The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #26
CC69Rat

Re: Early Classic 4/6 drop .. who has it? What's your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ View Post
... I'm going 4/6 is I want to make sure it's low enough.... who knows I might go even lower someday.

Are you running a c notch?
Posted via Mobile Device
^^ I'd go ahead and notch it if you're thinking lower in the future.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #27
big_al_71

What's the ride quality like?
Quality was excellent
If you do have the Early Classic kit.. Is it complete?
I had the complete kit
Did you have to buy anything else to make it work?
NO!!
Does you truck slam on the rear axle on mild bumps? I've heard/read from some you need a c-notch and some say you don't.
You do not need a cnotch I drove my truck for three years with this kit and if I remember right it may have bottomed out once driving on a back road going really fast..
Can you still haul stuff in your truck without problems?
You can but if you go really heavy it will bottom out
Are they're any problems making the kit work or is it pretty much install and go?
It is pretty much a plug and play..

I bagged my truck about a year and half ago but the prevuious three years it was a 4/6 ece kit. no complaints at all..
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post

I bagged my truck about a year and half ago but the prevuious three years it was a 4/6 ece kit. no complaints at all..

Thanks for the input Big Al.. I have admired your truck for some time now. Beautiful!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
^^ I'd go ahead and notch it if you're thinking lower in the future.
I'm thinking I will, I know I don't want to have a truck I can never haul anything with.. that's kind of pointless no matter how pretty it is. IMO.

Plus like you say, it'll open up the possibilities of going lower later.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #30
sduckworth13

Jimmy, I'm not trying to be a salesman for Porterbuilt, but the C- Notch they make is a two piece unit and look easy to install and they are heavy duty. That is the one I'm going with this time around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #31
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Jimmy, I'm not trying to be a salesman for Porterbuilt, but the C- Notch they make is a two piece unit and look easy to install and they are heavy duty. That is the one I'm going with this time around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I want a heavy duty one so I can still tow someday.... I know I'll want to cruise this bad boy with a boat or camper in tow. I'll check them out. Thanks!

Wow, those are nice... You can feel the quality jumping off the page. haha
http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.com/?p=385

I wonder if they offer a discount for forum members?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #32
sduckworth13

I had a 4.5 / 6 drop on my 67 gmc and just from my experience I was always scraping pavement with my lower control arms even when I thought I was going to clear. So this time around I'm going to go with tubular lower arms to give me just a bit more clearence. I don't know if a half inch or a full inch extra clearence justifies spending 600.00 but that's the plan I'm going with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #33
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ View Post
Great looking ride. Man it sets nice. Are you running a c notch?
Thanks. No notch. I've got nothing against them. But the guys at ECE said that if I was bottoming out, I could cut the rubber bumper down ....haven't needed to do that. Didn't on the last truck, either.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #34
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
I had a 4.5 / 6 drop on my 67 gmc and just from my experience I was always scraping pavement with my lower control arms even when I thought I was going to clear. So this time around I'm going to go with tubular lower arms to give me just a bit more clearence. I don't know if a half inch or a full inch extra clearence justifies spending 600.00 but that's the plan I'm going with.
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess I'll do this drop for now and if I need anything else later, I'll do it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Thanks. No notch. I've got nothing against them. But the guys at ECE said that if I was bottoming out, I could cut the rubber bumper down ....haven't needed to do that. Didn't on the last truck, either.
Thanks for the info. Thinking I'll just do the drop and only do the notch if for some reason I end up needing it. I've got many other things that are in need of my money for this truck!

I just ordered the 4/6 from Early Classic, Mark gave me a great deal on the shipping so props to him. Can't wait to get this.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #35
Rusbuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
The first picture is mine without a notch. The is no original bumpstop in there, but you can see where if there were you wouldnt get much travel before hitting it. I never drove it like this so I am only speculating.

The second pic is mine after the notch was put in. EDIT: Notch was from CPP about $100 Very well made also
I'm pretty sure in the second pic your upper shock brackets are on backwards.
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #36
jmking9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
I'm pretty sure in the second pic your upper shock brackets are on backwards.
I wondered how long it would take to get called out on that. I noticed it after the pic was taken and flipped them around. Good eye!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #37
Hawssie

I second the Danner boots!
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #38
Chief29

I'm also looking into this kit like Whitey. I have a question to add aswell that I have been wondering aswell

1. Headers would they drag cause they are below the frame also my mufflers (40 series flowmaster) are below the rear cross member with turn downs.

Also my tire size is 235/70-15 on front and 275/60-15 on rear with truck/van rally wheels with 4 1/4bs. Will I have to cleareance the spindle so the wheels don't rub?

I know I didn't start this tread but all my questions got answered in this tread except for the exhaust. Don't want to invade your tread Whitey but this is the one question that I had.

Thanks Erik
Posted via Mobile Device
Chief29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #39
Rusbuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
I wondered how long it would take to get called out on that. I noticed it after the pic was taken and flipped them around. Good eye!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #40
RHGuyettejr

First of all, thanks for starting this thread because it has answered a lot of questions I have had about these kits, I do still have a few left though that maybe somebody can answer. I have a 69 GMC, I want to leave the drums in front for the time being, and it is a leaf spring rear. Although ECE doesn't have a specific kit for this they do offer the drop springs front, and 4" drop leafs for the rear, and an optional 2" shackle to get the 6" drop. I was just wondering if anybody had experience with these parts. I am sure they would let me know exactly what I would need if I give them a call. Also the truck is a c20, so am I right in assuming the parts will interchange from a 10 series?
RHGuyettejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #41
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief29 View Post
I'm also looking into this kit like Whitey. I have a question to add aswell that I have been wondering aswell

1. Headers would they drag cause they are below the frame also my mufflers (40 series flowmaster) are below the rear cross member with turn downs.

Also my tire size is 235/70-15 on front and 275/60-15 on rear with truck/van rally wheels with 4 1/4bs. Will I have to cleareance the spindle so the wheels don't rub?

I know I didn't start this tread but all my questions got answered in this tread except for the exhaust. Don't want to invade your tread Whitey but this is the one question that I had.

Thanks Erik
Posted via Mobile Device
Just my limited knowledge on this question:

Your front tires are 27.95" tall. Most of the guys that run this kit run 20's with a 255/40/20 tire. This size tire is 28.03" tall. See where I'm going with it? Me, personally unless your headers are really down there.. I think you'll be ok but I could be wrong. Anyone with this kit and 255/40 have header issues?

Above you mentioned 'truck/van' rally wheels. They're kinda different. The truck rallys are 8" wide and as far as I know Van rallys are 6.5" wide. (I know there are some 7" truck rallys too but just from the 235/70 tires I'm assuming 8" up front)

The problem with rubbing is actually the backspace of the wheel. Anything over 4" of backspacing will hit the LCA. Maybe you could change to 6.5" or 7" wheels up front and offset some of the backspacing to clear?

The ECE kit is extremely popular and for obvious reasons. I just did mine a little different because I used to be into First Gen Camaros a lot and ran Hotchkis stuff. I wanted a 4.5/6" drop up front so I went with McGaughys spindles instead. Nothing wrong with either one just a matter of preference.

On the C-Notch topic I would also suggest Porterbuilt. Here's a pic of mine. There are 17 grade 8 bolts (per side) in Nate's notch kit. It is a, two piece kit and also top notch quality. It might be a little more $ but if you're doing any towing it might be something to consider.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #42
Chief29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Just my limited knowledge on this question:

Your front tires are 27.95" tall. Most of the guys that run this kit run 20's with a 255/40/20 tire. This size tire is 28.03" tall. See where I'm going with it? Me, personally unless your headers are really down there.. I think you'll be ok but I could be wrong. Anyone with this kit and 255/40 have header issues?

Above you mentioned 'truck/van' rally wheels. They're kinda different. The truck rallys are 8" wide and as far as I know Van rallys are 6.5" wide. (I know there are some 7" truck rallys too but just from the 235/70 tires I'm assuming 8" up front)

The problem with rubbing is actually the backspace of the wheel. Anything over 4" of backspacing will hit the LCA. Maybe you could change to 6.5" or 7" wheels up front and offset some of the backspacing to clear?

The ECE kit is extremely popular and for obvious reasons. I just did mine a little different because I used to be into First Gen Camaros a lot and ran Hotchkis stuff. I wanted a 4.5/6" drop up front so I went with McGaughys spindles instead. Nothing wrong with either one just a matter of preference.

On the C-Notch topic I would also suggest Porterbuilt. Here's a pic of mine. There are 17 grade 8 bolts (per side) in Nate's notch kit. It is a, two piece kit and also top notch quality. It might be a little more $ but if you're doing any towing it might be something to consider.

My rims are 15x8 truck rally's from 1984. Forgot to add that I have Porterbuilt rear trailing arm and track bar kit coming should be here in a few weeks.
Right now I'm going with a 2/4 spring drop but really like the 4/6 drop. But I am thinking of holding off the lowering until I get 18" or 20" rims. The reason I m going with 235 on front and 275 rear is I want the level look but a slightly wider tire in the back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #43
Chief29

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
Quality was excellent
If you do have the Early Classic kit.. Is it complete?
I had the complete kit
Did you have to buy anything else to make it work?
NO!!
Does you truck slam on the rear axle on mild bumps? I've heard/read from some you need a c-notch and some say you don't.
You do not need a cnotch I drove my truck for three years with this kit and if I remember right it may have bottomed out once driving on a back road going really fast..
Can you still haul stuff in your truck without problems?
You can but if you go really heavy it will bottom out
Are they're any problems making the kit work or is it pretty much install and go?
It is pretty much a plug and play..

Love this truck. This is the look I'm going for but mine is a long bed. I have big Al's build tread saved
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #44
~Whitey~

Quote:
Don't want to invade your tread...
Invade away! Questions you ask, help us all out.

Quote:
My rims are 15x8 truck rally's from 1984. Forgot to add that I have Porterbuilt rear trailing arm and track bar kit coming should be here in a few weeks.
Right now I'm going with a 2/4 spring drop but really like the 4/6 drop. But I am thinking of holding off the lowering until I get 18" or 20" rims. The reason I m going with 235 on front and 275 rear is I want the level look but a slightly wider tire in the back.
This is what I'm running...
front is 17x8, 4" bs and 255/60's
back is 17x9.5, 5.5" bs and 275/60's

I have no plans currently to ever change up my wheels to a larger diameter, but as we all know, sometimes plans change!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to stick some 1/2 or so spacers on the back, but that don't bother me.

I think CC69Rat, explained the tire and wheel thing pretty good.

I'll make sure and come back and post pics on this thread and any thoughts I have after I do the install on mine.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #45
eric8

My only gripe with their kit is that they recommended 5" rear springs versus 6" for my 72 c10 because my truck is a long bed. I went with their recommendation and am not too happy with the look of the 4/5 drop because in my opinion the truck doesn't sit level. Has too much rake to it for my tastes, so I'll probably have to order a set of 6" and just eat the cost. Other than that, it is a very complete and quality kit. My other suggestion would be to make the track bar double adjustable versus single adjustable. That way you could bolt up the bar and make adjustments by turning the track bar itself versus disconnecting the end to make an adjustment.
eric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #46
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8 View Post
My only gripe with their kit is that they recommended 5" rear springs versus 6" for my 72 c10 because my truck is a long bed. I went with their recommendation and am not too happy with the look of the 4/5 drop because in my opinion the truck doesn't sit level.
Call 'em. They are very easy to work with.

4.5/6 ECE
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #47
eric8

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Call 'em. They are very easy to work with.

4.5/6 ECE
That's how I'd like mine to sit. Nice and level. Looks great!
eric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #48
Chief29

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8 View Post
My only gripe with their kit is that they recommended 5" rear springs versus 6" for my 72 c10 because my truck is a long bed. I went with their recommendation and am not too happy with the look of the 4/5 drop because in my opinion the truck doesn't sit level. Has too much rake to it for my tastes, so I'll probably have to order a set of 6" and just eat the cost. Other than that, it is a very complete and quality kit. My other suggestion would be to make the track bar double adjustable versus single adjustable. That way you could bolt up the bar and make adjustments by turning the track bar itself versus disconnecting the end to make an adjustment.

I do agree with the panard bar (track bar) I have the porterbuilt track bar kit and trailing arms now trailing arms are on and are very nice. Haven't installed the track bar yet cause I'm going to lower it first. Saving for porterbuilt cross member, upper and lower rear shock mounts, ece spindles and springs, and possible tubular control arms for the front. But it's just money....lol.

Also my trailing arms have the 1" drop built into them and my truck sits level
Old 11-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #49
Reyals Bemus

ECE is the bomb. I've used many of their suspension parts in my C10. All were top notch quality. No regrets.
Reyals Bemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #50
tonys87

good thread.. this kit might be the first thing I change on my truck
tonys87 is offline   Reply With Quote