The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #26
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Re: My 67' LWB small window project truck

Congarts looks like your getting a lot of work done by yourself keep up the good work..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #27
racerman85

Hey guys... First off these *&^$ spindles are impossible to get off! I have the entire front end torn apart waiting to get my disc brake setup that I ordered from GMCpauls ($1024 with new front coils and everything else needed) but I am having a horrible time getting the spindles off.

I also bought a hand held sand blaster and a box/25lb bag of glass beads to sandblast the front end of the truck. i'm sure I will need more, but it was $55 for both from harbor freight.
racerman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #28
letitride67

Keep up the good work.
letitride67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #29
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman85 View Post
Hey guys... First off these *&^$ spindles are impossible to get off!
Get yourself a pickle fork from the parts store. You might tear the ball joint boots but you probably want to replace them anyway:
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #30
racerman85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Get yourself a pickle fork from the parts store. You might tear the ball joint boots but you probably want to replace them anyway:
Tried that... didnt help much... my dad ended up using that for the top ball joint and we used a big hammer and hit the bottom ball joint and I stood on it with a big peice of steel to try to pry it apart. it worked!

We were planning on pulling the cab off the frame today to take it to get sand blasted but i crashed pretty hard today (motocross). I was winning the race and I crashed on a long straightaway and hit a tree back/head first. Luckily I had my neckbrace on (made of carbon fiber and something else). My neck snapped so hard back that I broke the carbon fiber. Needless to say im a little sore, but feeling very lucky I had my neckbrace on and im still thanking god for keeping me safe. Less than 2 years ago one of my close friends was in a crash almost exactly like mine where he hit a tree; sadly for him he didnt have a neck brace on and is paralyzed from the armpits down. I'm still feelin lucky. Sore, but lucky haha.

Anyways, on a lighter note, The sandblasting idea we had for the frame (doing it in house) isint going to work the way we expected. We are going to take it somewhere so I can sandblast it there/get it sandblasted there. I wanted to do it myself, but the cost of media is pretty high and we dont have the facility to sand blast in...
Old 09-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #31
racerman85

Hey guys-time for an update!

Started with this, about a week ago...

Partially torn down (arms before sandblasting)

Arms after sand blasting

It was a little past 10 when i finally got all the arms blasted and painted... Here was my setup to collect my glass beads

I ended up using my ranger as a "post" and stuck light in one of the pockets. It was the perfect size to hold two halogen lights-perfect! I'm pretty happy with the turn-out of the arms, now its just time for the frame
Old 09-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #32
racerman85

Some more updates

I've also decided to post a parts/price list of what i've got going on here...

Ball joints (2), front tie rod end (2), Front tie rod ends (2), Adjusting sleeve (2), Idler arm (1), Ball joint (2) total $151.28

2 cans of Rustoleum semi-gloss black spray paint between the frame and arms, 2 coats of paint. I'm very happy with how it came out, I spent 3 hours of sandblasting trying to get everything off. You can tell where the road salt laid, but on the top of the frame you can see where the press laid "scars". pretty neat IMO. Sadly, they dont make trucks like they used to :/

I figure since I have to do it in my report for my senior project, I figured i'd just add it here so when i come back later on and if I have already lost my reciepts I can just check here

Last edited by racerman85; 09-06-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #33
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice work. Nothing like the do it yourself way of getting it together.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #34
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

coming along nice, keep it up

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #35
GREASEMONKEY72

frames lookin better than mine does, lookin forward to seeing more progress

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #36
samwise68
FarmBoy.

thats one clean looking front end!

it's coming along nicely, keep up the senior proj.!

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #37
racerman85

Thanks guys. I'm hoping that when my steering parts come in tomorrow, i'll be able to get my front end put together and I can start on some body work. I dont know if i'll have the chance though because my brother and dad are racing cars tomorrow night and saturday night, so who knows!

I realized today that my biggest problem with doing this truck is I was "overwhelmed" until I actually started tearing it down and getting my hands dirty. It really is not as bad as I thought it would be (so far).

I wish I could've snapped a pic, but I sat at an intersection today talking to a pretty hot chick, around my age. Nothing special about that, accept she was driving a 68' LWB big window with a 396 in it, 3 on the tree and everything. She knew exactly what was in it and knew how to drive it There was some good inspiration there... She said when I get mine done we can go out for a cruise. Also, a few miles down the road (if anyone lives near York) There is a 1971-1972 LWB for sale, sb400 400r4. asking somewhere around 16k i THINK. I had to stop and look... Makes me wanna drive mine! I havent seen any C10's in a while, and today I saw 3! I couldnt believe it.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #38
bgm69

The cab should not need bracing depending on the extent of the rust perforation. If the rockers and floor panels are shot, you may want to brace it otherwize don't bother. Cheers!

Life is a challenge and so is my truck!
bgm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #39
racerman85

hey guys, I got nothing done this weekend.. I have been sick as a dog since friday after the car races... Ah hopefully I will feel good enough tomorrow to go to school and work on my truck after school tomorrow! Disc brake, steering parts, and front coil spring install hopefully to come tomorrow!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 PM   #40
samwise68
FarmBoy.

no worries man,

the same thing happened to me - went to watch my cousin's race, got rained out, and ended up getting dead bed sick. still have a cough.

get well soon, and get to the truck!

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #41
racerman85

hey... Still feeling sick, but I cant NOT work, although I didnt get much done, here is my small progress from today-

I got all my stuff sorted out and checked out what I need to get painted.

GMCpauls front disc brake kit w/ 9" power booster, 2 1/2 spindle drop, and stock front springs-

Painted stuff-

Spindles

Calipers

ETC.

I think they cut down an entire forest to ship this stuff! I got 6 different boxes of stuff...

And if anyone is still curious on what paints im using (so far) here is what i've got...

Old 09-11-2007, 01:43 AM   #42
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

I have a young friend here in Oregon (about your age) who owns a '65 C-20 long bed (that runs) and he refuses to do anything with it. He wants to sell it for a Chevy Luv pickup. YUCK!!! PUKE!!! He wants 500 bucks for the truck and if I didn't have so many projects myself, I would buy it. What an idiot. New cars (or a stupid Chevy Luv for that matter, no offience to those who own one) will NEVER have the class or style of the old classics. (with a few, RARE exceptions) Congrats on your truck, keep up the work, you will be so glad of the effort in the end. Besides, you can buy a new truck, but honestly??? will it look and turn heads like the one you are building? Also, there is nothing you are doing that can't be either... redone, reproduced or made better later. Don't worry about the details, you will learn more as you go. If you find that you could have done something different or better than change it. Thats the beauty of this... in 10 years, you can tear it down and redo it again. God knows how many cars of mine that I have redone. Keep it up!

Don

PS I know it may be alot in saying, but dump the spray cans and invest in a cheap compressor and a cheap spray gun. You will be MUCH happier in the end (the cheapest spray gun paint [catalized automotive grade] is 1000 X's better than the best-your-money-can-buy spray can paint), besides you can learn how to paint that way too. (hopfully paint your truck, heck, if I can do it, anyone can) Isn't there a Harbor Freight near where you live???

Last edited by Richard8971; 09-11-2007 at 02:02 AM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #43
racerman85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard8971 View Post
If you find that you could have done something different or better than change it. Thats the beauty of this... in 10 years, you can tear it down and redo it again. God knows how many cars of mine that I have redone. Keep it up!
THANK YOU! I have been saying that all along and everyone keeps saying "why waste your time on a 40 year old truck when you can have a brand new one that is much nicer" (my parents pay for my vehicle of choice for my 2nd vehicle). Its not that I dont like anything new out there, its I like my nice, slow, low old truck that virtually no one else drives!!!

