The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #26
DesertCat

Re: How many build their rides that do not do this for a living?

tmoble, still in Talibania (land of diaper rash) but going home this week! But only for a couple weeks.

I know there are lots of members and get-togethers all over... check out the AZ part of the forum

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=145

If something is going on in June I'd like to go.

Sorry for the hijack, now back to our normal broadcast
Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #27
kgmunro

I am a Chrysler parts guy that takes alot of heat for owning a 57 gmc and a 69 camaro....I work on mine at night and weekends from my 26 x 26 garage at home.
kgmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #28
99-LS1-SS

Just tell them that "you work for show but, you build for go". lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmunro View Post
I am a Chrysler parts guy that takes alot of heat for owning a 57 gmc and a 69 camaro....I work on mine at night and weekends from my 26 x 26 garage at home.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #29
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I just have regular two car attached garage with lots of tools, bike and Camaro in it. The truck has to live in the driveway.

There are a bunch with nice shops, and some pros, but I'd guess most of us do something else for a living.

The key to having tools is to always be hunting for them and acquiring. You can get tools almost anywhere. Garbage sales, swap meets, CL, etc.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #30
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
hobby for me....cheaper than a shrink, i think..
Posted via Mobile Device
Ditto on the shrink!
I put mine together in the driveway and back patio. I recently relocated to Virginia and have a two car garage but no truck! Moving it wasn't part of the relo package so I'm saving to have it shipped here. If it's not soon, I may need that shrink!!

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #31
pgf545

I am far from a professional but am fortunate to have a nice place to work. My dad build a big "Toy" shop for all of us to play in. We have quite a collection of tools from many years of racing. Now the only things that get worked on are the toys....the 52 and my 69 Camaro...oh yeah mom's Corvair...lol

Bernie
Old 06-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #32
candyx

First time builder here and i have a shop with a miller,lathe and welders that we use for construction.I did all the big stuff in the shop but i perfer my garage at home.It sucks driving 30 mins to the shop and working and then driving home again.In the garage at home there is no travel time and you can take breaks and then go back to work as much as you want,at the shop you have to work the whole time as not to waste any time.Now if my shop was in my back yard that would be a whole different story but since its not i rather work at home in the garage.
The guys who have it made are the ones that own body shops !!!!!
candyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #33
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyx View Post
First time builder here and i have a shop with a miller,lathe and welders that we use for construction.I did all the big stuff in the shop but i perfer my garage at home.It sucks driving 30 mins to the shop and working and then driving home again.In the garage at home there is no travel time and you can take breaks and then go back to work as much as you want,at the shop you have to work the whole time as not to waste any time.Now if my shop was in my back yard that would be a whole different story but since its not i rather work at home in the garage.
The guys who have it made are the ones that own body shops !!!!!
Tell me about body shops, they are really doing good, the ones that do insurance work will not take on any other jobs unless business gets slow but I don't think business is ever slow for them, now the other shop that does not do insurance work usually will give higher quotes unless they know you or are recommended by someone you know.

I have had 3 quotes to paint my truck and they range from $7500 to 10k and I think my truck is pretty straight from me priming and blocking the hell out of it. All I wanted was a single color and I have the paint.

Tri5
Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #34
tmoble

paint it yourself. do it a piece at a time or whatever you feel comfortable with. no need to get into some high stress do or die thing painting the whole truck. This is what I'm going to do, I can't afford to pay out all that money. I just plain don't have it.

Is your paint some kind of metallic or other tricky to shoot stuff?
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #35
fredscarryall

ya some body shops suck. but you do have to understand where they are coming from.im not sure what they quoted you,but they have to take the truck completely apart to make the paint look good.other wise you will get paint bridging.and if they paint the truck and God forbid you missed prepping a spot or there where some scratches or waves you may have not seen before. i know i have missed a couple on just the firewall of my suburban. the body shop is held liable. so they will add a charge to your paint bill for prep, even if you spent months block sanding. you need to make sure they sign something saying they will complete it by a certian date and they will only charge you this amount. no offense to the honest body shops but because of the economy there are alot more body shops that will screw you now adays. it seems if you are nice and tell them to work on it whenever they have time. i have seen cars sit in body shops for a year and the owner has to take it to another body shop because the first body shop never started it or they got to busi.also if you do take it to a body shop never and i mean never give them the full amount up front, no mater how honest they say they are. how does the old saying go(even a liar says he is honest).thats pretty harsh but true. give them 10 or 20 percent to start to cover materials. and pay them the rest upon completion. or pay them in stages after they complete a certain amount of hours and take a look at the truck a each stage,to make sure they did the work. other wise they have no prize to work for. just keep looking for a body shop and ask around. but if you have good or desent paint skills it would save you alot of money to rent a paint booth. buy your own paint and do it yourself. or try to find yourself a painter that will do it for a fair price to you. word to the wise dont try painting a car in a garage that is attached to the house. my wife got pretty mad. the house stunk for a week.$75 to 10 is pretty steep

Last edited by fredscarryall; 06-06-2011 at 01:45 AM.
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #36
89chevsj
error 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T2 View Post
Not sure how I fit into all this, as I am far from a professional, yet I have a 40x 70 foot shop that is bigger than some auto body shops, and I have just about every tool I need at hand. I had trouble finding a good picture of it, but I just extended my upstairs loft to hold more parts to get stuff out of the way on the main floor. Did I mention it has 22 foot ceilings?
show off...

