The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #1
Boog
laying low

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Tim, I've said it before, but you have the privilege of living in the oldest historic part of America. It would be easy for someone who grew up there to give it little thought in daily life. I'm no history buff but I do appreciate the significance of the early settlements in this country we call the United States. Some of those pics are timeless it seems.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:50 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Yesterday sucked...
That's a horrible day. pretty scary, too! What the heck is up with short supply of medications? I hope she is doing better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Looks like a nice quiet place to be 9n a Sunday Tim
It is and it is always there. 180 miles of it to explore different sections. Lots of wildlife along the river, too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Tim, I've said it before, but you have the privilege of living in the oldest historic part of America. It would be easy for someone who grew up there to give it little thought in daily life. I'm no history buff but I do appreciate the significance of the early settlements in this country we call the United States. Some of those pics are timeless it seems.
I tell you, Boog. The historic values are growing on me more and more, of the whole country. But the history around here just keeps coming at me. I learn a little and I look into it to learn more. Maryland wasn't the earliest colony but a lot ended up happening here of early national importance. It started with Maryland giving up the land for our nation's capitol. Being on the Chesapeake Bay made a perfect place for a seaport, so Baltimore came to be. And it was close to Washington, DC when traveling far on land was still not too easy. Then transportation to points west became important and we got the canal, the first commercial railroad, and the first national road. Towns pop up along all three and you have a lot of history in a small state. Very easy to access. Since roads were built so early, we have a lot of old routes to take and old road sections left. Lots of old houses, farms, stores, towns, bridges, etc. I love this stuff, so I feel really lucky. It's nice to have so much history to get lost in when the present world is all messed up. I'm going back!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:58 PM   #3
72c20customcamper

4 new tires on one of the cargo trailers . I use the electric tongue jack to break the bead the one in the picture is the spare for the dump trailer . Then it’s just tire irons a flooring mallet to remove and install .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #4
72c20customcamper

This is just sad . This trailer is a 2008 Cargo Mate 18 foot I bought it from a friend who used it as storage since new. It was never registered the dealer dropped it at his place and it sat there till I got it in 2020 . The original tires still have the nibs and ridges from the mold in the tread but plenty of cracks .

I towed it here and it hasn’t moved since . I use it for storage too
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
Rickysnickers

Yesterday sucked. My niece injured her knee, dislocated it and tore one of her ligaments about a month ago. Yesterday she was having a hard time breathing and had chest pain. After going to the urgent care, and then on to the ER, we found she has blood clots in her lungs. Left the ER around 1pm. Spent the next four hours trying to track down a pharmacy that had the blood thinners she had been prescribed. Finally got her back to my house around 5pm. It all started out at 8am.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:02 PM   #6
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Yesterday sucked. My niece injured her knee, dislocated it and tore one of her ligaments about a month ago. Yesterday she was having a hard time breathing and had chest pain. After going to the urgent care, and then on to the ER, we found she has blood clots in her lungs. Left the ER around 1pm. Spent the next four hours trying to track down a pharmacy that had the blood thinners she had been prescribed. Finally got her back to my house around 5pm. It all started out at 8am.
That does sound like a bad day but I'm glad that your niece is better. Emergency rooms are the worst.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:26 PM   #7
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Wow . Hope she feels better soon
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:25 PM   #8
Getter-Done

Quote:
Thinking of You and your Niece.

Hope Ya'll have a better day Tomorrow.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:51 AM   #9
Sheepdip

My buddy just bought a 68 Corvette Roadster project that's been sitting in a garage for about 4 years. He bought it from the previous owner since 1978's widow.

I went over today and helped get it running, we drained the tank and put a battery in it and got it running. It needs a lot of attention which was to be expected, fuel lines and carbs leaking but actually sounded pretty healthy, no misses/funny or not so funny noises. Still got lots of work to do to get it road worthy but will make a nice car. 427ci. 435hp 3x2 Holley's and a 4spd. It is a matching #'s Suffix Coded Motor he was happy to find it.
Attached Images

Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:35 AM   #10
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

My crazy buddy came over with his new van. He got a great deal on it. It's an ugly 2000 Dodge Caravan but super clean and he got it for under 1000 bucks and he REALLY needed a better car. I was shocked that it was as nice as it was.

So he asks if I want to get a beer? Sure. Let's check out your new ride.

MISTAKE!! I kind of forgot how bad he drives. His dog is in back barking its head off and he keeps turning around to tell it to be quiet. He isn't looking at the road. He's busy fussing with the dog and we narrowly miss a fence, some posts and a cliff.

I thought. Well. WTH. I've lived a long time. This is it. I'm not getting out of this van alive. But I reassure myself that he always drives like that and he's never been in an accident. He is just so easily distracted and that dog just wouldn't shut up. We got home without a scratch. But it was a little nerve wracking.

Never a dull moment with this guy. Nice guy, fun guy to hang with, but he doesn't have all his marbles.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:20 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

This place will be getting a brick pizza oven along with a full kitchen. I'm just bringing the structure back. His neighbor had a plumbing supply house years ago. He gave a N.O.S. porcelain "real" farm sink. Not what you see today, a cast iron with rounded edges basin with dish drain on one side you'd see in old farm houses in America. Chrome faucet, too. This is an old store display yet to have water run through it. I'll be back for the party!

