The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2023, 07:22 AM   #4551
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

The rant, or one of the rants, I come up with while spending 2 hours to get to a part that takes ten minutes to change or when the fastener that needs removed is out of sight and you can barely get your hand in to touch is:
Then... Back in the day engineers were given a list of objectives and they'd come up with a design. They get all done, then one says, "How will a mechanic be able to access that for service?". They others all tap their head and say, "Damn, back to the drawing board".

Now... The same thing happens, and they all laugh and say "Screw 'em"

Actually, that was at first. By now no one even asks about the mechanic so no laugh, just design in this sad state of affairs we have to deal with.

New vehicles are great (mostly/usually) when new and it ends there. Lower income people have always taken vehicles those with more money are done with. How can someone on lower wages afford to pay crazy high service costs for dumb little things? How can they do the work themselves without scanners and all other special tools needed these days? No consideration for any of these things.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:14 PM   #4552
mr.mud1

it finally stopped raining,i could hear the grass growing over the noise of the rain drops,a beautiful day to spend some quality time on my little Cub Cadet.
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:22 PM   #4553
Warrens69GMC

brought home this box, I was hoping it wasn't assembled so i could get it where it needed to go, but they had assembled it. Was a bear to unload by myself and get it to where it needed to go.
Attached Images

Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:29 PM   #4554
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
brought home this box, I was hoping it wasn't assembled so i could get it where it needed to go, but they had assembled it. Was a bear to unload by myself and get it to where it needed to go.
That is a Big box.

It has become second nature to me when I am moving a toolbox,

To take the drawers out.
Just the drawers drop quite a bit of weight.

Most of the time when I move a box it is full of Stuff.

Wow That thing has 6 Wheels
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:31 PM   #4555
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Nice! That thing's a monster. I bought something similar and removed some drawers before loading it up, and I had help. It had no tools in it. I'm also working on a display case for my eldest son to display his challenge coins. 10 years so far in the USAF, he's a TSGT (E-6). Beat me by one rank so far (I was Navy, though).

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:41 PM   #4556
Warrens69GMC

I wanted a nice big box, even if I don't fill it up, I don't think I will regret getting one this size. I also am waiting on 2 of these
Attached Images

Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:17 AM   #4557
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
it finally stopped raining,i could hear the grass growing over the noise of the rain drops,a beautiful day to spend some quality time on my little Cub Cadet.
such a nice spot you have. I didn't realize that was a creek next to you, running into the sea.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-11-2023, 02:37 PM   #4558
tutone

Today I changed the intake air heater on my 2016 GMC duramax one ton.
55xxx miles, bought it new, never seen snow or ice, and not a lot of rain. Threw a code when I cranked it up to go get the oil changed and they read it at the dealership. So, I ordered the heater and gaskets, changed it, and still the same. I guess I changed the most likely suspect and guessed wrong.
So today i wasted a couple hundred bucks because these new vehicles are too dang smart for me. I guess I will keep the appt I had at the dealership to look at it.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:39 PM   #4559
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
Your yard makes me want to play golf.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:45 PM   #4560
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
such a nice spot you have. I didn't realize that was a creek next to you, running into the sea.
yes sir,it's a nice spot.we love it,especially now that we know our old place,my old shop burned to the ground along with 200 other homes in those wildfires that roared through our old neighbourhood near Halifax 6 weeks ago.if we hadn't moved to this place 3 years ago and built a new shop here,we'd be in a world of hurt right now.
this property,about 8 acres has a brook at the base of our front lawn that actually comes under the road at the sharp bend,from across the road from down in behind my Grandparents property.they had about 6 acres across the road.our property has Coal Mine Brook the runs down behind my shop here and the 2 brooks meet and head to the beach.both properties,ours and my Grandparents are sort of shaped like a piece of pie with the pointy end down at the beach with the road between them.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2023, 10:54 PM   #4561
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Your yard makes me want to play golf.
well bring your clubs and come ahead.we have lots or room.you or any of the guys are welcome anytime.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:07 PM   #4562
mr.mud1

i had nothing much to do on my truck,the sky was threatening rain so i didn't want to go mow or spend time with the tractor and the bush hog,so because i'm not all there,i guess i decided since the paint on my Mustang felt like sandpaper??it would be a good day to use the clay bar and put a coat of wax on it.humidity of about 95 million percent,it didn't take much rubbing,i had sweat running out of places i didn't know could sweat?i rubbed a bunch of red crap off it anyway?no idea what it was but it was smooth when i finished and looked good once waxed.i changed the oil and filter as it was due and while up on the lift,notiiced my new Yokohama tires i waited 4 months for,installed on the front with a new wheel alignment in May,wearing on the inside rib,just as the Pirelli tires that were on it,worn off the inside right down to the steel cords?another appointment Friday with the shop that just lined it up?i love this car but it eats tires?Ford already changed all 4 Pirelli's it came with under warranty and they lasted no time?got to come up with something better than this?
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2023, 05:29 AM   #4563
special-K
Special Order

About your property, for me it gets no better than to have natural features present on or near your own property. You have God's landscaping (then there's the part some mortal named Greg keeps up

Mustang front tires, that sucks. I went through rear tires every 8,000 miles with my '92 K3500. Went round and round under warranty, where they did nothing. One symptom was wet brake shoes, so locked up when wet. Dealer: "We can't get the brakes to lock up. come and get it". Me: "Got a hose? Call me when it's fixed". So a new axle seal and brake shoes, two weeks later locking brakes in wet.

I didn't notice the tire problem until the second set of bigger tires. This went on and on and I just kept buying rear tires. Went to a tire shop for a 4 wheel thrust alignment check. "There's no adjustment on the rear". "Do it anyway, I want a reading". About 3/8" off each side toed-in. Finally I bought a junk yard rear. Removing the old rear is when I notice the driver side leaf was tilted and shackle bent some. Get it all loose and the axle tube could be moved around. It was never welded to the carrier and the leaf spring held it in place.

Tim

Old 07-12-2023, 08:19 AM   #4564
special-K
Special Order

I'll tell you what I did yesterday. I am restored four 4 panel doors at this 1800s farmhouse. There is a little garage away from the house and due to thunderstorms everyday I set my EZ-up just outside a door so I am shaded and can duck in with the door when the rain comes. There is a loft with a bunch of stuff in the garage. I swear it wasn't there until the lady came to talk to me, because I would have noticed! I almost walked into the tail end of a big black snake. Made no sense. What was it doing, backing down? It didn't move, it was dead. There is a chimney cap that has expanded steel grille work that had a sloppy rolled up plastic mess, I guess critter fencing for the garden. I climbed up and saw it's head was coming out of that mess. It got caught and died. I take it down and you know what? It was the fourth victim!! There were the remains of three other black snakes caught in that mess... 4!! Not a thing I expected to be dealing with restoring doors. My camera is on the blink, but I have a picture of the garage
Attached Images

Tim

Old 07-12-2023, 10:11 AM   #4565
Boog
laying low

Yikes. That'll get your heart a racing.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:05 PM   #4566
mr.mud1

racing??might make the old thing stop??
Old 07-12-2023, 07:17 PM   #4567
mr.mud1

just cause i'm a sucker for punishment,i had an old girl call,a resident in an old folks home where i have a couple Uncle's and an Aunt living.they recommended me to put brake pads on this old girl's 2015 (i think) Honda Civic.i usually feel sorry for the old people,not alot of money and on and on,cry me a river,anyway i said i'd have a look.i said you need more than a set of brake pads?rotors,pads all shot,worst i've seen in a long time.4 bald tires,a Nova Scotia Safety Inspection sticker on the windshield expired a year ago.shouldn't be on the road at all?amazing how we treat these old trucks with lots of TLC and there's people with this junk on the road out among the rest of us that care about our stuff.unbelievable.brakes all fixed,waiting for tires(she wanted 3,i said you need 4 or leave it parked?)
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2023, 07:23 PM   #4568
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
About your property, for me it gets no better than to have natural features present on or near your own property. You have God's landscaping (then there's the part some mortal named Greg keeps up

Mustang front tires, that sucks. I went through rear tires every 8,000 miles with my '92 K3500. Went round and round under warranty, where they did nothing. One symptom was wet brake shoes, so locked up when wet. Dealer: "We can't get the brakes to lock up. come and get it". Me: "Got a hose? Call me when it's fixed". So a new axle seal and brake shoes, two weeks later locking brakes in wet.

I didn't notice the tire problem until the second set of bigger tires. This went on and on and I just kept buying rear tires. Went to a tire shop for a 4 wheel thrust alignment check. "There's no adjustment on the rear". "Do it anyway, I want a reading". About 3/8" off each side toed-in. Finally I bought a junk yard rear. Removing the old rear is when I notice the driver side leaf was tilted and shackle bent some. Get it all loose and the axle tube could be moved around. It was never welded to the carrier and the leaf spring held it in place.
thanks Tim.we are so fortunate to be here,we love the place.we lived on a 100 x 100 lot near Halifax and it's gone in the fires.i always wanted a big lawn to mow.careful what you wish for,i got it.by the time i get this done,it's time to start again.no complaints,we love it here.interesting about your truck and you tire problems,hopefully they'll have something to offer on Friday.i have to go to Ford as well about a recall.depending what the alignment shop finds or has to offer,i may check at Ford.it's passed warranty so i doubt they have any magic to offer but you never know?take care.Greg
Old 07-12-2023, 07:24 PM   #4569
Boog
laying low

There are SO many clueless drivers out there. You did the right thing.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 08:57 PM   #4570
LS short box

I blocked sanded the cab of a Ford F150. Such fun.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:36 PM   #4571
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I blocked sanded the cab of a Ford F150. Such fun.
As I remember you’re doing exchange work for work on your truck right .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 11:13 PM   #4572
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The roofer came back and discussed our roof replacement. Materials are at scandalous prices these days, still. I'm not going to discuss the price estimate here.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-13-2023, 12:42 PM   #4573
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
The roofer came back and discussed our roof replacement. Materials are at scandalous prices these days, still. I'm not going to discuss the price estimate here.
Going to have a new asphalt roof put on this year too..I am not healthy enough any more to be on a roof..and I have done a few,,, estimate is around 14K '''''''''''''OUCH!!
Old 07-13-2023, 01:10 PM   #4574
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Drained my pool. It didn't look that bad when it had water in it. Pretty good actually. Now it looks like a dirty toilet bowl.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 01:51 PM   #4575
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Going to have a new asphalt roof put on this year too..I am not healthy enough any more to be on a roof..and I have done a few,,, estimate is around 14K '''''''''''''OUCH!!
I have a 2105 Sq Ft house. Should have had it done 3 years ago, before material prices got stupid high.

Simi Valley, CA