The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2023, 11:11 AM   #4526
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

We had a field fire a few years ago, last drought we were in, and a bush hog blade sparking on a rock started it

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 03:26 PM   #4527
KW5413

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post

Decided to mow the lawn today in the middle of the afternoon. Temperature was about 107* with clear sky.

I took several breaks but still ended up getting way too hot. After it was all done and I was inside in the cool the nausea hit me...I felt like puking for a good half hour and didn't really feel normal for another couple hours.

This has happened to me once before when I was in my 30s at a golf range in the heat. Not a pleasant experience in either case.

Be careful out there.

-klb
Late response but, just getting around to catching up.

I live, somewhere near you, in Rowlett. That 107 doesn't reflect the heat index that I believe was around 115 that day. It was close to the same at the lake house that day and just couldn't be smart enough to NOT power wash the house siding.

I am damned near 70 years old with covid lungs, to boot and that heavy air impacted me more than I thought...until I was gasping for air. The Queen was more than pissed at me. I was lucky that I didn't get sick...or worse.

I wound up with half of it done. The next day my youngest daughter and her husband came up and finished the job. Wouldn't even let me pour soap into the pressure washer. LOL!

Overheating and heat stroke can be killers. Drink lots of water and stay safe out there. We are not as bullet proof as we think we are ...at any age,.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 07:15 PM   #4528
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW5413 View Post
Late response but, just getting around to catching up.

I live, somewhere near you, in Rowlett. That 107 doesn't reflect the heat index that I believe was around 115 that day. It was close to the same at the lake house that day and just couldn't be smart enough to NOT power wash the house siding.

I am damned near 70 years old with covid lungs, to boot and that heavy air impacted me more than I thought...until I was gasping for air. The Queen was more than pissed at me. I was lucky that I didn't get sick...or worse.

I wound up with half of it done. The next day my youngest daughter and her husband came up and finished the job. Wouldn't even let me pour soap into the pressure washer. LOL

Overheating and heat stroke can be killers. Drink lots of water and stay safe out there. We are not as bullet proof as we think we are ...at any age,.
we're doing a school roof right now in low to mid '90's, but in all probabilty it's over a hundred on the roof.
that's pretty normal for us, but this school has galvanized wall cladding all over it- like being under a magnifying glass all day. not to mention blinding on the eyes, can't go up there without some kind of sunglasses.

to cool off last night i pressure washed my fence....my ocd was kickin' in on the way the fence looked after the fire
Name:  IMG_1859.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  50.6 KB

dang, now the side fence don't match....
Name:  IMG_1932.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  74.3 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 05:13 AM   #4529
4u2nv

You know what I didn't do on my truck today ????_______I didn't go out and look at it today because it's not there , I sold it .
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 08:23 AM   #4530
special-K
Special Order

I sell carpenter bee traps I make on Marketplace. Mad rush through May, then slowed to nothing during this lull period in their activity. They have picked up a bit here last week. I get a message from a woman who had enquired previously who wanted 4. My listing states cash and pick up here.

I tell her I can meet here before 10am or after 7pm. She mentioned where she lives, it's an hour or more up in PA. I had a need to go look at some work better (for her) than halfway. The homeowner where the job is was gone till late afternoon, or would be home all day the next. So next day was my preference.

The bee trap lady said she could meet at 3:30 at a corner store I suggested, so I decided to do it, then meet the homeowner with work. This required changing the day's other plans. I talked to another homeowner in my town (opposite direction) about meeting them to fill the time gap. Ok, so a day of looking at future work and sell a few bee traps for cash in my pocket.

