The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2021, 03:36 PM   #51
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I hear that. We're a little off topic here, but I think we've covered the original topic pretty well and I doubt that go papa will mind. I take a different approach to paint than many and I do it all by hand due to the old paint on these trucks. The typical cut and buff process can remove too much paint in my opinion. I use multiple steps to remove impurities, add clarity, protect, and a little shine results. I'm not interested in trying to get the gloss that you can get with a clear coat system. Good paint preservation restores some richness and luster to it. If any of that sounds interesting, hit me up. And for the record, I don't rep these products, haha, I'm just an enthusiast.
I have no problem with this changing some from the post to painting the black line with in the chrome strips ..
I have a grand daugher whos eyes are like an eagle and just maybe this summer I will hire her to do my painting on the center of the chrome strips ..
Old 10-30-2021, 03:39 PM   #52
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I hear that. We're a little off topic here, but I think we've covered the original topic pretty well and I doubt that go papa will mind. I take a different approach to paint than many and I do it all by hand due to the old paint on these trucks. The typical cut and buff process can remove too much paint in my opinion. I use multiple steps to remove impurities, add clarity, protect, and a little shine results. I'm not interested in trying to get the gloss that you can get with a clear coat system. Good paint preservation restores some richness and luster to it. If any of that sounds interesting, hit me up. And for the record, I don't rep these products, haha, I'm just an enthusiast.
My post ,,and you are not off by much as my chrome edging for my wheel wells are part of my renewing of the truck .. along with the side molding ..
Thx for the idea to paint by hand ,,
Old 11-01-2021, 06:29 AM   #53
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
My post ,,and you are not off by much as my chrome edging for my wheel wells are part of my renewing of the truck .. along with the side molding ..
Thx for the idea to paint by hand ,,
We had moved on from even talking about your trim paint, to talking about the care and the maintenance of all the paint. Particularly on the red blazer that showed you his new trim. Hopefully you don't mind.

For the record, I don't recommend trying to hand paint the lines in your trim. Even if you tape it off, if it's hand painted, the paint will wick under the masking. If you spray it, it won't. I was recommending hand polishing of the body paint rather than machine polishing, hence "by hand" was mentioned. However, if you want to do it that way in order to involve your granddaughter in fixing up your truck, then maybe that eclipses other considerations. Having her help may be the most important thing.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #54
GOPAPA

I just seen a "How to install the side trim" from LMC and the guy cut the stripping with a straight cutting tool ,, I see you can buy a slanted cutting tool to make a slanted cut.,, Question:: are the side rails that are put on from the factory cut slanted or straight?