The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #276
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Rebuild on a shoestring.....continued

Got my steering shaft and rag joint in as well as some emblems for the rally wheels if I use them. Plan to work on the truck a lot tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #277
stealthy '69
'69 Chevy SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Got my steering shaft and rag joint in as well as some emblems for the rally wheels if I use them. Plan to work on the truck a lot tomorrow.
What kind of emblems? I thin you're due for some more pics!!

'69 Chevy SWB Fleet, Primer Black; Project No Name
'06 Chevy Trailblazer, Blueish Silver?; Wifes DD, Sold
'08 Chevy Impala SS, Silver; the new DD, AND IT IS FUN!!!
'99 Dodge Dakota R/T, Intense Blue; DD, Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
The tig welds are not the prettiest i have seen but they do have good penetration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
There are two things in life where penetration is really important.....and one of them is welding.
stealthy '69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #278
Weasel Diesel

Looking good man!! Get that joker finished up and bring it up to Hardee's in Chester!!
Weasel Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #279
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Diesel View Post
Looking good man!! Get that joker finished up and bring it up to Hardee's in Chester!!
Hey, Welcome to the board. I've been to the Hardee's several times but it's been years...is it sat night? Have you been to Ironbridge sports park on Friday nights to check that out? That'll be the first place I go because my family loves to go there...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #280
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthy '69 View Post
What kind of emblems? I thin you're due for some more pics!!
They are NOS blue bowtie stick on emblems that go on the top of the rally wheel center cap. Have to see if they fit because they weren't made for our trucks...
Old 09-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #281
XxCHEVYMANxX

Looking good, all your metal work is coming along nicely.
Throwin' Sparks!
1977 Trans Am (Project)
1965 Chevelle (Project)
XxCHEVYMANxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #282
VA72C10
VA72C10

Well, I ground down the welds on the floor a little and then used the wire wheel turned on end to clear out old seam sealer around the cab floor seams...then installed new seam sealer. Looks pretty good and will look better once I paint and spray paintable bedliner....and then cover it with the full floor cover I really just want this truck solid and as close to rust free as possible...not concerned with perfect on this one as it's a budget build (with a couple splurges like the tilt ) Will take pics tomorrow before I paint and after.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #283
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX View Post
Looking good, all your metal work is coming along nicely.
Throwin' Sparks!
Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 01:48 AM   #284
chevy88

I wish our trucks up here were that rust free!!!!!

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #285
Weasel Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Hey, Welcome to the board. I've been to the Hardee's several times but it's been years...is it sat night? Have you been to Ironbridge sports park on Friday nights to check that out? That'll be the first place I go because my family loves to go there...
Yea, Southern Knight Cruisers is Hardees on saturday, Yes, The sports park is good too. I go every friday. It has gotten better there since Wolfman Jon dj's ther on fridays.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #286
VA72C10
VA72C10

Cool! What do you drive there? I won't be able to make it tonight but will try to come up next week...not sure if it'll be with the truck or not...we'll see how the week goes
Old 09-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #287
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Yea, Southern Knight Cruisers is Hardees on saturday, Yes, The sports park is good too. I go every friday. It has gotten better there since Wolfman Jon dj's ther on fridays.
Trying to set up a meet and greet for this coming Friday or Saturday...post here if you can come.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post4904162
Old 09-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #288
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy88 View Post
I wish our trucks up here were that rust free!!!!!
It's funny...one guy saying how rusty the truck is and one saying almost rust free It just shows how much climate/region affects a truck and its' value....this is a rust bucket out west/NW and it's a rust free survivor in Canada

I'm pretty pleased with it overall. Not rust free but will be soon!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #289
VA72C10
VA72C10

Small update...with pics

Here's the seam sealer. I hate working with stuff like this and caulk. I'm very messy with it. I have gotten better with caulk around countertops/tubs out of necessity but use a small tool that scrapes it up...that won't work in the truck. Glenn gave me leftover bondo scrapers I used with minimal success

But it's all sealed up now. Will look better painted up and with the textured liner sprayed.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:57 AM   #290
VA72C10
VA72C10

I'll scrape off excess when it dries. The black part in the sealer isn't a hole...it's dirt....I was lazy and instead of setting up my small pancake compressor and blowing out all the dirt/rust I tried to get it as good as possible....well...that didn't work. Next time I'll take the extra 15 minutes.........

...or not

Here's the cab supports welded in (all four are done-slip on style I had laying around-got them for free with a grille I bought off craigslist)

you can see the driver's cab corner still needs a little patch at the bottom. It's solid other than that. Glenn did the passenger rocker already

Old 09-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #291
VA72C10
VA72C10

Here's the brake booster setup I'll likely use (might get a new booster if I find one cheap) Truck already has a new master but it's surface rusted so I'll either sand and paint or get a new one when I swap it out...

Window channel I grabbed out of my beadblasted parts last week and got around to painting

This is the sealer for future reference...Glenn gave this tube to me

Old 09-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #292
VA72C10
VA72C10

I honestly never paid attention to the front end....I bought a sway bar...then found out...oh yeah...it's got one...that's why it rides well even though everything is 41 years old

Old 09-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #293
VA72C10
VA72C10

I posted a blurry pic of the dirty/rusty HURST shifter at the beginning of this. Took some 0000 steel wool and chrome polish tonight....came out nice. Looks better in person than with the camera flash...

Old 09-18-2011, 04:07 AM   #294
VA72C10
VA72C10

I'll hit it one more time before I put the boot back on. I have 100 things I want to do but they should wait for paint. (Gauge cluster upgrade to tach-wait to take out as I drive-I don't want oil everywhere and don't want to take it out and put it back in 10 times) Floor mat...really want to see it installed (wait till after paint)
Shifter boot...might put this on the next time I drive so hot air doesn't come up into the cab
Steering wheel/column. Thinking of saving the CPP column and just painting and using this one....it's a budget build....right?

I already am looking at a couple SWB's...in addition to the other vehicles I was talking about...so I might sell this as soon as I paint and then button it up to finance a Swb build...
Old 09-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #295
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

You know that sealer has a little tube on the end that you just snip the end and point it at the little seam to seal right? It's not like bondo you put on with a putty knife. lol. That 1st pic made me laugh.

Good progress. Those VA antique plates are very different from any others I've seen. You going to try the paint spraying yourself? Did you decide on the color?
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #296
Weasel Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post

Good progress. Those VA antique plates are very different from any others I've seen. You going to try the paint spraying yourself? Did you decide on the color?
I know,... but thats the way they give them to you. Virginia has the ugliest antique plates on EARF!! They give you a choice between Kindergarten painted black, or "Oh my God my eyes are ruined" Yellow. You would figure as much money we have to pay in taxes and stuff, that they would come up with something more appealing and dignified for a restored classic.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #297
XxCHEVYMANxX

Nice progress. I'm with you on the seam sealer. when I did my rain gutter I thought I'd never get it right. at least in the cab it won't be seen.
1977 Trans Am (Project)
1965 Chevelle (Project)
XxCHEVYMANxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #298
Rokcrln

Yep sealer is a messy thing. What you might want to try next time is give a quick sanding of the area you want to seal, wipe down and spray some primmer or paint over the area then take some 3/4" wide masking tape and out line your seam. Apply your sealer and wipe it in with a wet finger, let it tack for about 5-10 min and remove the tape for cleaner results. I always do it this way as it will limit my mess from growing from just the seam all the way out to the rest of the area.

Oh and congrates on the new one! They are a blast! My new one is now 4 and smarter then me

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #299
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
You know that sealer has a little tube on the end that you just snip the end and point it at the little seam to seal right? It's not like bondo you put on with a putty knife. lol. That 1st pic made me laugh.
There's no excuse other than it was 2am and I was leaning on the seat because I was too lazy to unbolt it. And whenever I got any extras on, I just wiped it with the bondo knife to fill in the pitting in the floor from where the padding was It won't hurt anything and I plan to clean it up a bit with a scraper before I paint.

Quote:
Those are the new ones. The older tags I use on my other trucks alternated black with white and white with black every other year and looked like modern plates and what most other states had....but these were with the truck so I'm going to run them...

Quote:
I know,... but thats the way they give them to you. Virginia has the ugliest antique plates on EARF!! They give you a choice between Kindergarten painted black, or "Oh my God my eyes are ruined" Yellow. You would figure as much money we have to pay in taxes and stuff, that they would come up with something more appealing and dignified for a restored classic.
Yeah...no yellow for me I've seen some really nice cars and trucks with those tags and it RUINS them to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX View Post
Nice progress. I'm with you on the seam sealer. when I did my rain gutter I thought I'd never get it right. at least in the cab it won't be seen.
Thanks. If I was building a show truck I would have been much neater...on this I'll scrape off the excess and paint over it so it didn't matter....plus it's underneath the vinyl flooring anyways I just wanted the cab sealed up. The only thing left is new door rubber and some new grommets on the firewall as some are missing/deteriorated...
Old 09-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #300
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Yep sealer is a messy thing. What you might want to try next time is give a quick sanding of the area you want to seal, wipe down and spray some primmer or paint over the area then take some 3/4" wide masking tape and out line your seam. Apply your sealer and wipe it in with a wet finger, let it tack for about 5-10 min and remove the tape for cleaner results. I always do it this way as it will limit my mess from growing from just the seam all the way out to the rest of the area.

Oh and congrates on the new one! They are a blast! My new one is now 4 and smarter then me

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Thanks for the tips. I thought about that...but it was too much work As I was saying above if I did a show truck or nicer cruiser I'd definitely tape it off and take my time. This was about function and NO form

Kids are definitely a blast. I now have 3 girls...almost 7, just turned 4, and 1 month