The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
cwcarpenter98

Re: Bought AC for the truck

I did the same thing a couple weeks ago. Also went with Old Air.

One thing I would recommend doing is running two relays that are switched on from the fuse block to provide power for the a/c system. Originally, I ran the power wires to my fuse block and ended up melting the ignition switch plug and having all sorts of charging issues because the factory wiring size isn't big enough to run the a/c. The relays fixed my problem, and frankly I should have just done that to begin with

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:14 PM   #2
raidmagic

Ok not a bad few hours, unit is mounted and onto the next steps. A few things were an annoyance, the plate that bolts to the unit didn't line up, I had to open the holes. I didn't have a 1-1/4 drill bit so I had to drill out 7/8 then use a die grinder to get it big enough. Not thier fault. The tape you have to wrap around the pipe for the sensor is a ***** and they didn't say in the instructions the unit was under pressure so when I took the fitting off it shot out and scared the crap out of me. Otherwise I'll have to mod my glovebox (known value) and move my ignition box.

Good for a laugh I had to remove the patch I welded in when I removed the stock system.

Pics:

Old 08-03-2023, 07:15 PM   #3
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I did the same thing a couple weeks ago. Also went with Old Air.

One thing I would recommend doing is running two relays that are switched on from the fuse block to provide power for the a/c system. Originally, I ran the power wires to my fuse block and ended up melting the ignition switch plug and having all sorts of charging issues because the factory wiring size isn't big enough to run the a/c. The relays fixed my problem, and frankly I should have just done that to begin with
I already have an aftermarket harness I installed a few years ago and it has some pretty stout wiring in place for ac but I'll definitely double check that. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:21 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
I already have an aftermarket harness I installed a few years ago and it has some pretty stout wiring in place for ac but I'll definitely double check that. Thanks for the heads up.
You might be in better shape than I was wiring wise. I have a reproduction fuse block that uses the stock size wiring, so that's where my issue was coming from. Hopefully you won't have the same problem!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote