The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #26
Crx150zc

Re: New Member, New Project, 66 c10

Last thought before bed, if any one needs a builder motor or tranny parts, please let me know, they are untested but will trade for any thing metal you have laying around that weighs the same I am located in Colorado Springs, Co.
Crx150zc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #27
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Oh no, don't toss those fenders just yet. That passenger side doesn't look that bad. The drivers side may be good for a piece here and there. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=558060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crx150zc View Post
BTW yes that is snow and Jimmy1614 hurry up it was a pain in the ass to work those rusty old bolts out with no heat.

Fenders are beyond repair, Core support looks fixable. I really have my work cut out for me.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #28
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Oh no, don't toss those fenders just yet. That passenger side doesn't look that bad. The drivers side may be good for a piece here and there. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=558060

Especially when you consider how bad repops fit.

Quote:
BTW yes that is snow and Jimmy1614 hurry up it was a pain in the ass to work those rusty old bolts out with no heat.

Fenders are beyond repair, Core support looks fixable. I really have my work cut out for me.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #29
jimmy1614

Ill have that bolt out soon enough! Ill use those fenders! I think out of the 3 sets we have I can make a pair of good ones
jimmy1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
Crx150zc

Well Another day out in the cold, I got the motor out, dropped the tranny, got the seat out, "no build sheet under there". That seems so easy to type out but it fought me the whole way. I took a picture when the drivers side of the engine was spit the the passenger side was stuck, I was going to stop and put up a post to see if any one had any ideas but then I found the hidden bolt and it came right out. You all would have laughed if you had seen how I dropped the tranny out, I think it is very unprofessional to grab the stick shift and start jerking on it till it dropped down, then I used the engine lift to pick the front of the truck up about 3ft so I could drag it out from under there, I am sure there is a better way but I got it out.

I am going to try to find a pair of decent fenders at the swap meet in February but my body work skills have a lot to be desired, me and bondo just do not get along.

Another question, is there any value in the motor or transmission to make it worth trying to sell? Had a friend tell me the tranny has the removable plate for a pto.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #31
Crx150zc

Nothing got done on my truck again but I did help jimmy "I did most the work" to put his rear end back together so his truck can move over = my truck goes in garage = Heat = more work will be done.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #32
Crx150zc

Happy New Year, may 2013 be the year you all finish your trucks and finally post some pictures
Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #33
Crx150zc

Quick update not that any one looks any more, Got the truck in the garage, got the bumper, suspension and steering rack off and started to clean up the 47 years of build up off the frame. Next step is to finish cleaning up the front of the frame and por-15 it. then I can tear the front apart on the suburban.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #34
Bomp

Quote:
Quick update not that any one looks any more, Got the truck in the garage, got the bumper, suspension and steering rack off and started to clean up the 47 years of build up off the frame. Next step is to finish cleaning up the front of the frame and por-15 it. then I can tear the front apart on the suburban.
You'll like POR15.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #35
McMurphy

I know it can get a tad discouraging when your thread does not get any new, or much traffic...
But I guarentee people are looking and reading it; like me.
I read every new post on this board (they show up as dark blue when I open the page) I just dont comment unless I have something to say.

Though sometimes I think some of the guys would rather I didnt have anything to say, but that is another matter entirely!!

I was very interested to see if someone would chime in on the PTO plate you mentioned on the transmission...

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #36
Crx150zc

Well not much happened today, but we did figure out we are going to have to make our own rear transmission mounts, I just got home and I will do a little research to see what others have done, Not a big problem just our first real hurdle. I plan for a lot more in the future.

Thanks Mcmurphy, I got a little discouraged seeing other posts with 10+ pages and I have made it to two. You should know we had a bit of a celebration when the second page came up.

More serious note: any one know what I should expect to pay to have the rear drive shaft cut down to size?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #37
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Do you not like the transmission crossmember in the Suburban? If you would rather build your own, go for it. But there are many factory ones that will work.

All of the SM420's and SM465's have removeable plates where you can install a PTO. Some of the offroad 4x4 guys like the SM420's for their lower 1st gear.

Quote:
Well not much happened today, but we did figure out we are going to have to make our own rear transmission mounts, I just got home and I will do a little research to see what others have done, Not a big problem just our first real hurdle. I plan for a lot more in the future.

Thanks Mcmurphy, I got a little discouraged seeing other posts with 10+ pages and I have made it to two. You should know we had a bit of a celebration when the second page came up.

