The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #276
Harpie

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

That primer looks great! And the exhaust holes turned out awesome and I think your frame fix will work out great or ya could always cut a piece from a long bed frame since they are all over the place. But you got some great progress!
Posted via Mobile Device
Harpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #277
oldman3

Super nice job on everything....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #278
El Campo

Frame fix should turn out great. IF you all of a sudden want a piece from a long bed frame as has been suggested just hit me up (if you want) as I have a donor frame and I'll send you that piece for free, you just pay shipping. Pipes look good for the exhausts. I wish I had done mine like you did instead of with the hot wrench.
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #279
El Campo

Is that a long bed floor that you are going to shorten? I did that on mine, really easy to do and sure is cheaper than buying aftermarket!
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #280
jhaymon

Quote:
I have a friend who paints tell me similar stories about top dollar guns, I guess you find one that works the way you want and never get rid of it, I am just a diy guy not much for painting myself.
i dont normally go in for high end gear. most of my pro paint gear is super old. the sharp guns are the newest i have and they're 8 years old and were the bottom end guns when i bought them. i just got my new devilbiss finishline guns in yesterday. as soon as it stops raining im going to load em up and see if they're any good. at least i can use the dekups with em without haveing to order a new adapter.

the industrial primmer your using is good stuff. i used it to paint my backhoe a few years back and it's some really tough stuff. i haven't scratched trough it yet.
as for the frame. yeah thous are frame clamp marks. it was a clamp that bolted to both sides of the frame and you just toqued it down and put a hydrolic ram between em and just pushed or pulled till they were in spec. not very scientific but it worked. must have taken a side impact.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #281
trashmanryan

Dan, the frame is turning out really nice. Good score on that bed floor.
Posted via Mobile Device
trashmanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #282
mikeleeshields

Great build Dan. I am going to have to do a lot of the same cancer repair you have done. Your build will be a nice point of reference.
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #283
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Any chance you're heading to northern Canada in the next few days? Could really use those welding skills on my firewall kit keep up the good work it's turning out great
Posted via Mobile Device
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #284
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerwade View Post
Looking good my friend,, looking good!!
Thanks Wade!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpie View Post
That primer looks great! And the exhaust holes turned out awesome and I think your frame fix will work out great or ya could always cut a piece from a long bed frame since they are all over the place. But you got some great progress!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I though about a frame donor piece for the repair but I have plenty of steel at work. Haven't got to the repair yet so might go that direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Super nice job on everything....Jim
Thanks Jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Frame fix should turn out great. IF you all of a sudden want a piece from a long bed frame as has been suggested just hit me up (if you want) as I have a donor frame and I'll send you that piece for free, you just pay shipping. Pipes look good for the exhausts. I wish I had done mine like you did instead of with the hot wrench.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Might do that depends on how my bend radius lines up, I think I got it right but it was a guessing game. I am kind of limited on press brake dies for material over .125". Thank you, I wish I could have used our hypertherm plasma at work instead of that hole saw that was a pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Is that a long bed floor that you are going to shorten? I did that on mine, really easy to do and sure is cheaper than buying aftermarket!
Posted via Mobile Device
It is a Short bed floor, Suspect is going Wood on his truck so I got a deal, We do a lot of friendly business together. Mine is savable but this is much easier, Guess I will have a short bed floor to sell later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
i dont normally go in for high end gear. most of my pro paint gear is super old. the sharp guns are the newest i have and they're 8 years old and were the bottom end guns when i bought them. i just got my new devilbiss finishline guns in yesterday. as soon as it stops raining im going to load em up and see if they're any good. at least i can use the dekups with em without haveing to order a new adapter.

the industrial primmer your using is good stuff. i used it to paint my backhoe a few years back and it's some really tough stuff. i haven't scratched trough it yet.
as for the frame. yeah thous are frame clamp marks. it was a clamp that bolted to both sides of the frame and you just toqued it down and put a hydrolic ram between em and just pushed or pulled till they were in spec. not very scientific but it worked. must have taken a side impact.
Thanks for the info on the frame clamps, definitely strange looking. I have not found any evidence of side impact but the truck did have a mismatched hood and front fender on that side but the front of the frame looks perfect. Who knows what really happened over its life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanryan View Post
Dan, the frame is turning out really nice. Good score on that bed floor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man, nice to see another Okie on here! man we are everywhere on this forum. I guess we all love trucks down here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeshields View Post
Great build Dan. I am going to have to do a lot of the same cancer repair you have done. Your build will be a nice point of reference.
Thanks, I learned all of what I know from this forum. Great stuff! I would have been lost without it

