The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Drewbee

Duramax question

Ok guys I hope I am posting this in the correct location, but if not let me know I'll move it to where it needs to be. Please don't flame me, but I am trying to gather a lot of information and research for a possible project. I have a 72 4x4 that I would like to put in a duramax, but there are just somethings i can't figure out.

I know the best way to approach it will be to buy a wrecked duramax and yank what I need out, but there are a few problems still.

I know new motor mounts and I probably will beef up the frame a lil. But the things that I just cant figure out are:

1. Solid axle conversion - without buying the 17k conversion kit!!! (preferably a dana 60)

2. The Allison's transfer case is drivers side drop. I know Ford dana 60's could possibly work, but I'd also like to be able to use my original 8 lug steelies to keep the original look.

I can't think of anymore at the moment, but i am SURE there will be other questions.

Please any info on what it would take to do the swap please let me know. I don't plan to do this overnight, nor in a year or two. I realize this is a long road, but I have plenty of time and ability with the right information. Plus, its my dream truck!

Thanks, Drew
Drewbee is offline   Reply With Quote