89 Chevy swb 350 "SJ" DD turned parts truck. SOLD
90 Chevy ext cab loooongbed. "storm trooper" Rust In Peace.
06 Kia sorento wife's car
06 charger srt8 "lucifer" my toy
'12 Kia optima
89chevsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #37
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

I make my living as a UPS driver (25 years)......I grew up in my Dad's gas station, that's where my passion for cars came from.....I have a 20X30 detached garage with enough tools and equipment to complete any jobs I feel like getting into....My garage needs a serious cleaning, I'm afraid to throw anything away until I finish this current project, '50 Chevy 3100 on an S-10 chassis.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 AM   #38
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Frame off, in a two car garage. Barely owned any tools before the build. I'm a computer programmer and had very little experience with cars, outside of changing a tire or air filter.

It was a challenge
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #39
slugo10

I have been working on aircraft for last 15 years but have always like cars so I built a detached 24x32 garage with A/C and air lines in the walls, cable TV, stereo to work on my projects. Here is a pic from few years back working on my old honda.

slugo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #40
salvo

I'm a Construction Estimator/Manager, if I'm not working I'm usually in my 30x30 garage. With tools, I can fit two cars in it. But only enough room to work on one at a time.

76 FJ40 LandCruiser - 454, TH350, NP205, Ford 9"
98 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins
salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #41
1955 Eddie

Father (retired copier technician) and son (phone company guy) builders here. All of our work is done in a 2 car garage. We have picked up tools along the way and we never seem to have enough space. We have done all of the work ourselves with the sewing of the seats being the exception.

1955 Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #42
MrTucker

definitely no pro here...not much of a garage either...

MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #43
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Built mine in my 2 car garage! Definetly not a pro, but really enjoy doing it myself.
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #44
01spirit750

I built mine in a two car garage (20x20). I started mine while I was in college (working full time during the day and going to college in the afternoon and evenings) so I really only worked on it during the summers. Then right in the middle of the build we did a major house remodel so we rented a cargo container for the driveway and my truck went in the cargo container.
This is just a hobby for me, but I grew up around cars. My dad had some nice cars (54 corvette, 56 Nomad, 57 stepside big window, 31 Ford model A)

You can kinda see my garage from these pictures
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #45
Mike Bradbury

I built mine on my driveway and in my garage. I do have a hoist in my garage that I put in years ago, it makes it really easy to remove the body.

And we are currently building a '29 roadster pick up in my dads garage.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #46
Wheelie

I have built all my personal stuff in a garage it seems. I would love a personal shop like some of y'all but it hasn't happened yet! I wish I could say I did not do it for a living but corvette restoration seems to bring deep pocket customers. If I didn't I would have more time and motivation to finish my truck! (and sanity!)

Last edited by Wheelie; 06-07-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #47
bondobob

Tool maker, model maker, mechanical designer, during the day. I started my truck out of a 24 x 24 that I shared with the now ex-wife. Bought another house and added on 24 x 30 to the existing 24 x 24 and took out the dividing wall. All sheet rocked, insulated, and HEATED! Now I can go from the house right into the garage. I've done everything myself on my truck with help from my two sons except sand blasting. I've got most of the tools including a plasma cutter but no tig. I'm almost 63 so I figure I better do it right this time.
Attached Images

bondobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #48
Denee007

I'm excited to show my garage too! I spend a great deal of time in my "shop", however now I spend a great deal of time in my home fixing it up until a cool front comes through! lol I was showing how I put a wheel rack and having to use a ladder to get the tires onto it! I have two sets of wheels for my '67 Mustang!
dne'

Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #49
Kid

OK I'm in, all home grown here too. I tinker in my 30x36 shed behind the house. My paint booth has 2 doors & is attached to the house. I work in aircraft manufacturing by trade...
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #50
candyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
OK I'm in, all home grown here too. I tinker in my 30x36 shed behind the house. My paint booth has 2 doors & is attached to the house. I work in aircraft manufacturing by trade...
Nice collection and prefect shop for tinkering !!!
candyx is offline   Reply With Quote