The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #26
Twisted Minis

Re: Started making my wishbone

Do you want an honest welding opinion?

Make sure you have enough room for a jam nut on that rod end. You can seize the threads if you don't run one.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #27
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Minis View Post
Do you want an honest welding opinion?

Make sure you have enough room for a jam nut on that rod end. You can seize the threads if you don't run one.
Yes, opinions and feedback of what I should do and how to do it will only make me do better next time.

I'll get a jam nut for the rod end.

Thanks
Tri5Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #28
Twisted Minis

In some spots it looks like the gap may have been too large (the part that kind of looks like a weave). The front on the tube parallel with the bolts and bushings looks to also have too large of a gap, resulting in a lot of filler and a lot of heat. And the two diagonal tubes look to have too much filler on a good fitting joint. It also looks like the flat material is much thicker than the tubing. Realistically they should be similar in thickness, or you should focus the heat as much as possible into the thicker material. But it doesn't look like you have any undercut joints, which is good, no stress risers. But too much reinforcement and not enough penetration is almost as bad.

Just remember that fit up and prep are key when TIG welding. TIG will make you a better fabricator, because gaps are difficult to weld, and become a weak point in whatever you are building.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #29
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Minis View Post
In some spots it looks like the gap may have been too large (the part that kind of looks like a weave). The front on the tube parallel with the bolts and bushings looks to also have too large of a gap, resulting in a lot of filler and a lot of heat. And the two diagonal tubes look to have too much filler on a good fitting joint. It also looks like the flat material is much thicker than the tubing. Realistically they should be similar in thickness, or you should focus the heat as much as possible into the thicker material. But it doesn't look like you have any undercut joints, which is good, no stress risers. But too much reinforcement and not enough penetration is almost as bad.

Just remember that fit up and prep are key when TIG welding. TIG will make you a better fabricator, because gaps are difficult to weld, and become a weak point in whatever you are building.
I realize that I had some larger gaps than I should have, that's why there are some filler welds.
I had a difficult time in getting the gussets to fit inside the tubes and yes the gusset is thicker than the tube. Now I know from you pointing that out to make the gussets the same thickness of the tube.

Those are great points you made, now I'll really pay attention to fitment and prep before welding.

I also did the same type of gusset on the underside of the wishbone to provide strength, hopefully that won't be an issue.

The information you are providing is not just beneficial to me but to others that might want to try to do something themselves.

Tri5
Old 05-22-2009, 01:40 AM   #30
Twisted Minis

I'm not sure what you mean by putting another one on the bottom? That one looks centered?

Realistically, the strongest joint you could have done would be to put a plate on each side of that joint, with plate of equal thickness to the tubing. And put the plate basically on top of the tubing, so that it ends at the tubes highest crown.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, so look at the control arms in the back of this picture. You would basically want to fit your gusset the way the bag plate is fitted to the arm, so that it sits on the tubes highest crown.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #31
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

That's what I did, put another plate almost on top of the other side.
Next time I'll use the correct thickness though.

Damn, your welds are beautiful!
Old 05-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #32
gixxerpymp

twisted.... You do some stick work!

very nice!
gixxerpymp is offline   Reply With Quote