do their own separate investigation, or a parallel investigation with the PD. It's up to the CC holder to notify the local PD that he/she has been the victim of a CC theft. The CC company does not do that.

With all that said, please don't think I am arguing with you. I am not. We are both saying the same thing. I am just trying to clarify what I typed in the earlier comments.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #24
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
My Credit Union put the $111.20 back into our account ..I am going to be more cautious from now on .. I am now going to fill out a police credit fraud report on line and enter all the information I have and what the gal at the Gem stop shared .. At first I thought the the police dept. wouldn't do much about it as the thieves have it down pretty good about stealing someone money ,,but Rickysnickers speaks with police knowledge and knowing the city I live in as he is only about 15 miles from me and that alone says do what I can and let the boys in blue do what they can. thanks from all of you with helpful ideas to guard against credit card theft.
I'd be interested to know if Nampa PD does anything follow up with it. If you'd like and want to share, just send a PM, unless you'd like to share with everyone.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #25
KW5413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I guess I wasn't clear when I said two separate investigations, one by the CC company and then another by the local PD. The CC company doesn't, at least to my knowledge, go to the PD to report a crime. They do their own separate investigation, or a parallel investigation with the PD. It's up to the CC holder to notify the local PD that he/she has been the victim of a CC theft. The CC company does not do that.

With all that said, please don't think I am arguing with you. I am not. We are both saying the same thing. I am just trying to clarify what I typed in the earlier comments.
We're good. I never considered this was a debate. Just dotting I's and crossing T's.