The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #26
jmedero

Re: This new girl has a problem!

I was vapor locking on the power tour last year. My tank on my nova just needed to be vented better. Some fuel line and a filter on the end and boom. Did the last two stops of the tour with no problem. It was in the 110 deg range those days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #27
kevmic28

I had the same issues. took off the rochester and put on a edelbrock. Still have some issues when its over 100 but not as bad as before.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #28
MacGyver72

Hello everyone. Took me a little longer to get on the forum than babydoll but I'm the boyfriend. Thanks for all the suggestions. I replaced the thermostat with a 180. (apparently 185 no longer available) Of course now the weather has broken so we won't have hot enough weather here to cause an issue any longer. ha ha ha Anyway, vapor lock is very common with mechanical pumps and carbs due to low fuel pressure. Idling in hot weather in traffic is the worst. Insulating the lines is about the best you can do. Thanks for all the helpful tips.
MacGyver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #29
50bomb

Nice truck
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #30
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver72 View Post
Hello everyone. Took me a little longer to get on the forum than babydoll but I'm the boyfriend. Thanks for all the suggestions. I replaced the thermostat with a 180. (apparently 185 no longer available) Of course now the weather has broken so we won't have hot enough weather here to cause an issue any longer. ha ha ha Anyway, vapor lock is very common with mechanical pumps and carbs due to low fuel pressure. Idling in hot weather in traffic is the worst. Insulating the lines is about the best you can do. Thanks for all the helpful tips.
Welcome to the forum. You will find this is a good place to get help with the problems that happen with these old trucks.

There are some very helpful people here that are always willing to assist with any problems. I have learned a lot from many of them in the years I have been on here.

Hope everything works out with the problems. I was having heat problems with my '71 with a 454 and stock carb. Since we are building a '67 swb stepper with the same engine we are doing some upgrades that should help including a mini starter with remote solenoid and a new Holley carb with a phenolic spacer under it.

I am sure liking the cooler temps, we turned off the a/c. Heck even had to wear a long sleeve shirt this morning when I first went outside.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #31
babydoll

Smile Re: This new girl has a problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
You comment is insulting. I am not "Taking anyone for a ride". I have personally used this method to trouble shoot several times. Ask any mechanic from the age of carburetors and he will tell you it works. I not only gave you the tool, I provided an explanation as to why it works. The other theory is that is acts as an insulator and protects the line from the surrounding heat. Either way, it is an inexpensive easy tool to help in diagnostics. If it fixes the problem, you know you have a vapor lock issue and you can proceed to resolve it with a more permanent solution. IE check fuel pressure, re-route the fuel line etc... etc... etc...

Even though you were being a smart ass I will answer your ridiculous question about new trucks in hot climates, Obviously clothes pins on the fuel line was not an option. When these trucks were new off the line they did not have weak fuel pumps, re-routed fuel lines or any number of other changes that may cause a vapor lock issue. Seems to me you are the one who needs to "show some professionalism."
Now boys! No need to fuss, please! My boyfriend had also heard of this diagnostic idea. Believe me, all ideas are welcome and appreciated!
babydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #32
babydoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
Welcome to the board from Florida! Nice truck! And nice to see another chick into these trucks! You are at the right place!!!
You go gurl!!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #33
babydoll

That is amazing, Joseph! Thank you for sharing! We will, of course, be painting the top of the cab white.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #34
babydoll

Smile Re: This new girl has a problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver72 View Post
Well, no problem until next summer anyway, dear. And thanks for joining me on here. Erma Jane and I love you!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #35
VA72C10
VA72C10

Welcome to the board...Nice truck...and sounds like your boyfriend solved the issue. Good job!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #36
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll View Post
Now boys! No need to fuss, please! My boyfriend had also heard of this diagnostic idea. Believe me, all ideas are welcome and appreciated!
Dang, when you said boyfreind....you really hurt this old man All in fun, but she looks like a sweet ride. Have fun playin.....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #37
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Welcome to the board Babydoll and MacGyver72!
...and COOL truck!

Oddly enough, we are seeing a lot more vapor lock, even here in Seattle.
I would think current fuel mixes are aggravating the problem...
the boiling point of alcohol is way different than gasoline.

And yes, clothes pins will help pinpoint the problem. I prefer wooden ones.

And Babydoll, don't mind the boys...just think of it as having 85,000+ big brothers.

Ellen

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...

Last edited by ETsC10; 09-07-2011 at 10:43 PM.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #38
babydoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
Dang, when you said boyfreind....you really hurt this old man All in fun, but she looks like a sweet ride. Have fun playin.....crazyL
Aw, sorry hon! Maybe Bigsnookmaster is single. LOL!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #39
1969K10

don't see it on here, but i'd look at replacing the fuel pump. I've had them act very similar, before going out completely

past horses in the stable
72 C10-short step (97-02), 68 C10-long fleet (06-12)
1969K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #40
babydoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETsC10 View Post
Welcome to the board Babydoll and MacGyver72!
...and COOL truck!

Oddly enough, we are seeing a lot more vapor lock, even here in Seattle.
I would think current fuel mixes are aggravating the problem...
the boiling point of alcohol is way different than gasoline.

And yes, clothes pins will help pinpoint the problem. I prefer wooden ones.

And Babydoll, don't mind the boys...just think of it as having 85,000+ big brothers.

Ellen, I never mind boys. hahaha!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #41
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll View Post
Aw, sorry hon! Maybe Bigsnookmaster is single. LOL!
Well , I may not be single, but I am pretty much harmless.....however If I had a daughter, I could be dangerous! When a kid would show up to take my babygirl out.....I Would be polishing up my sawed off 12 gauge& loading it for future reference I have 2 rowdy boys, that I have just tryed to bail em out of the crazy chit! One is 22, & the other is 26 now....but I really wanted a baby girl ,but I am sure she would have been spoiled ROTTEN! At any rate, have fun in the 67-72 hobby.....& dont mind the boys crazyAL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote