The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2019, 12:49 AM   #3501
evilokc

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

today I spent about 3 hours ( probably closer to 4) installing the A/C condenser and dryer. its really not a difficult job but my core support isn't stock. so nothing meant for stock fits. I was able to use the passenger side vintage air bracket. I didn't care about the driver side. I wanted the passenger side because it has a built in bracket for the dryer and all the hard lines are routed assuming the dryer is there. it worked out well. tomorrow i will start hacking away at the renaming items on the list

1)paint compressor mount
2) mount compressor
3) run hoses
4)review and double check evaporator installation
5) 100 other things i cant think of at the moment.
Attached Images

evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:27 AM   #3502
idbeast

I now have front lights, and the English Bulldogs approval!
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:57 AM   #3503
MARTINSR

Good to see you guys getting something done, can't wait to get back to that!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #3504
evilokc

back at the a/c today. a lot of what I got done isn't photo worthy but its important. I got the compressor mocked. I need to make a spacer but other than that the compressor is ready to polish and the bracket ready for paint. I have the evaporator ready to go back in. I got the rest of the hard lines mocked. I had to do a little trimming on the vintage air bracket and I clearanced the core support. started working on the hoses. this is where It gets complicated. i bought the evaporator kit thinking i could use the a/c hoses i had. the two main hoses will work but im going to either have to buy 2 hoses from vintage air or have new ends put on my hoses. will see which is cheaper. i ordered my inner firewall cover. it should be here this week. i need to install that before i mount the evaporator. so this week im going to be sealing up the firewall and trying to source the 2 hoses. fun day.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2019, 03:32 AM   #3505
DransportGarage

Got the other fender ready for final primer, and started one of the bed sides. It was 91 degrees, I'm sick of sanding, and I quit early. Another hundred hours or so and I'll be completely in paint!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:58 AM   #3506
MiraclePieCo

Still working on adding the back and side skirts to my Chevelle bucket seats. It pretty much entails removing all the upholstery that I paid to have installed. So far I've spent two days on it. I'm learning more about upholstering than I ever wanted to know. I'll won't bore you with pics yet, but I'll post some when I'm done.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #3507
MiraclePieCo

Got one seat done. My seats are '67 but I used '66 back covers to eliminate the push button back locks. The back cover mounting systems weren't compatible so I substituted upholstered screw caps to hold them on. Definitely not show quality but good enough for the level of build level that I'm going for in this truck.

Next task, door panels.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 07-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #3508
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Got one seat done. My seats are '67 but I used '66 back covers to eliminate the push button back locks. The back cover mounting systems weren't compatible so I substituted upholstered screw caps to hold them on. Definitely not show quality but good enough for the level of build level that I'm going for in this truck.

Next task, door panels.
those are great looking seats man
Old 07-16-2019, 11:39 PM   #3509
nvrdone

so how does it feel to sit in new seats? hows the position relative to the steering wheel, brakes, shifter etc?
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #3510
evilokc

a/c continued. i got the missing hose made today. took me about 3 hours. i had to go to two different hose makers before to get it made and then realized i was missing a piece of information that might cause issue. had to drive 20 miles home look at truck drive 20 miles back. got it home and it was a tiny bit long but works. once i had that i mocked the entire system. its gonna work well. took the interior parts and hoses back out and started working on the giant hole in my firewall. to review. my firewall isn't stock it was hacked up and "smoothed" by a professional shop. so the vintage air system didn't fit. i had to hack the firewall up to get it in. the hole was large and im making the patch in two pieces. the main piece is done. i will tac it in tomorrow and then make the second smaller patch. i also have 10 other small holes to fill. i only have a tig set up which isn't optimal for body work but its what i have so i will make it work.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2019, 02:22 AM   #3511
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
those are great looking seats man
Thanks. Chevelle bucket seats command ridiculous prices on Ebay. I saw a recovered set last week that got bid up to $2500 and still didn't make reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
so how does it feel to sit in new seats? hows the position relative to the steering wheel, brakes, shifter etc?
I set the position specifically for myself, so it's great for me but I can't speak for anyone else. I prefer these old-style seats with no headrests, no bolsters, nothing fancy, just good old black tuck-and-roll.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:15 AM   #3512
DransportGarage

Quote:
Thanks. Chevelle bucket seats command ridiculous prices on Ebay. I saw a recovered set last week that got bid up to $2500 and still didn't make reserve.

I set the position specifically for myself, so it's great for me but I can't speak for anyone else. I prefer these old-style seats with no headrests, no bolsters, nothing fancy, just good old black tuck-and-roll.
Nice choice on the seats, especially in the sedan delivery. They look great!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #3513
evilokc

well today was welding day. it didn't go well. I was using a practice piece and I kept burning through. I just couldn't get the tig dialed into it. I was laying decent tacs but as far as welds it wasn't good. I spoke to a buddy and hes going to loan me his mig. that will be a lot easier.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #3514
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
Nice choice on the seats, especially in the sedan delivery. They look great!
Thanks, that's a real compliment coming from a guy with a truck as nice as yours.

Today I got the passenger seat installed. Although it's really hard to photograph black interior in a dark garage, I am blown away with how nice these turned out.

Now I turn my attention to making matching door cards.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #3515
MARTINSR

Quote:

Next task, door panels.
I had the same seats in my truck back in the seventies! One was white, bought them both out of cars at the wrecking yard. I couldn't find two black ones in good shape. Painted the white one black with SEM rattle can and forgot I ever did it! No kidding, ran them for a few years and not a speck of that SEM came off!

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #3516
Livemeyer

Quote:

Next task, door panels.
Interesting, I'm looking at your pictures and I see a detail that relates to what I'm doing. I see the driver's door relay in your last picture is mounted 'up' so the triangle shaped mount lines up with all three mount holes. When I take my panels off and look at my door release relays they are mounted upside down to yours and the long bar is flat. My wife had complained the other day that she couldn't get the passenger door open (nevermind that the door alignment is completely fubar) so I ordered a new door relay. I put it in only to realize half (more than half?) the problem is that the interior door handles are completely stripped of gearing. So, now I have ordered new handles too.

Kinda goes along with the other thing I was working on, replacement wipers. Since new wipers won't mount on the original arms, I bought new wiper arms as well. This old truck is keeping me busy for sure! (And, in debt.)
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #3517
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I had the same seats in my truck back in the seventies! One was white, bought them both out of cars at the wrecking yard. I couldn't find two black ones in good shape. Painted the white one black with SEM rattle can and forgot I ever did it! No kidding, ran them for a few years and not a speck of that SEM came off!

Brian
I can't count the number of interiors in the 1970s that I dyed black using Mar-Hyde, but it would always wear off in about a year. Wish I'd known about your SEM technique back then.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #3518
Black_Sheep

MPC the seats look great and I bet they are pretty comfortable too.

I had to fix the power cord on my garage fan before I could even start working on the truck. Cleaned up, fluids checked and full of fuel. Headed to the Summer Nationals tomorrow morning...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #3519
evilokc

got another small patch done. they are tacked in but that's as far as I got. I need to make one more patch to close off the 4 holes above it and then I can finish weld and clean up the patches. I also have several small bolt holes to fill. I know its ugly now but I will get it smooth as a gorillas butt
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #3520
Black_Sheep

I had to fix the power cord on my garage fan before I could even start working on the truck. Cleaned up, fluids checked and full of fuel. Headed to the Summer Nationals tomorrow morning...
Old 07-19-2019, 12:36 AM   #3521
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post

That's a gorgeous truck, inside and out. And I want your super clean garage too.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:41 AM   #3522
Livemeyer

I was able to remount my heater core after having had removed it, sanded all the rust and spray painted it. Not planning to hook it up to the radiator at this time; was more to block the heat coming through the firewall rather than provide heat.

Got started on installing new windlace on passenger side. This is unbearably difficult. I started at the rear of the door at the bottom and made it up to the top corner, but the corner and the top have proven to be a greater challenge, especially since I'm trying to not mess up the new cardboard headliner I just installed.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #3523
nvrdone

best thing I found for installing wind lace is dawn dish washing soap ( or any liquid soap)
Just a few drops in the channel makes the seal slide right in. also using the handle end of a plastic fork or knife helps push the seal into the channel
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #3524
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
best thing I found for installing wind lace is dawn dish washing soap ( or any liquid soap)
Just a few drops in the channel makes the seal slide right in. also using the handle end of a plastic fork or knife helps push the seal into the channel
Thanks for the great tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
got another small patch done. they are tacked in but that's as far as I got. I need to make one more patch to close off the 4 holes above it and then I can finish weld and clean up the patches. I also have several small bolt holes to fill. I know its ugly now but I will get it smooth as a gorillas butt
Looking good. Is that a fuel line right below where you are welding? Be careful!
Old 07-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #3525
Black_Sheep

Waiting to get in to the Street Machine Nationals early this morning...
Attached Images