The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #376
Advanced Design

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIZZLER View Post
Thanks for checking in on my build. Your burb brings back great memories of working on mine. Really diggin the work you are doing. Floors look great.
Thanks Chizzler! Your crew build is so cool...and lurking on your Burb build prompted me to start on mine before the 35 Master was done. I am way open for ideas and feedback on this one so don't be shy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Sweet looking view, both from front and rear...Jim
Thank you Jim. Always appreciate your encouragement. Really glad to see you in the shop some with the updates on your 50. That is an awesome truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Thanks AD. I used 16g for my front floor section. It's nice unless you need to put a bend in it...

I appreciate your offer. Once I figure out a plan I will let you know.

Marc
Sounds good Marc. Looking forward to your build updates. Iceburgh will be doing final assembly soon on his I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
too bad all that hard work gets covered up! I hate when people hack up the radio spot. A. delete plates aren't cheap and b. if there is any damage in that area it is hard to fix been there done that. I hope you find a way to incorporate the delete plate if you go no radio (which I'm not a huge fan of them either) I have one in my 51' and its hidden, I never use it. Will be putting one in my current build but it will be hidden also. I just rock the delete plates, that area shaved is just too much blank space for me.
Hey 99 at least the floor will give really good support and it looks kinda cool from the bottom. It is a bummer on the hacked radio spot. I agree it is a big blank space when smoothed over. Wife informed me we are going to have tunes so have to figure out something. I'll have to do a lot of research because I have no idea what is needed for a sound system.

Guys, thanks for the pats on the back.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #377
50 Chevy LS3

AD, you have a very NICE project. VERY well documented with pictures and explanations. I'm kinda new to this jumbo truck forum, and fascinated with all the cool projects and talented people.
I'm curious about your toeboard clearance, to clear a 4L65E. I'm kind of on hold with my project, for the same reason. Some say it will fit without any cutting, but I'm doubtful.
Also, I'm relatively close to you, over in west-central Indiana. I've been wanting to go over and visit the guy you speak so highly of, Trick Trucks and Rods over in Ohio. He advertises in our Indiana Auto & RV all the time. Looks like a cool place.
50 Chevy LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #378
CodyHicks

Nice work. Skimmed through it. I'll go back and read it all when I get a chance though!
CodyHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #379
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Chevy LS3 View Post
AD, you have a very NICE project. VERY well documented with pictures and explanations. I'm kinda new to this jumbo truck forum, and fascinated with all the cool projects and talented people.
I'm curious about your toeboard clearance, to clear a 4L65E. I'm kind of on hold with my project, for the same reason. Some say it will fit without any cutting, but I'm doubtful.
Also, I'm relatively close to you, over in west-central Indiana. I've been wanting to go over and visit the guy you speak so highly of, Trick Trucks and Rods over in Ohio. He advertises in our Indiana Auto & RV all the time. Looks like a cool place.
Thanks Steve! There are a lot of talented folks here and I am learning every time I follow builds or questions. Probably my next step will be to set up the powertrain and I will check clearance. And there are number of AD builds with the 4L65E on here you can check out as well.

Yeah I have lots of pictures and a lotta yackity yack..hrpt, car events, grandkids, other projects...just the car life we live and have fun with.

And welcome to the forum. Don't be shy about sharing your build...we all learn from each other.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #380
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyHicks View Post
Nice work. Skimmed through it. I'll go back and read it all when I get a chance though!
Thanks Cody! Lotta yackity yack in this thread like I've mentioned and pretty basic build stuff....nothing cool like yours. Looking forward to your build updates!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #381
reaper71

You are too modest!!!
Your work is very clean and tidy....

Mark...
reaper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #382
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper71 View Post
You are too modest!!!
Your work is very clean and tidy....

Mark...
Thanks Mark! Means a lot...I try my best. And really enjoy the build process. Looking forward to doing this full time with only one non-paying customer..