I had an hour drive to meet this woman. Our communication was all messenger, so once I'm driving there's no communication. Traffic was slow. The entire route was straight up MD27 for an hour, but this was a bit slower. I saw I would be a bit past 3:30 getting there. I hate to be late meeting someone. I pull in at 3:37, look at my phone and see "I'm here" when I park. Then, "Oh well, I have to work at 5". I send "I'm here" and nothing. I know I was late, but ho-ly, can't wait seven minutes after driving a good way to get what you need? Better to wait than all for not! I know how to deal on Craigslist and Marketplace but I sure slipped up here. I plan my day around taking 45 minutes off her one way drive for $32, not even an hour's wage. At least I did look at potential income, so didn't waste the whole day.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-07-2023, 08:23 AM   #4531
special-K
Special Order

I sell carpenter bee traps I make on Marketplace. Mad rush through May, then slowed to nothing during this lull period in their activity. They have picked up a bit here last week. I get a message from a woman who had enquired previously who wanted 4. My listing states cash and pick up here.

I tell her I can meet here before 10am or after 7pm. She mentioned where she lives, it's an hour or more up in PA. I had a need to go look at some work better (for her) than halfway. The homeowner where the job is was gone till late afternoon, or would be home all day the next. So next day was my preference.

The bee trap lady said she could meet at 3:30 at a corner store I suggested, so I decided to do it, then meet the homeowner with work. This required changing the day's other plans. I talked to another homeowner in my town (opposite direction) about meeting them to fill the time gap. Ok, so a day of looking at future work and sell a few bee traps for cash in my pocket.

I had an hour drive to meet this woman. Our communication was all messenger, so once I'm driving there's no communication. Traffic was slow. The entire route was straight up MD27 for an hour, but this was a bit slower. I saw I would be a bit past 3:30 getting there. I hate to be late meeting someone. I pull in at 3:37, look at my phone and see "I'm here" when I park. Then, "Oh well, I have to work at 5". I send "I'm here" and nothing. I know I was late, but ho-ly, can't wait seven minutes after driving a good way to get what you need? Better to wait than all for not! I know how to deal on Craigslist and Marketplace but I sure slipped up here. I plan my day around taking 45 minutes off her one way drive for $32, not even an hour's wage. At least I did look at potential income, so didn't waste the whole day.

Tim

Old 07-07-2023, 11:30 AM   #4532
72c20customcamper

Bought a smoke machine for evap diagnostics my Toyota kept throwing a code and as long as there is a code it won’t pass inspection. Works great found the problem in 2 seconds I used argon for pressure don’t like pumping air into the fuel system
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:48 AM   #4533
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

My '05 Corolla had the same problem. The NAPA guys used the scan tool and got that evap code. Only real moving part in the system is the gas cap. Didn't do a smoke test, but replacing that cap took care of the problem.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #4534
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
My '05 Corolla had the same problem. The NAPA guys used the scan tool and got that evap code. Only real moving part in the system is the gas cap. Didn't do a smoke test, but replacing that cap took care of the problem.
There are 10-15 rubber hose connections in the system . It’s not building pressure with the cap to leak at any of the hoses so I’ll buy a new cap and do the test again .
I have the scan tool but it really only tells me there is a leak in the system somewhere
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:09 PM   #4535
72c20customcamper

NY has a rolling 25 year emissions inspection this year it’s 1998 and older get the safety only inspection. Next year my 99 Ranger will be emission’s exempt.
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 07-07-2023, 01:50 PM   #4536
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
NY has a rolling 25 year emissions inspection this year it’s 1998 and older get the safety only inspection. Next year my 99 Ranger will be emission’s exempt.
I wish that they had that here. Exemption is 1975 or older in CA. and it's a PITA.

I worked with a guy and he inherited a 1976 C/10 from his dad. I forget which model it was but it was a nice one. He told me that he'd sell it for $1600 and like a idiot I passed on it because I didn't want to deal with the smog Nazi's or listen to my ex wife complain about it. If it was a 75 then I would have bought it and put up with he mouth.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:55 PM   #4537
mr.mud1

you know i should be old and wise enough to NOT get myself into these mess's.evindently old enough but not wise enough(grade 3 was the hardest 4 years of my life) my uncle,old & pensioned off,has a little Hyundai that i keep running for him.he was just in hospital for a month or more after a heart attack and some other problems,he shows up at my place wanting some work done on brakes but says he can't steer the car?also the GPS light is on???i said there's no GPS light,what are you talking about,go look he says,so i do.the EPS light is on.electronic power steering???he says the car doesn't have power steering but obviously it does.i feel like getting involved in this mess about as much as need another hole in my head.leave the car here,i told him then went to work to learn what i could about this crap.turns out a common problem on these cars,a rubber coupler between the electric motor and the column are bad for failing.a $3.00 part,hours and hours and remove the column to put it on the bench cause it's about impossible to work leaning in the door,on your knees,with the seat back and working uphill under the dash.nuts.anyway i do all that,get the column out after disconnected a dozen electrical connectors and stuff,move the computer???on the column to get the motor off,there's angle sensors,speed sensors and on and on.i knew there was a reason i like old stuff?anyway get it all apart,the coupler is mint.no idea what's wrong.tryed to price a motor cause i think that's the problem but nobody has one,not even Rock Auto and i'm not going to start guessing what's wrong,so a few hours to put it back together and back in the car,he'll have to go get it scanned,maybe there's a fault code in there somewhere to let him know what the problem is.another lesson learned.i'll be so danged smart in another 50 years or so,i won't know how to act.
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 06:55 AM   #4538
Boog
laying low

Well now you know what that tin can looks like on the inside.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 07:49 AM   #4539
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Well now you know what that tin can looks like on the inside.
yes sir.i know what the inside of a tin can looks like and i don't like it..
Old 07-08-2023, 08:07 AM   #4540
Boog
laying low

I hate to think about having a front impact crash in that car and having all that rigamarow folding in on my legs.

Old 07-08-2023, 08:16 AM   #4541
best view

This is a reason why are simple trucks are getting expensive
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 08:22 AM   #4542
special-K
Special Order

When it comes to this new stuff, the day has come I am no longer a mechanic. I worried that day would come when I started messing with mechanics. I took to the older simpler ones. Watched as they added non-mechanical aggravation more and more, with zero regard for serviceability. Now here we are, can't even make sure a part they designed to be inaccessible is good enough quality to last. Then again, it is only a part involved in steering the car since they decided to go with drive by wire, which never seemed like a good idea to me... EVER!

Tim

Old 07-08-2023, 02:05 PM   #4543
mr.mud1

Quote:
I hate to think about having a front impact crash in that car and having all that rigamarow folding in on my legs.
yes sir.it's a mess.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:19 PM   #4544
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
When it comes to this new stuff, the day has come I am no longer a mechanic. I worried that day would come when I started messing with mechanics. I took to the older simpler ones. Watched as they added non-mechanical aggravation more and more, with zero regard for serviceability. Now here we are, can't even make sure a part they designed to be inaccessible is good enough quality to last. Then again, it is only a part involved in steering the car since they decided to go with drive by wire, which never seemed like a good idea to me... EVER!
i hear ya.it's sad when you have to plug the car into the computer to find out what's wrong.back a million years ago,we'd figure out the problem?long gone now.you can tell by the way they build them,there's no regard for fixing them i'm sure.a couple years ago,we were in New England in our Mustang convertible,the rear windows stopped working.i went into my local Ford dealer when we got home,first thing they did was plug it in to scan it for fault codes?the computers run the power windows i guess?nuts.the last new Harley i bought was fly by wire.i didn't like it for lots of reasons so i sold to a guy who loved it,his first bike so he didn't know what he didn't know.i went to Texas,found a 7 year old Electra-glide with 5000 miles on it.after a couple years riding it,i had a Halifax firefighter bugging me to sell it to him,so i did but then went to North Carolina and found another old Electra-glide with 3000 miles on,like new.then we had our friends Bob and Diane from Ohio,that's my buddy fighting cancer,they came here on their new Electra-glide,we took off for the Cabot Trail,a beautiful ride,sure enough the fly-by-wire throttle on Bob's new bike failed.it would only idle.we got to our hotel,Bob called CAA and they came with a deck truck,took them to Ramsey's H-D in Sydney,Nova Scotia where lucky for Bob,they had the parts,new take offs from a customers bike who made a bunch of changes.it all worked out but fixing what we used to fix in our shop or even on the side of the road,may be gone forever?
Old 07-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #4545
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I ran a 5k foot race this morning in Overbrook Ks. My fifth race of the year. I took 4th place. Two 20 something brothers and a 30 year old fella from Topeka beat me out of a podium spot. I ran a 22:47. I’m hoping to get my time down to 21:xx by fall for the 5k. I took off with them, quickly realizing I couldn’t keep their pace. So I down shifted into old hobby jogger gear. Also know as granny gear.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:45 PM   #4546
Boog
laying low

Hey, there's no shame in taking the lighter pace. You can tell anybody who says anything, you've already been there.

Old 07-08-2023, 02:57 PM   #4547
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Hey, there's no shame in taking the lighter pace. You can tell anybody who says anything, you've already been there.
Yep, I can run with the young guns… for about a 200 yards.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2023, 04:42 PM   #4548
LS short box

Kind of a fun day today.
First a local car show in the MN town of Osakis MN. About 125 cars by 10 AM. Then lunch at the body shop I help at a couple days a week. Then after lunch a walk around at local resort the has an antique boat show every year. Maybe 40 totally restored wooden boats.
The work to restore these boats are incredible.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 08:59 PM   #4549
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
you know i should be old and wise enough to NOT get myself into these mess's.evindently old enough but not wise enough(grade 3 was the hardest 4 years of my life) my uncle,old & pensioned off,has a little Hyundai that i keep running for him.he was just in hospital for a month or more after a heart attack and some other problems,he shows up at my place wanting some work done on brakes but says he can't steer the car?also the GPS light is on???i said there's no GPS light,what are you talking about,go look he says,so i do.the EPS light is on.electronic power steering???he says the car doesn't have power steering but obviously it does.i feel like getting involved in this mess about as much as need another hole in my head.leave the car here,i told him then went to work to learn what i could about this crap.turns out a common problem on these cars,a rubber coupler between the electric motor and the column are bad for failing.a $3.00 part,hours and hours and remove the column to put it on the bench cause it's about impossible to work leaning in the door,on your knees,with the seat back and working uphill under the dash.nuts.anyway i do all that,get the column out after disconnected a dozen electrical connectors and stuff,move the computer???on the column to get the motor off,there's angle sensors,speed sensors and on and on.i knew there was a reason i like old stuff?anyway get it all apart,the coupler is mint.no idea what's wrong.tryed to price a motor cause i think that's the problem but nobody has one,not even Rock Auto and i'm not going to start guessing what's wrong,so a few hours to put it back together and back in the car,he'll have to go get it scanned,maybe there's a fault code in there somewhere to let him know what the problem is.another lesson learned.i'll be so danged smart in another 50 years or so,i won't know how to act.
I spent 17/18 years at Ni ss an plant in TN starting at 24 years of age'

I thought I Knew about cars and trucks.
Because I had been working on them at age 10/14.

I was a tech working on the line.

I am no Where close to the level Keith Seymore is on Factory stuff with chevy trucks and the Knowledge he provides about these trucks.

With this being Typed.

The Dash assembly was assembly on a sub-assembly line.
Then they stab it in all assembled as a complete assembly.
With a Robotic type Arm.
The technicians Right and left side, will shoot a couple of bolts to holp it up till the next station.
Then the other stuff gets connected.

The Engine and transmission is stabbed in from the bottom going down the assembly line.

They dont care if you cant change the parts out after the fact
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:56 AM   #4550
Boog
laying low

It has long been my observation the auto makers start with a 2 bit fuse and build an entire vehicle around it as tightly as possible.