More serious note: any one know what I should expect to pay to have the rear drive shaft cut down to size?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #38
Crx150zc

When we tried to mount jimmys it was not even close. Granted his is a low hump and I have the high hump. The rear transmission mount hangs lower than the bottom frame rail and the suburban brace is trying to lift the transmission another 2 inches. He did research and from what he found we have to make a rear mount. Please let me know if were making a mistake, I am not sure if I am going to use the front mounting holes to avoid this problem or even if that will help. I will try to sneak over there today and get some pictures of what I am talking about.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #39
jimmy1614

I modified the seam that hangs down in the tranny tunnel and I think im good to go now
jimmy1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #40
McMurphy

I have some 3x2x1/8" tube I am going to make a tranny mount out of too for my build.
I am interested to see what you come up with.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #41
Crx150zc

Well I am not that far just yet, Tonight I got the frame rails cleaner, I tore the hood, fenders and radiator support off the 87 suburban and got too cold to go any further. That and a dinner invite from Jimmy made me drop tools and walk away for the night. We are uncertain about the rear cross member fitment, some say the 87 suburban one fits other say to make your own. We will see. This week end is suspension and partial frame painting.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #42
Crx150zc

Quick update, Got the front frame rails clean, maybe a bit too clean, I want to make sure the por sticks, I put the first coat on and had to call it a night, I used some of jimmy's brake cleaner and when we cranked up the heater it made my eyes were burning and I could not breathe any more. So I held my breath and closed my eyes and put a coat of por on the frame.

On to jimmy and his rear cross member, For some reason his 89 suburban cross member holds the transmission way to high, with the tranny shoved into the body we are still 4-5 inches from being able to get the side that bolts to the side of the frame even close. He does have the small hump so maybe that is stopping him or it could be that his truck hates him. Not sure. He made one out of some two inch box steel.

I am using an 87 suburban so I hope mine fits, I will find out soon. Lucky for me I have a high hump. If mine does not fit I would rather buy one than fab one up, I want to know it will hold when I decide to test the tires.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #43
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have always used a factory trans crossmember in these trucks. I have never bought an aftermarket one, not had to make one myself. The factory ones work just fine for me. Although I have not use the style it sounds like you have. But those should work just the same as the total inside the frame ones.

Keep in mind that your trans output shaft and the pinion, need to be parallel. Otherwise you will have driveshaft vibrations.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #44
coulter

welcome to the forum man!!! i also migrated from the honda world!!! dont worry you wont get bashed to death on this board like they do on honda-tech. you will like it here
keep up the good work

here are a few pics of my old hatch i posted in my build thread if u wanna check it out.. scroll to the bottom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...449548&page=13

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #45
Crx150zc

It was nice to break out the metric set today, I got the motor and transmission out today, Funny part was I only moved it back about 4ft and the lift sunk into the snow and ice. Now there it sits, That's ok need to do the suspension first, I would have pulled it but jimmy has never heard of line wrenches, I will try again tomorrow.

I still have my honda's just decided to take a break and build a truck to tow with.
Current daily driver is a GSR powered civic, I put an Acura EL dash conversion and if there is a bolt on the car I have turned it for one reason or another.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #46
Crx150zc

Quick Update: Been working on stripping the suburban, ran into a slight problem and wanted to know if any one had ideas, I want to do the fuel injection but it would appear I have a 40 gallon gas tank that does not seem to fit even close. will have to work that bug out in the future. I got the motor, tranny, and stuff out of the suburban. Thats as far as I got
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #47
Bomp

I checked in on your progress. Looks like your making good head way.
Not sure on the tank issue. Can you pull the pump and stuff out of the gigantic tank and put it in a smaller one?
Will be watchin'
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #48
Jeff La

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I know it can get a tad discouraging when your thread does not get any new, or much traffic...
But I guarentee people are looking and reading it; like me.
I read every new post on this board (they show up as dark blue when I open the page) I just dont comment unless I have something to say.

Though sometimes I think some of the guys would rather I didnt have anything to say, but that is another matter entirely!!

I was very interested to see if someone would chime in on the PTO plate you mentioned on the transmission...
The same with me, I read them all but don't comment much, I'm just keeping my mouth shut trying to learn something.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #49
Crx150zc

Well keep watching I make a lot of mistakes others can learn from

I have not been doing a lot, Today I washed the motor mounts and put a coat of primer on them and took the lower suburban cross member to the car wash, and the steering linkages. Came a little cleaner but I got some scrubbing to do. I might want to order my lowering spindles now while I am tearing it apart.

Sorry for the lack of pictures but I have been working in the dark and doubt any one wants pictures of how bad my painting skills are, Does not help that the only can of primer I found in the garage was filler primer and I think the pickup tube broke off in the can it will only spray upside down.
Keep plugging away ....

I once heard a great bit of advice that I am trying to stick to, "If you turn one bolt a day you are at least making progress"
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #50
Crx150zc

UGH never even got up to 20 degrees. I just could not bring myself to go out there and do any thing. Next weekend looks a lot better but the February tri-state swap meet is closing in fast. Love to find out who all from the forum will be there.

In other news I tried the molasses trick to remove rust from bolts and I was unimpressed. I am going to try to do the CLR trick next. Kinda feeling like I should be ordering parts or buying some thing but I am at a point where I just need to wrench and paint.