The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #26
kcfirstbuild

Re: I want to give UP !!

I went back to the scene of the crime tonight and started to take some things off the block. So i can get it over to the guy I know that has the machine shop. He has been very helpful. He thinks all I should need is an oil pan, pump, and rod. Until he has a look at it. He has seen were it broke that rear cap before.

I know its over kill to put it on an engine dyno but I would like to know that I wont have a problems when I go to start it up for the first time. Do you all really think i need a new crank ? It fell and flattened out the oil pan and stayed there.

I think i'm over the quitting Part NOW I just want it back together.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
kcfirstbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #27
gearheads78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfirstbuild View Post
. Do you all really think i need a new crank ? \
It could. Some gaskets and sealer it will be cheap to find out. I would look very cafefully for any impact to the crank. To be 100% safe pull it and have it magnafluxed.

When this is all over its just part or the story to tell. Look over at the mistakes thread. It might cheer you up to see the rest of use all make bone headed moves from time to time. If this was easy anyone could do it.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #28
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

A dyno will probably tell you nothing. I'm almost 100% certain that if the crank is cracked. You will find out on the dyno... and it will be catastrophic. The you will be out a few rods, pistons, and probably a block. If the rear main cap (thrust cap) is busted... the block will be junk, unless you can find another thrust cap that lines up almost perfectly and then have it line honed.

Personally... I would have the pan off and the crank already out of it. Take the crank, block, caps, and rods to a machine shop, and have them checked individually. Not just eyeballed. Nothin' against your buddy... but if he is a machinist... he should know those parts need to be checked over.

Tust me... a little more time, a little more cash to have stuff checked out, and you'll be ahead of the game. It's waaaayyy better to be positively sure, than to hope things work out. Hope and engine rebuilds can be very very very expensive.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:10 AM   #29
litew8