I should get some progress this weekend and update saturday or sunday, that silly old '93 GMC is killing me trying to fix everything and get it up for sale this weekend.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #285
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrumpipeline View Post
Any chance you're heading to northern Canada in the next few days? Could really use those welding skills on my firewall kit keep up the good work it's turning out great
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe next summer to southern Canada for a fishing trip I would be glad to help if we were closer. Thanks for the compliment!

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
Old 08-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #286
es67chevy

Great work on the frame thus far. Looks like you are doing it right. I wish we would have blasted out frame and started over. Would have been cheaper and faster in the long run. Keep on progressin'

1967 C10 SWB
383 Stroker/TH400
Brother's One Piece Power Windows
Shaved Doors, Markers, and Bumpers
4/6 Early Classic Drop
Rear Fuel Tank (49-52 Chevy Car Tank)
Surf Blue Paint

Bella Vista, AR (Arkansas for those that get the 'A' states mixed up)

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330869
es67chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #287
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by es67chevy View Post
Great work on the frame thus far. Looks like you are doing it right. I wish we would have blasted out frame and started over. Would have been cheaper and faster in the long run. Keep on progressin'
Thanks Eric! I can only hope mine turns out as nice as yours. Yours it Beautiful!!!

Here is a little progress.... Welded in my exhaust cut outs, My welds are not perfect, don't hate. Well I am really kinda anal so I am being critical of myself. The welder and I have not been in total agreement lately. Mostly bone head me not doing a better job of prepping (cleaning my steel)
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #288
67c10rustbuket

And a little progress on my frame repair section. My patch turned out to be right on with the radius of the existing frame. I sanded the grey coating off the steel plate but still managed to get a little contamination so I will have to grind out a few small bad spots and re-weld it. The pic of it clamped in place is before I realized I needed to sand that coating off, I removed it and sanded then put it back on. Anyways..Looks like I missed some just above the cab mount on the horizontal weld (see the little pits)

Once I redo that I will weld the inside and do a final smoothing on the outside. Probably leave the bead on the inside. maybe idk. The outside will be completely smooth when done.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #289
Crash_OK

Nice work Dan.. Looks really nice...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #290
oldman3

Welds look good to me, nice repair work...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #291
TchncnDen

Those welds look good to me. Now my frame is jealous of your frame.
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #292
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TchncnDen View Post
Those welds look good to me. Now my frame is jealous of your frame.
My engine is jealous of your engine Good night all!!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #293
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Welds look good to me, nice repair work...Jim
Thanks Jim, We dont get along sometimes but they are decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Nice work Dan.. Looks really nice...
Thanks Mark!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #294
DD1

Wish my welds looked that good. The welds around the exhaust cut out look nice. As does the frame patch.
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #295
NewType72

man I need to do some cutoue for my swb so I can tuck up higher oh well gotta make the money for the frame up resto in a couple years

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #296
XxCHEVYMANxX

Hey Dan, finished reading through your build. you have done some awesome fab work ! I'll be checking on your progress.
1977 Trans Am (Project)
1965 Chevelle (Project)
XxCHEVYMANxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #297
jhaymon

are you going to box the frame? i normally put box older frames if i've had to cut them. i personally have never had a frame break around a repair ,but after all the horror stoies ive heard from people i decided it was a good just-in-case. i can see from the welds your more than capable. i've got a buddy that boxed a whole frame and turned the frame into an air tank for his bags. im not a big fan of bagged trucks, but his looks clean
Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #298
bjcaldwe

Looks good Dan. Nice job on the repair. What is the minimum size steel to use as boxing plates?
bjcaldwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #299
Lower

3/16 works fine bj
Looks good Dan, did the frame move any when you cut that section out? Thats the only fear I would have taking those dimples out.

Ol Green 1970 K10ish LWB,454/400/205, been in family since new.
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516056
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #300
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice work on the repair and the cross member. You got me wondering about mine being stout enough without brace tubes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by mcbassin; 08-27-2012 at 10:33 PM.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote