The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
bigmoe

Ever change cab mounts?

My squeekedy squeekedy truck is driving me nuts. It was a frame off build three years ago with the front crossmember/suspension being replaced with squarebody parts. New a arm bushings (rubber) were pressed in. Cab mounts are red poly. I'm thinking either of those two are the culprit. It's louder when my fresh air vent is open. It squeeks on the small ripply road cracks but not on bigger bumps and I can't reproduce the squeek rocking the truck in the shop. The squeek will decrease and almost disappear on really hot days. Cold days it's almost constant unless on really smooth road.
What would be involved in replacing my cab mounts? Is it possible with all the front sheet metal on?
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 11:18 AM   #2
SkinnyG

Re: Ever change cab mounts?

I changed them on my squarebody, and removed the bolts on one side, but loosened the bolts on the other side, placed a 2x4 under the rocker, and raised the cab with a floor jack just enough to get the cab mount out.

It wasn't too bad, and since yours is a fresh build, the bolts should break free no problem.

The cab mounts themselves shouldn't squeak, but poly mounts CERTAINLY transmit more noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) into the cab.

Not sure I would do poly cab mounts again. But I did poly on my 61 because reasons, and being stupid.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 11:39 PM   #3
AcampoDave

My new rubber ones used to squeak. I put them in same method as skinny G and did the ol' " that oughtta be tight enough". Then, after they squeaked I looked up the torque spec and found they should be tighter I than I thought. I forgot the number now but it was somewhere between tight enough and pretty damn tight. That seemed to help a lot. They did still continue to squeak just a bit for a while but then they quit. I guess they had to "break in".
I had put black polys first and just like Skinny G said about harshness, noise and vibration, I swapped them for rubber.

Edit: another squeak that drove me nuts for a long time was the back edge of the hood contacting the cowl. I had a lot of stuff taken apart in search of that one. (I thought it was under the dash, then i suspected the hood spring, then the vents themselves, on and on) What you said about louder with the vents open made me think of that.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 07-17-2023 at 11:55 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:36 PM   #4
SkinnyG

I dicovered the big flat washers in the ES kit for the rear cab mounts were rubbing the frame. Squeaking something awful.

I took them off, and ground 1/2" off one side so they no longer squeak.

YMMV.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote