The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2006, 12:57 AM   #26
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Re: My new 71 shorty bed

It looks pretty good that short.. Welcome to the board. You could always put trailing arms on it agian make a swb..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:23 PM   #27
'72hemieater
DODGE SMACKDOWN CLUB

Yes I agree best bet is to ditch that bed buy another one and weld in a four link
'72hemieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:12 AM   #28
2bits

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy with holidays and working on the truck, The glove box says the wheelbase was 127" I don't know if that is a short or long Bed, but I believe it was a short bed that was shortened. I do not believe it is a frame transplant or wrecked (pictures look funny sometimes).

The very first post was right on the money, I disconnected the shocks altogether and now the rear end moves freely. The only bad part to that is that you are also right that there is very little play so I can't really drive it still because the frame slaps against the rear end which obviously isn't a wonderful thing! I have been having oil leak issues from hell so I couldn't drive it anyway. The valve covers were blowing oil, so I put some chrome valve covers from my shelf on it that leaked on a another car, but for some reason I thought I would have better luck... yeah right, they leaked like crazy! So I swapped them out for the original valve covers after painting them, and it was better but still leaked like crazy from somewhere else that I could not pin down. I had the exhaust finished out the next day and flowmasters put on, so I could think while it was running, and then went after the leak again, I thought it was the distributor because it was coming from the back and the oil pressure line was good, but no such luck... the rear intake gasket blew out, so Tuesday night I pulled the intake off, and Wednesday I put it back on (I usually don't start working until 10pm so time is limited). Last night, after it had cured for a day, I took it out and the leaks are all resolved! The 400 tranny is shifting better now because there is actually vacuum! I painted the dash black to match also. Now back to the rear half... I believe it was a short bed that was made into a shorter bed, and the rear of the frame cut off. The issues with the rear are all resolved except the shocks. I think the angle of the shocks is totally bad, and the other shock mount farther forward probably wouldn't work at all. I am probably going to relocate the shock mount on the axle to the back of the axle and weld a mount to where the frame moves higher, because they just don't make shocks that short I am finding. I am hoping some coilover shocks will keep it stiff enough to deal with the short travel distance of the frame to the rear end. If not, there is a Monster Garage Custom shop right around the corner from my house and I will see what suggestions they have for me. I would rather make the existing set up worth rather than try to put it back to a stock configuration because I like it like this and it is almost done anyway, and I am working on a shoestring budget. More to come... here are all the current pics I have! thanks for the welcome!

http://www.grossepointegothic.com/71stepside/

Thomas
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #29
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Looks like shes comming along very nice.. Once you get the rear of the truck fixed itll be a good little ride..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:33 AM   #30
desertrat

Are you going to leave the rear end where it is? If so I think you need to address the frame issue. Since the previous owner moved the rear axle forward without shortening the frame you have limited suspension travel. Anything you do to the rear supension (other than raising the truck) wont help bottoming out or riding rough.

Last edited by desertrat; 12-30-2006 at 12:34 AM.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:06 AM   #31
desertrat

I hope you don't mind but I was playing with you're truck a little.
Attached Images

desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 AM   #32
2bits

hmm... now two things just gave me some ideas. I know my next big stage is going to be finishing the rear suspension. I will try coilover shocks first after a few more consultations, I would expect to ride rough with that, but it is a nice cheap way to go for right now. Something you said made me think too... "raising the truck"... that is an option I hadn't thought of yet! I wish I could grab that '69 frame, off Craig's list, but I can't afford to do a frame off right now! The rear end is stayin' put, and I will make it good! Here's an idea haha!

PS: I just started it up and went around the block and it is pretty awesome.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2bits; 12-30-2006 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Adding Picture
Old 12-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #33
Boog
laying low

Well Thomas. This is an interesting little truck. The shorty wheelbase deal really works well for offroading like rockcrawling and such. And it is different to see a short one on the street. Has a uniqueness to it. I can't say I would have gone about the suspension mods in that way but for just a beater that most likely won't be hauling any loads or pulling any loads it may work out ok. The shock angle is useless as is. I've long forgotten what the preferred mounting angle is but it will have to be more vertical to be of much use. The lite rear weight won't see much up and down movement. You may need to have a tubed crossmember welded in to mount the top of the shocks behind the axle. Check out the shock mounts on other axles and note some of them are welded to the axle and extend down 4 or 5 inches from the tubes. They don't need to extend down past the wheel lip/scrub line though. This may help gain some needed room to mount a shock and still have some movement. I'm afraid using coilover shocks will only make the rear even more stiff. As far as the frame/axle housing contact is concerned you could have that "monster garage" cut the frame rails and weld in a piece of pipe as in a C notch for cleareance on each side. That will take care of the axle smacking the frame rails. I am not bashing your new ride but offering a couple of low buck suggestions. All in all I think it will make a good hotrod pickup. The engine cleaned up real nice too. Enjoy it.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:22 PM   #34
2bits

Hey Boog, Thanks for the suggestions! that is a good idea lowering the shock mounts! I was only thinking of raising them on the frame so lowering them on the axle too might get me enough clearance to get a shock in there. The frame has been notched, so that helps some, I don't mind a stiffer ride, it isn't that stiff any more now. I am really thinking about putting some more leaf springs in it to raise the end some too.

My buddies came over today and we put in a wood bed! we just used a sheet of 3/4" plywood with a good birch veneer on it and some trim boards (Why did they make beds 4 foot and ONE INCH wide???) but it turned out awesome. I am going to leave the tailgate off for a while now. It just looks too nice! I think I added some value to the truck today! Here is the truck site with the new pics:

http://www.grossepointegothic.com/71stepside/

Thomas
Old 12-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #35
Gray Ghost

Cool project for sure Thomas. Got a real kick riding in it today. The truck runs like a scalded ape. I'd bet it's running around 375-400 hp from the response I felt. It has quite the cam in it...loping happily at idle.

The pics look great! The body of this truck is in very good shape and there's no rust anywhere, even the mirror holes have been filled...so well that I didn't know they were ever there.

Sure enjoyed today...my sides still hurt from laughing so much at the comments we were all making!!
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #36
72armyswbtruck

Man I sure can dig the look that the previous owner was going for, hope you can get all the kinks out. One of a kind you got there
Old 12-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #37
CTSmokey

Thumbs up Re: My new 71 shorty bed

Thomas, had one hell of a good time at your place today. I also have to thank you for the birthday gift!
Once we get all the kinks worked out this is going to be one fun truck.
she sure sounds sweet! You got a real bargain on this rust free truck for sure.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:56 AM   #38
AKChevyman
Chevy Forever

I only have one question where is the fuel tank I noticed that the filler neck was shaved but I don't see a tank in any of the bed shots. Cool little truck you have there I have a buddy here that has a trazer and yours reminds me of that alot.
Getting face lift and heart transplant .30 402 BB /TH400 and GV
Wifes car
1969 Chevelle SS 396 325hp/TH400
Factroy A/C Automatic w/ Floor shift console.
restored.
AKChevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #39
2bits

Yeah, I've been looking at GMC Pauls Blazer relocation tank kits today actually, because when I got this truck I definitely caught the guy in mid-project! So now you can guess to fill my tank you open the door, lean the seat forward and then lean the TANK forward and fill 'er up! He just unbolted the thing and slid it over! That's a great way to get high if you're into breathing gas fumes which I am not haha... so the new shock mounts and shocks are first, then gas tank relocation is second on the big project list! I guess I'll go out and see what the rear axle ratio is also. I think the consensus yesterday was 373. I'm heading to my friend's junkyard after that, lets see if I can get that seat and dash today!

Thank to Kelly and Smokey for coming over and working on the bed! I had a blast too!

Thomas
Old 12-31-2006, 03:49 PM   #40
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

That is a very cool lookin truck.I really wish the fella had shortened the frame properly though,it'd make things so much easier for you.
Make sure to keep us updated on your progress!
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:15 PM   #41
2bits

BIG Problem solved! I was at the junkyard today, and I was getting this gas pedal out of a 70 model truck and I just happened to notice the front shocks and I thought man, those are short! Well the gears in my head started turning, and I already knew the length I was looking for, so I head up to Oriellys and they pull a set and they look like they are the right median length. I buy them and get home and bolt them on, and even though the angle is still too drastic in my opinion, THEY WORK! If anything they are at the top range of the shock, so I can still relocate the top to within 15 degrees and then it will be perfect. They are moving in and out as they should right now though, and I just took a haulin' ass cruise down Duck Creek which is a big time bouncy road and I never got even close to hitting the frame, and the ride feels just fine too. How ironic it is that I can use the front shocks for this truck on the rear! That's a major stumbling block accomplished! Even though it is not perfect, I can actually DRIVE the truck now! I won't be trusting that rigged top mount for long though don't worry hehe HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Last edited by 2bits; 12-31-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #42
Boog
laying low

Well there ya go. One little prob at a time. Oil leak stopped, floor in bed and shocks mounted. Alright!
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #43
watahyahknow

the truck certanly has potential , when i first saw it i thought they used a blazerframe and put a pickup cab on that .
it does look good i might even do it this way when i shortening my long bed fleetside in the future

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #44
2bits

Wheew! you are saying alot there! The only benefit to this way is that the frame that is left is all in tact and not cut. As long as I can get an upper shock mount that is trustworthy, I guess everything on the rear end will be good. I wish he would have put the leaf spring mounts a little lower so A: All four bolts will be in the frame and B: That would give a lot more clearance for the frame to rear end. I guess he really wanted it lowered though. I probably end up cutting the weld and then moving the mounts down to where they ought to be on the frame and that should let me load up the bed for hauling stuff.

I also finally got under it and spun the wheels, and the driveshaft spins 4 full times to the wheel making three complete turns. now given a margin of error for tire size what does that sound like for a rear end gear ratio??

I'm putting front shocks on it today and going for it's first long drive! I'm going back to the junkyard to pick up a cool steering wheel I forgot to get yesterday and see if I can get lucky if the other yard is open that has the seat and dash. I might put the tach back in so I can see what kind of RPMs I am pulling on the freeway. Wish me luck that I can finish the interior today!

Thomas
Old 01-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #45
Gray Ghost

Very cool you got the shocks to work!!

The rear tires are 295/50 15's. I didn't measure them for height. The noise and rpms sound like it's at least a 3.73.

What steering wheel did you spot? I need to go to that yard soon to see what all he has.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #46
2bits

It's funny because it is the exact same steering wheel you have Kelly! It doesn't have the center cap, but a generic chrome one will work fine.

I just got home, I got almost to downtown and hit a traffic jam and didn't want to sit through it with the tranny shifting only when I let up on it, and the RPMs so high it was driving me crazy. I made sure the vacuum lines were good, so the tranny has got to go. The rear end too... Maybe I'm simple but I can't imagine why anyone would put those kind of gears in on purpose. I am doing 65 on the freeway and the engine is going crazy! I'm just a freeway driver though, not a racer, but how can you win a race if, you top out at 75mph?

I'm going to get in the Jimmy and head back out to the yard now, I spotted a rear end sitting on TOP of the back of a 70 model truck that just came in a little while ago, I am going to verify what it is and take it home if it is good. If he has a good tranny laying around I will get it too but I doubt that, I'll need to pull one at some point. I may be doing a rear end swap tonight haha...

Thomas
Old 01-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #47
Gray Ghost

Must be higher than I thought then....4.11's probably. You can open it up after the swap and find out by counting teeth.

I have a 3.07 in mine, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a 3.07 or 3.08. Good luck on the axle and tranny!

I like this wheel even though the horn buttons never work on them, but you know how to get around that one!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 AM   #48
2bits

Well good news on the rear end front... does that make any sense? I put an ad out to trade my high gears for whomever's low gears and the guy came out last night and we popped open the rear case to see what they were, and well, he didn't get what he wanted but I did. It has some crazy low highway gears like 2.73 and it is an 8.5" too, so it's a good rear end for what I want which means I don't need to replace it! It also means that the tranny that I already knew was messed up is really messed up big time haha, but I was going to swap it out anyway. I love to take road trips, so those gears and a 4 speed will do fine, except I can't afford a 4 speed I will have to settle for a 350 haha... anyone local got one for $50?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 AM   #49
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I have a NP435 on the parts board if you're interested.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:06 AM   #50
2bits

What in hades is a NP435! I probably only have $50 for the tranny budget so it will be a junkyard 350 unless I win the lottery!