Quote:
PS I know it may be alot in saying, but dump the spray cans and invest in a cheap compressor and a cheap spray gun. You will be MUCH happier in the end (the cheapest spray gun paint [catalized automotive grade] is 1000 X's better than the best-your-money-can-buy spray can paint), besides you can learn how to paint that way too. (hopfully paint your truck, heck, if I can do it, anyone can) Isn't there a Harbor Freight near where you live???
I wanted to do the same thing! I have a really nice compressor and a cheap harbor freight paint gun, but my dad said that it didnt matter. Trust me, I fought to see if I could get him to budge, but I would kinda rather the money is spent elsewhere on the truck. But thanks, and I fully agree with you-when I redo the truck later, it will be done with a paint gun-believe me!

Last edited by racerman85; 09-11-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:11 AM   #44
Richard8971

Quote:
but my dad said that it didnt matter.
Doesn't matter huh? Hmmm... if that were true, then why don't all the body shops around the world use rattle can spray paint for thier cars?

Keep working on your dad, I am sure he will see the value of doing it right, even if it takes a little longer or costs a little more.

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 09-12-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #45
Richard8971

Quote:
"why waste your time on a 40 year old truck when you can have a brand new one that is much nicer"
Nicer eh? If a new Chevy or Ford drives by you, you might take a quick glance and say "eh, nice truck", BUT a person cruzes by with a fixed up old classic truck, people stop, stare and say "OMG, look at that, hey so-in-so check it out!"

People stop in the parking lots to look at your classic. They never pay attention to the mass-produced blah people are driving. Wait till you are done and watch what they say.

Do what makes YOU happy, your friends don't have to drive it, and when you are done, watch how many of your friends want to take YOUR truck when they go places.

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 09-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #46
racerman85

Quote:
Nicer eh? If a new Chevy or Ford drives by you, you might take a quick glance and say "eh, nice truck", BUT a person cruzes by with a fixed up old classic truck, people stop, stare and say "OMG, look at that, hey so-in-so check it out!"

People stop in the parking lots to look at your classic. They never pay attention to the mass-produced blah people are driving. Wait till you are done and watch what they say.

Do what makes YOU happy, your friends don't have to drive it, and when you are done, watch how many of your friends want to take YOUR truck when they go places.
"nicer" in most kids eyes is brand new. Or maybe a civic (what a joke!) IMO the older the better, I dont plan on letting any friends drive it haha. It will pretty much be me driving it, and occasionally my dad.

Quote:
Doesn't matter huh? Hmmm... if that were true, then why don't all the body shops around the world use rattle can spray paint for thier cars?

Keep working on your dad, I am sure he will see the value of doing it right, even if it takes a little longer or costs a little more.
I know it does matter, but for time and money (plus i've already painted 1/2 the frame) it just wont work out for now. I want to strip it and paint it correctly next time i rebuild it, but this will work for now I guess. I fully agree with you, though!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #47
racerman85

DOH! I cased a jump racing motocross on the 15th (2 days after my 17th birthday!) and I broke the middle of my foot (the bone that is behind your big toe that connects your big toe to your ankle). I havent gotten much work done until today, and I pretty much went through my steering parts (I didnt get the chance to check it all out yet) and found they didnt give me my upper ball joints(?).

Other than that, I got the seat pulled out and the cab is unbolted, but still on the frame. Also, I got the doors off... My dad helped me out today because of obvious reasons (cant carry anything pretty much). Another good thing today is that it was my first day walking around without crutches because they are getting annoying!

I dont have any pictures of my progress today because it is starting to rain. Its nice to be walking, at least!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #48
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: My 67' LWB small window project truck

QOUTE - I have been racing motocross for 12 years, and it is pretty much the center of my life (for the most part).

you know that is true as we grow up all we do is eat sleep and ride motorcycle's , but you know at 38 now I would rather walk than ride a bike , just got sick of e'm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #49
racerman85

An update!

up, and back

Cripple (me) doing some sand blasting...

Now some painting...

Frame before:

Frame after:

And frame with paint:

And my dad and I started on some of the cancer...

Old 10-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #50
gferris5

Powerglide, I'd bet... Your transmission.

Nice work on your truck man, my dad and I painted mine for my senior project 8 years ago and I've barely touched it since! Make sure to thank your folks everyday for their "funding." Once you man one of these guys on your own it's a whole different story. Looks like you're in good hands.
Peace,
GF5