The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2024, 11:04 AM   #8
MikeB

Re: Video on oil and gas additives

Found this on a Porsche forum discussing cylinder bore scoring. At the minimum, please read the comments in purple text. None of the comments below this line are mine.

The motor oil manufacturers each employ dozens of engineers, tribologists (the science of wear, friction and lubrication), chemists, and lab technicians. They have fabulous research and testing laboratories with everything from scanning electron microscopes to engine dynos. They compete against each other, and collaborate with the engine manufacturers to ensure compatibility of the oil to the manufacturers' specifications. The engineers and scientists go to technical conferences and keep up with any new research. They optimize their additive package based on data from computer design-of-experiment computer programs and extensive testing. The additive package and the base oil are blended with parts per million accuracy. Porsche and all reputable car companies publish specifications for fluids including the motor oil.

Is it reasonable to believe that dumping in a bottle of unknown chemistry helps? At best you are wasting your money. More likely you are doing harm. The new additive might have compounds that are not compatible with what is already in the oil. For sure, the carefully designed additive blend is upset.

Some bullets:
  • I worked for DuPont in the 1980s and read about this in their employee newsletter: DuPont sold Teflon(R) to an additive company, but became concerned. DuPont commissioned an independent engine laboratory to test the additive against the same motor oil with no additive. After seeing the results, DuPont issued a cease and desist order to the additive company, forbidding them to use their Teflon brand name. Without shame, the company changed the name from "Slick 50 with Teflon", to "Slick 50 with TFE", and continued to sell a product they knew was harmful. They purchased the TFE from a different supplier.
  • Also in the 1980s, the Federal Trade Commission sued all of the oil additive companies under truth in advertising laws. Notice you do not see their ads anymore?Instead the direct-market to dealer shops and independent repair shops. If your dealer or mechanic try to sell you an oil additive, they are either ignorant or unscrupulous.
  • For as long as I can remember, Mercedes owner's manuals contain language stating that the engine warranty is void if an aftermarket oil additive is detected in the oil of a warranty-claim engine. Mercedes knows this from experience. I looked for similar language in my 997 manual, and was dismayed that Porsche does not have similar language.
  • All of the reputable motor oil suppliers recommend against using an additive. They also know better.
  • Notice these additives "improve" any oil, regardless of the existing additive package? It would be far more interesting if they would publish what is lacking in a reputable oil, and some data showing an improvement.

Do your own research from objective sources. If you want more ZDDP or molybdenum disulphide, find a reputable oil with higher concentrations in their blend. Then rest easy knowing you are getting a proven additive package.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote