The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
dsraven

Re: Patina56 build aka the never ending story

115 wheelbase seems long, how low do you plan to go with it?
pics please. do you have pics of the new frame by itself?
I recommend getting a copy of the assembly manual. available online for a free download from the tri5 site, just google 55-59 chevrolet truck factory assembly manual and pick the tri5 site. you maybe wanna put that on a thumb drive for future reference. it has frame drawings with dimensons.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:51 PM   #2
Patina56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
115 wheelbase seems long, how low do you plan to go with it?
pics please. do you have pics of the new frame by itself?
I recommend getting a copy of the assembly manual. available online for a free download from the tri5 site, just google 55-59 chevrolet truck factory assembly manual and pick the tri5 site. you maybe wanna put that on a thumb drive for future reference. it has frame drawings with dimensons.
It’s going to be all the way down, 114 sets the wheel too far back when it’s low. I have the assembly manual since day 1 and it is well worth it.
Patina56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
Patina56

Ok, more of my past progress. As I said in the 1st post the torsion front end was not going to cut it, I wanted it low and airbags were in the plan. There was going to be too much work to get that Gibbons crossmember off so I started looking for a new frame to slap a m2 under and basically build it up and swap over the cab and bed.
Found a good frame for $400 and 2 weeks after I brought it home I found the Rydman chassis and after mulling it over I pulled the trigger and bought it.
There were some challenges with using it as it was originally a 65 frame that was then shortened to 102” wheelbase, no biggie I can stretch it out. Next was I need cab and bed mounts and some other cutting and shuffling.

Pictures of the new chassis
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 04-12-2022 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
Patina56

A few mock up pics showing the front wheel spacing, since I’m going with 22” wheels I wanted to be sure it would not look too far back in the wheel well when down. It’s hard to see from the pictures but I marked the visual centers of the wheel arch where it looked best to me. As of now the frame is only tacked together so once I have all the parts in final mock up I can drag it outside for a final look.
The tape is marked with the up and down positions of the front wheel center.
Attached Images