The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
RustyBucket

Re: Sound deadening question.

I kept reading responses to this thread thinking "I can't hear all that much road/vehicle noise with the top off, mainly just wind noise." My Blazer has carpet, side panels and a tailgate mat. The tailgate seals up good. Don't know what the PO used for insulation under the carpet, I see some white closed cell styrofoam sticking out from under the carpet up under the dash. Just dawned on me that it's probably the GAYLORD's bed cover that hushes up the road noise. DUH!!
I saw over in the '67-'72 PickUp forum a post about the soft covered aluminum framed bed covers.. looked pretty neat, reasonably priced and apparently the length can be trimmed. They're hinged at the front.
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
DustinU

Great looking Blazer RustyBucket!
DustinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
OneOffStroker

Holy crap, that Blazer is sick. I think I need to sell my Burb and get one of those. My wife is gonna be pissed...
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #29
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinU View Post
Yes it is a lot of stuff, I used two rolls (about 14 lbs each) of Fat mat. 3 rolls total of jute (4 lbs each), so about 40 pounds. I read some where on here if you want your truck to ride smooth throw 600 pounds in the back or it will ride like a truck... between the Caddy like sound/heat dampening and the cage I am well on my way

My truck weigh's 4700 lbs +/- 10 lbs with all this installed (seats, hard top and cage included). I just had it weighed.
You are talking about a blazer right?

Wow you are still lighter than I am. I scaled my 72 blazer at 4760lbs. with a full tank of gas.

That's with an LQ4 (cast iron block/aluminum heads) with a 4L60E, spare tire and all....no sound deadening

I need to find some weight to remove before I even think about adding more with sound deadening,,,do they make fiberglass fenders and hood for these things???
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #30
DustinU

Wink Re: Sound deadening question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
You are talking about a blazer right?

Wow you are still lighter than I am. I scaled my 72 blazer at 4760lbs. with a full tank of gas.

That's with an LQ4 (cast iron block/aluminum heads) with a 4L60E, spare tire and all....no sound deadening

I need to find some weight to remove before I even think about adding more with sound deadening,,,do they make fiberglass fenders and hood for these things???
Yeah that is my 1969 Blazer crate 350/350 NP205. My kids and car seats were in it, I just swapped their weight for the carpet and sound deadening (only change), no spare in it or tools but... when I get in it is much closer to 5K (I verified their scales with my weight addition... was on the money).
No side panels or speakers yet and gas was 1/2 tank, so I figure at most another 100-125 lbs.

Sorry back on topic...

I will update the sound difference in a few days when I get it road worthy again.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #31
RustyBucket

Thanks DustinU and OneOffStroker... it's my favorite toy.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #32
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

I have bare floors front and rear. I love my noisy truck!!!
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #33
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardjimmy71 View Post
I have bare floors front and rear. I love my noisy truck!!!
I only have what is factory in mine. The black tar pads up front with some white styrofoam under that, then the jute backing under the carpet up front.

Out back is the factory black rubber mat that smooths out the rear floor and then carpet over that. It's a CST so it has the rear side panels as well.

Honestly it's really not that bad inside. My only rattle is the linkage inside the tailgate, and I think the foam blocks that stop that from happening have dried up and have fallen off or shrunk...

With the roof on, the AC blasting, and the radio playing, I don't even hear the tailgate linkage rattle It's actually pretty confortable to drive.

I am only looking for a little extra. Maybe some dynomat inside the doors and few small places should suit me just fine.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #34
1972CST

How would a complete Linexed interior sound in comparrison to a complete Dynamat interior? I know Linex is not designed for reducing noise but it is very thick and heavy. Anyone have any experience with a thick bedliner interior? Could be around the same price...
1972CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #35
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972CST View Post
How would a complete Linexed interior sound in comparrison to a complete Dynamat interior? I know Linex is not designed for reducing noise but it is very thick and heavy. Anyone have any experience with a thick bedliner interior? Could be around the same price...
I would think it would help a little and defiantly take out any rattles or "tinny" sound, tightening/sealing everything up.

On a side note I have had a chance to drive mine, no side panels yet but I am VERY happy with the lack of sound that I hear. No hot floors, engine noise, etc.
Although not a true comparison because the top is now off, but I can talk with passengers without yelling etc. I like it.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #36
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972CST View Post
When I restored my wifes 82 Scrambler I did a full soft top and installed a back seat for the kids. I only did carpet up front, the entire back half I did in a thick bedliner and left it like that. It actually drove pretty quiet (considering it had a soft top). I really liked the durability it offered, and the sound deadening affect was just an added benefit. May have been even better if I put carpet over it. I have some pics of it around here somewhere, but I'm sure you get the idea.