Even the end walls were racked a few inches out of plumb. I got the wall repaired and everything standing up straight now. The half into the hill needs the 4" x 6" bottom sills replaced on all three sides, rotted. Only a couple miles from there is a saw mill and they are making up the sills from oak. I hope those are done tomorrow. I'll work on jacking it up and getting those rotted sills out tomorrow. The hardest part is we are keeping the unfinished look and finding materials to match up. Fortunately a friend had some stuff he was hoarding. Hopefully enough of what I need.

Here's the (dirty) sink, How it stands now, the broken wall, and the wall fixed.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-21-2022, 10:16 PM   #12
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Here's the (dirty) sink, How it stands now, the broken wall, and the wall fixed.
Wow, that's a lot of measuring, pushing, pulling, and supporting to get that building straight. Nice work!
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:22 PM   #13
Getter-Done

Great work.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:26 PM   #14
72c20customcamper

Fantastic work Tim . I know from experience it’s harder to save something than to tear down and rebuild . But the end results will be worth it . Would love to have that sink .
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:37 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

You don't appear to be slowing down all that much, Tim! I too know how much that kind of work is. You're kicking it out nicely!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:25 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Thanks everybody. A couple come-alongs, short chains, bolted down d-rings, and good things can happen. I think I've probably slowed down some, but I'm not stopping. Probably slow down some more, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Fantastic work Tim . I know from experience it’s harder to save something than to tear down and rebuild . But the end results will be worth it . Would love to have that sink .
I'm just lazy. This way I only had to tear it half way down and will only build half . No, you got that right. Top of the walls all busted and bottoms rotted. The 6x6 post in the one corner is also rotted on the bottom. Even if I could cut that post out of the corner without scarring things up, then what would be left holding things together? I'm going to double up on the plate in the corners (other post bottom is soft) and cut 4" off the bottoms. Of all the types of work we carpenters get into I think saving an old building is my favorite

Tim

Old 09-22-2022, 01:47 AM   #17
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
Wow, that's a lot of measuring, pushing, pulling, and supporting to get that building straight. Nice work!
X2. Hard believe it's the same place. You're making quick work on that place. If I was the owner I'd be a happy camper.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 09-22-2022, 07:09 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

He told me yesterday he is having a party the first weekend in Oct and asked if I'd have it done. He waited on his insurance company a couple months! I guess TV shows have made people feel there has to be a deadline that will be a challenge. I thought he wanted a carefully executed quality job, not a done yesterday job. That's what you get from the guys who wouldn't take this on.

Tim

Old 09-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #19
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
He told me yesterday he is having a party the first weekend in Oct and asked if I'd have it done. He waited on his insurance company a couple months! I guess TV shows have made people feel there has to be a deadline that will be a challenge. I thought he wanted a carefully executed quality job, not a done yesterday job. That's what you get from the guys who wouldn't take this on.
I always tell guys that do a job for me to just do it. I'm not the expert, you are.

I have these guys call me an ask me how I want this or that. I just tell them to do it as if it was their place. No deadline BS. Just do a good job.

I did have one guy. He took 3 months to drywall my garage. He did a good job but he would go MIA. It was just one excuse after another. It's too hot to work, it's too cold to work, it's raining. Raining? It's an inside job dude. WTF?

And I know he wasn't busy because his girlfriend works with my wife and she was always complaining how they were broke and she paid all the bills.

I'll bet she did. Because this guy won't get off the couch. She would tell my wife that she would get on him to go to work and he'd come over and work for 20 minutes to shut her up and take off. And then you wouldn't see him for a week.

It's a shame because he really did do good work. He could really make some money if he got off his rear end.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 09-22-2022, 07:35 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post

I did have one guy. He took 3 months to drywall my garage. He did a good job but he would go MIA. It was just one excuse after another. It's too hot to work, it's too cold to work, it's raining...
Sounds a lot like excuses to drink you always hear from alkies

Tim

Old 09-22-2022, 08:12 PM   #21
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Sounds a lot like excuses to drink you always hear from alkies
Could be. But I've known some contractors that could pound some beers and still showed up for work right on time. I think that this guy was just mooching off his girlfriend. She had a good job.

I know his father gave him a relatively new F150 to help him get his "business' going. But all that amounted to was that he had a free truck and free rent. Courtesy of the people trying to get him to do something. I guess his motto was. Why work when you can freeload off the people that love you.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:27 PM   #22
72c20customcamper

Replaced the motor mounts on my 64 Hawk . At least I was able to work in an upright position. Really feel I’m neglecting these cars amazing how dusty they get inside guess I need to get some good car covers .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:10 PM   #23
Sheepdip

Yep. I know one of them dudes, super talented, excellent work. He just don't do enough of it, takes him weeks to do a 1 week job, then b*tches about not making enough money.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:08 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

You're preparing for Jack Frost while I went playing looking at antique trucks (Saturday)
Attached Images

Tim

Old 09-26-2022, 08:36 PM   #25
72c20customcamper

Quote:
You're preparing for Jack Frost while I went playing looking at antique trucks (Saturday)
My uncle had a 47 like this but it was a tow truck with a Holmes wrecker .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.