Hope to get some shop time Saturday!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #383
Advanced Design

Just one thing before I forget. The one inch deep cross members under the front floor are very close to the frame. They clear (I hadn't noticed until today) by maybe 1/2 inch.

Wish I could say I cleverly planned that....I just guessed on cross member depth and got lucky.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #384
Advanced Design

Quote:
wow looking good. I'd just keep it moving, make a simple box, esp if your gonna cover it. I mean yeah any reason to make a cool teardrop would be cool but this is the 20yr wait right? On a side note.... something that would add a tad bit more time is those openings above the wheels. I can't help to think a cool sliding door on each side that would let you have access to that area, as like a hidden compartment or an endless amount of things you can put in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty 46 View Post
Oh ... I'm with 99 to life on the compartments ... I hadn't really noticed the space till he pointed that out. I like the sliding doors for a stash area ...
Kinda this direction 99 & R46? Since I didn't go with the chopped pyramid idea ratty, (still think it would look pretty good) I thought I would give this a try. Still in rough mock up stage. Gotta make the ends of the box and the side close outs yet.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #385
Advanced Design

I purchased a DIY weld it up yourself finger press brake and showed putting it together here.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=657465

Looks like a nice unit.

So I used it on some 16 gauge to make the box for the side. Manufacturers website and videos explains it will bend up to 110 degrees.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #386
Advanced Design

I guess it does if you measure the angle from the other side. Gotta think about a modified insert so I can really get a 90 degree edge.

So I figured out how to get pretty close to the 90 degrees.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #387
Advanced Design

I really went to school (and learned a lot) on trying to make the box.

First, I laid it out to make it from one piece. Nope, press wasn't wide enough.

Then I laid it out to make it from three pieces. Planned the center piece and the two sides. Nope, can't bend a 3" deep channel because of interference with the press. Another scrap / practice piece.

Next, I made the center section from two pieces and welded them together. Next up will be to make the flanged edge pieces and weld it all together. Before welding in place I'll coat the inside of the quarter panels with a rust encapsulator.

I didn't get a very good grade on this one..... and I learned a ton. That is what matters!
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #388
Advanced Design

Went over to a young friends place to check out his first shop. He put up a 30' x 40' and it looks really nice. He is the son of a really good friend I've known since we were 5 years old. Just really good people on the neighboring farm. More like family.

Anyway, he is equipping his shop and mentioned he would like to have a press. Happens I bought this press from his Dad (maybe his Grandpa?) about 15 years ago and I've used it one time. Asked him to come over and look at it.

He came over, liked it and asked how much. Since this family helps us so much (his uncle welded the press brake together and wouldn't take any money) I gave it to him. Nope, he wouldn't stand for that, he wanted to give me something.

We finally settled on he will come over and help set up the engine and transmission in the 'Burb. Much easier with two than one. When he was about 17 he helped me build the '48 truck and he is really good mechanically...real talented.

It is a blessing to have such good friends in our lives, isn't it?

Thanks for stopping by.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #389
ratty 46

That'll work with a revered piano hinged cover that you use a flush Dzus to keep it closed ... or a slider like an old school medicine cabinet ...

As for the pyramid cover ... no biggie - your final rendition turned out fine & it mimicked the wheel house. I'll use the pyramid on my next truck - just sold my '64 fairlane race car so freed up some "project" cash!!

As for the "cover" design I'd be using some aircraft rivets & brushed aluminum.

Nice re-gift on the press - kind of a pay it forward thing. Wish I had people living close to me like that! You r a lucky man.

R46

Last edited by ratty 46; 01-24-2015 at 09:27 PM.
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #390
oldman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
It is a blessing to have such good friends in our lives, isn't it?
It sure is, and they are hard to come by...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #391
Advanced Design

Quote:
That'll work with a revered piano hinged cover that you use a flush Dzus to keep it closed ... or a slider like an old school medicine cabinet ...

As for the pyramid cover ... no biggie - your final rendition turned out fine & it mimicked the wheel house. I'll use the pyramid on my next truck - just sold my '64 fairlane race car so freed up some "project" cash!!

As for the "cover" design I'd be using some aircraft rivets & brushed aluminum.

Nice re-gift on the press - kind of a pay it forward thing. Wish I had people living close to me like that! You r a lucky man.

R46
Great ideas R46! Usually I am really limited by imagination. I was thinking of carpeting over the box with flap access. Project cash! Cool! Yes, we are pretty fortunate.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #392
Advanced Design

Quote:
It sure is, and they are hard to come by...Jim
And when you find them hang onto them through thick and thin!

Ordered an accessory from Swag that will help with a crisp 90 degree bend and will try it out Saturday on my next 99-R46 box....named after the guys who gave me the idea.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #393
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

AD, I love reading the stories you add into this thread almost as much as I love seeing this Burb come along!
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #394
ratty 46

I feel honored that you'd include me in the box name ... I find my imagination typically is larger than my available funds, therefore, I typically make more than I buy.

It doesn't look like you need much help though.

I've built cars, trucks & bikes and I love them all. I wish I had more equipment though ...

Keep us posted.

R46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #395
Clarance J

Hello Advanced Design. I like that press brake that you made. You stated that the radius was too big. I think that you could solve that problem with a smaller bottom die. It would take some more fabricating but it just might work. Just some ideas. Who knows where this will lead too. Hope you don't mind.

Earl
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #396
oldman3

Doug, look forward to the box design...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:22 AM   #397
99 to Life

great story I tell yah, I wish I had some stories like that. Only one I got is my friend was into the custom scene years ago bf I was. His life went one way and mine came into the car/truck scene. I now own his 3 cars he had (all projects of course). But he finally got his 54' belair 2door he's been after for a very long time, so he's kinda back in the game. I did the engine for him on it. Funny how things come full circle.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #398
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number98 View Post
AD, I love reading the stories you add into this thread almost as much as I love seeing this Burb come along!
Thanks 98...afraid I get chatty at times. More a BLOG and less a "how to" thread...cause I don't know all the "how to"!

Quote:
I feel honored that you'd include me in the box name ... I find my imagination typically is larger than my available funds, therefore, I typically make more than I buy.

It doesn't look like you need much help though.

I've built cars, trucks & bikes and I love them all. I wish I had more equipment though ...

Keep us posted.

R46
The 99-r46 box is a pretty good idea. Have to see if I can do it. Hear you on equipment. I love'em all too r46. Just want one of each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarance J View Post
Hello Advanced Design. I like that press brake that you made. You stated that the radius was too big. I think that you could solve that problem with a smaller bottom die. It would take some more fabricating but it just might work. Just some ideas. Who knows where this will lead too. Hope you don't mind.

Earl
Awesome idea Earl! Will see what I can do with that. I really like ideas and collaborating so thank you for sharing!

Quote:
Doug, look forward to the box design...Jim
Thanks Jim. Other ideas on how to make it look cool are appreciated.

Quote:
great story I tell yah, I wish I had some stories like that. Only one I got is my friend was into the custom scene years ago bf I was. His life went one way and mine came into the car/truck scene. I now own his 3 cars he had (all projects of course). But he finally got his 54' belair 2door he's been after for a very long time, so he's kinda back in the game. I did the engine for him on it. Funny how things come full circle.
Now that is a good story 99! Good he is back in the game. This farmer friend of mine since we were 5 had a 1970 Demon (50,000 miles rust free) he was building in the real early 80's. Had Wayne County speed shop do the 340 engine (were dominant in NHRA pro stock then) and it was wicked. I did the 727 tranny....extra clutches, reverse pattern valve body...

He almost finished the car, got married and put it in a barn. Fast forward 20 years his 17 year old son (one who built the 30 x 40 shop) drug it out of the barn, got me, his dad and uncle involved and finished the car off. It was like the early 1980's again. And really good to see the young friend on the streets in the Demon. Yep, it still sounds wicked.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #399
52Burb

Lookin' good!!!
52Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #400
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Burb View Post
Lookin' good!!!