The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #26
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's Shop Toys

We got a few hrs in today but not much do to dropping off customer projects and picking up new ones.

I decided to make a mock up door jamb to see if the hinge placment was going to work. I used my shrinker and streacher to make the jamb piece then Jim took over and made the mount and spot welded it all together while I went for coffee. When I got back (short walk) I found it all worked great. This is good because I have all the templete's made for how this one is set up and I will be using them again for anoter build comming up. While Jim was working on some 3/16 plates for the door it self for the hinges to mount thru I worked on the caps to cover the old strike area. They turned out real nice for a hammer job.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 03-30-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #27
SCOTI

That last one is an extremely cool pic!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #28
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
That last one is an extremely cool pic!
I thought the same thing. This truck is so low we had to jack up the trailer and block the ramps just to get it loaded. To unload it I just backed the trailer tires to the curb and rolled it off and this is were it stopped. Figure the truck is 67 years old and the house is still another 45yrs older then that This should be a sweet truck when done. The owner did all the curent work about 15yrs ago and it was done well but now it is time to complete it so he can drive the cr@p out of it.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #29
race-rodz

mock-up jam is brillant. i wished i would have used hinges like that vs the after market set-up.
race-rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #30
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I thought the same thing. This truck is so low we had to jack up the trailer and block the ramps just to get it loaded. To unload it I just backed the trailer tires to the curb and rolled it off and this is were it stopped. Figure the truck is 67 years old and the house is still another 45yrs older then that This should be a sweet truck when done. The owner did all the curent work about 15yrs ago and it was done well but now it is time to complete it so he can drive the cr@p out of it.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Even w/the bags air'd up & no drivetrain in my 68, I had to pull it up onto the trailer using 4x4 wood planks on the ramps & 2x6 planks on the trailer floor. Without the wood, that dang factory trailing arm c.member quickly halted loading the truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #31
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Even w/the bags air'd up & no drivetrain in my 68, I had to pull it up onto the trailer using 4x4 wood planks on the ramps & 2x6 planks on the trailer floor. Without the wood, that dang factory trailing arm c.member quickly halted loading the truck.
My trailer has a 4' dove tail and 4' ramps and this still was not enough, I have never had that happen before. I have had plenty of very low cars notice on my drivway I had the approach changed just so I would not drag and this truck still did when I pulled it out to get it straite. What you can not see is the front noise sticks about 2-3" below the bottom of the bumper but I will change that

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #32
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by race-rodz View Post
mock-up jam is brillant. i wished i would have used hinges like that vs the after market set-up.
Thanks, I was very happy to see how well these pull away as they rotate around and clear everything very well. Even the lower body line clears at the point by about 3/16" to 1/4" and that is with a 3/16" door gap for a starting point.

Kevin
LFD inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 03-30-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #33
SCOTI

Quote:
My trailer has a 4' dove tail and 4' ramps and this still was not enough, I have never had that happen before. I have had plenty of very low cars notice on my drivway I had the approach changed just so I would not drag and this truck still did when I pulled it out to get it straite. What you can not see is the front noise sticks about 2-3" below the bottom of the bumper but I will change that

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Mine has a 4' dove tail & 5' ramps.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #34
jdstx

That jamb piece is nice. That looks like alot of shrinking and stretching for a mock up piece. Man you do good work. I have a difficult enough time just adjusting the doors on these trucks! Also, my trailer has no dove tail and 5 ft ramps. I installed a 7k drop leg jack on it. I have had the rear tires of my truck almost off the ground loading low vehicles, but it works.
jdstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #35
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstx View Post
That jamb piece is nice. That looks like alot of shrinking and stretching for a mock up piece. Man you do good work. I have a difficult enough time just adjusting the doors on these trucks! Also, my trailer has no dove tail and 5 ft ramps. I installed a 7k drop leg jack on it. I have had the rear tires of my truck almost off the ground loading low vehicles, but it works.
Yes it was a bit of work but only about an hour to get it set up to swing. If I did not do this then it would have ment cutting a door, setting hinge mounts only to find that it may or may not work. Plus now I have the templetes and mock up jamb for the next ones I do and that will save alot of time and guess work.
I have plans to build another set of ramps for my trailer that will be 7' and slide under the front sides of the trailer for just this reason but untill now I did not need them.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:57 AM   #36
Rokcrln

Well The rear jambs are done and we should have some doors swinging by end of Monday. I will also be working on the Burb 4th door jamb most of Monday while Jim works on the crew cab doors so I hope to get alot of progress because Tuesday I have to go back to my 9-5 day job so things will slow a bit here.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #37
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Kevin, thanks for posting this. It allows alot of us to live our dreams through your work. Keep it up.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #38
Rokcrln

Would this not be the ultimate chassie for the crew cab build! Can you say 1971 chevy TopKick

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #39
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

That reminds me of this. That's a full size H2 and Avalanche in the background:
Attached Images

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 04-01-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #40
Rokcrln

Except the one I posted is usable as a tow vehical and much safer to drive in the street. I was up in santa rosa last week and saw a new burb that made that truck lok small

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #41
72cheyennesuper20

Kevin, I have been trying to talk the family into a trip to California to tour LFD. And all they want to see in California is Disneyland and the Governator. I told them of the work you did on project penecilan. And the work on LFD Project. I even told them of the one man cab lift, And still nothing. Keep up the good work. even if the family doesn't think so I think you would be a better vacation destination than Disneyland.
72cheyennesuper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #42
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cheyennesuper20 View Post
Kevin, I have been trying to talk the family into a trip to California to tour LFD. And all they want to see in California is Disneyland and the Governator. I told them of the work you did on project penecilan. And the work on LFD Project. I even told them of the one man cab lift, And still nothing. Keep up the good work. even if the family doesn't think so I think you would be a better vacation destination than Disneyland.

Trust me you will see more of LFD here on the site. Take the family to Disney and enjoy the time with them.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #43
Rokcrln

Swing! I had Jim and Jugernot over today giving my a hand with the crew cab as I was trying to get some work done on the burb. Here are some shots of Jug and Jim making good progress. I still have some welding to finish up then once the frame table is done I can strech it out a bit. Jugernot is the one in grey and Jim is in red.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 04-02-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #44
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Door's came out Nice, Really making some Good Progress on the Crew cab. Can't wait to see you mating the 2 Cab's together...........

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #45
Rokcrln

Then here is a bit of work on the burb. I did not get as much done as I wanted but we made good progress on the crew cab today. I got the upper door opening metal all formed and tacked in place. I also got both upper sides all trimmed and tacked and ready to be finished and smoothed out.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 04-02-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #46
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
Door's came out Nice, Really making some Good Progress on the Crew cab. Can't wait to see you mating the 2 Cab's together...........

Rick
Me to but it won't be two cabs but one with a 33" gap filled in!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #47
race-rodz

Quote:
Me to but it won't be two cabs but one with a 33" gap filled in!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
shouldnt that be 32 1/4"
race-rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #48
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by race-rodz View Post
shouldnt that be 32 1/4"
No I am going with the same size as a burb rear door so it will be 33 1/8"+- acording to the one sitting next to it. I like how the last 4dr I built looked so I figured I will just go that way but the doors will not be cut untill I stretch the cab and have a good look.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #49
Rokcrln

Made some progress today on the burb. Made a few more templetes as well. One for the drivers side of the B-post and one for the inside of the B-post for the hinge bolt access covers. I am spending alot of time making these templetes for furture builds and customers. This way they will be exact and quicker then doing them from scratch each time. I also spent a few hours cleaning up the top and sides of the 4th door opening.
How often do you see a 4dr burb or a 4dr 68 PU let alone both together!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #50
Rokcrln

And

Kevin
LFD Inc.