The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #26
GRX

Good call on mentioning drum wear and maximum diameter. In most places it is actually illegal for the shop to turn it past that.

Far as resurfacing ... it pains me to see so many people state that drums do not need to be turned if not obviously grooved. Speaking as one who has machined hundreds (if not thousands) of drums, I can say unequivocally that they do not always wear evenly across the surface. Most shops have a tool like below that only measures near the outer edge. It may be fine there, yet when measured across the entire drum with a dial indicator massive taper can be seen. Being that you now have a brand new shiny set of shoes with flat square surfaces, it's easy to see how that would prevent them making even contact across the entire drum. Not good for optimum stopping power as you can imagine. Personally, I always resurface my drums when replacing the shoes. And my 4 drum truck actually stops pretty well.

GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #27
primoflav

Re: Tutorial : Changing Front Brake Shoes (Drum Brakes) 1969 C10

Can u suggest a national store that could re surface them.ended up cleaning yard and shed and probably wont do breaks till tomorrow now.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #28
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoflav View Post
Can u suggest a national store that could re surface them.ended up cleaning yard and shed and probably wont do breaks till tomorrow now.

The NAPA store in my town turns brake drums. The guys don't like to do it so they always try and sell you new ones. I just say no thanks these look good enough to turn...... Almost any auto parts store should be able to do it or they will know someone in the area that does.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #29
primoflav

All thats close is autozone and oreilys both of which i dislike.closest napa to me is about 30 minutes away but for breaks i will make the drive.oreilys sold me wrong plug wires three times
Old 04-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #30
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoflav View Post
All thats close is autozone and oreilys both of which i dislike.closest napa to me is about 30 minutes away but for breaks i will make the drive.oreilys sold me wrong plug wires three times

I would call first. The NAPA store here charged me 8 bucks each for the last ones I had done.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #31
primoflav

Thanks for advice.i have never heard or anyone i know turning break drums just slap on shoes.if that napa doesnt do em will go to carquest.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:45 AM   #32
GRX

Like LockDoc said. Your best bet is to call around. The phone is tour friend. Ask guys at the local parts store about automotive machine shops in your area. Not just about turning drums, but engine work too. Always good to know when future things pop up.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #33
primoflav

My roomate works at a boat shop and all he does during winter is rebuild engines.and i have another buddy who works at machine shop.do when that day comes am covered.but i do agree with the calling sround its km y everyday driver and unless i do 25mph its a gas hog
Old 08-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #34
68C10LongBed

Can someone from this thread email me? I need some help. Tried following pbajwabb's tutorial but i think my drums are different. My email is voylesaustin@gmail.com
68C10LongBed is offline   Reply With Quote