The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Outlaw26

Re: 56 chevy

Thanks Kim, sry if i confused any one, I never removered that metal yet. I still need to finish welding up the fire wall then moveing on to that. I have to do some figuring first, it might not gain that much room because of the wiper linkage. Im considering doing away with the window wipers anyway, I have no intentions on pulling it out the garage it the weathers questionable. But stuff happens, I had a model A with a big block before and never ran wipers, just rain ex the snot out of it and it was fine. Got caught in showers a few times with no problems. Heres the only pic i have left of my model A, was a real fun car, ran 11.90s in the quarter mile all day spinning trough first gear with the a/c blasting, drove it everywhere, miss it alot. Lost it in hurrican Katrina.
Attached Images

Outlaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw26 View Post
Thanks Kim, sry if i confused any one, I never removered that metal yet. I still need to finish welding up the fire wall then moveing on to that. I have to do some figuring first, it might not gain that much room because of the wiper linkage. Im considering doing away with the window wipers anyway, I have no intentions on pulling it out the garage it the weathers questionable. But stuff happens, I had a model A with a big block before and never ran wipers, just rain ex the snot out of it and it was fine. Got caught in showers a few times with no problems. Heres the only pic i have left of my model A, was a real fun car, ran 11.90s in the quarter mile all day spinning trough first gear with the a/c blasting, drove it everywhere, miss it alot. Lost it in hurrican Katrina.
Love that A coupe, in the back of my mind I've always wanted one. I'm sorry to hear that it was one of the flood victims. Makes me wonder just how many nice old vehicles actually got destroyed. I was working at a Ferrari parts shop when it happened and we bought two ferrari's that had been submerged in Katrina floods.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Chevette

Lookin' good. BTW that looks like satin coat (galv) sheet metal you're using on the firewall. If it is, be very careful when welding it. Make sure you buff the galv off it (both sides) as the welding fumes are poisonous. I know this because I ended up in hospital one night as a result. It wasn't a whole lot of fun. If it's not galv. then disregard this **** I wrote.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Outlaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
Lookin' good. BTW that looks like satin coat (galv) sheet metal you're using on the firewall. If it is, be very careful when welding it. Make sure you buff the galv off it (both sides) as the welding fumes are poisonous. I know this because I ended up in hospital one night as a result. It wasn't a whole lot of fun. If it's not galv. then disregard this **** I wrote.
Thanks Chevette, it not galv, its regular steel, just a lil dirty, if u look close there was a peice of expanded metal sitting on top of it and has a surface rust pattern of it.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Outlaw26

Quote:
I just looked at ur build, ur trucks incredable. Im imbarrased of mine now.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw26 View Post
I just looked at ur build, ur trucks incredable. Im imbarrased of mine now.
Don't be silly. Your truck is awesome! And better yet, it looks to me like you'll be finished way before me. Your looks like it will be on the road in a few months. I'm just hoping to get mine done before I'm too old to drive anymore.
Keep the updates (and pics) coming, it's an impressive build.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Outlaw26

Quote:
Don't be silly. Your truck is awesome! And better yet, it looks to me like you'll be finished way before me. Your looks like it will be on the road in a few months. I'm just hoping to get mine done before I'm too old to drive anymore.
Keep the updates (and pics) coming, it's an impressive build.
Its gonna be more than a few months, I only have time to work on it during the weekends and with the weather warming up we spend most of the weekends boating. So the build is gonna slow down, which is ok im in no hurry and it give me time to save more $$$$$ to throw at it. I want it a certain way and dont care how long it takes me to get it there.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
Daze57

outlaw26
you
couldnt....salvage...anything...off...it?
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
Outlaw26

i kept the scoop and vavle covers, just had them and the intake chromed by advanved plating, where on the car about three weeks before the storm hit. I sat completly submerged in salt water for about 2 weeks. even the scoop and vavle covers i kept started piting. I just kept them for the memory. It was well insured and they wanted 15k to buy it back. wasnt woth it to me, it would be cheaper to start fresh.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
Kim57

Those are looking good.
Kim
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
dicer

This is the correct way to modify a frame. Thank you and good work. Do you have any pics of the bare frame?
Whats the thickness of the material and also height and width of the rails?

Last edited by dicer; 05-14-2013 at 06:27 AM.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Outlaw26

These are the only pics i have right now, when i finish mocking up the rear end I will pull the bed and cab off and take some more the cross member in the very front was just a temp one till the front end was burned in.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
956LOUIE

Looks awesome !!!! Do you already know what the measurement of the rear axle will be from flange to flange ???
Posted via Mobile Device
956LOUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
izonme13

Any updates.......need more pics!!
izonme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
Outlaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by izonme13 View Post
Any updates.......need more pics!!
Sorry but no, havent been doing much, Been busy with the boat and jeep. Gonna get back on it soon.......
Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Outlaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 956LOUIE View Post
Looks awesome !!!! Do you already know what the measurement of the rear axle will be from flange to flange ???
Posted via Mobile Device
I just have to pull the tape across, I built an adjustable jig that bolts to the wheels and telescopes in and out till the wheels are exactly where they need to be, then just measure.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
Outlaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 956LOUIE View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I finally got back to tinkering with the truck, pulled the tape and flange to flange is 47". Ording a new 9 inch housing from Strange tom moring, along with chromoly 4 link.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
Outlaw26

Thankss guys, The frame is 2x6 3/16 tubing. I make a cardboard template of the front of the original frame and traced it on the new tubing. Then cut it with the plasma and filled it with new swteel to keep the original shape. I wanted a clean and smooth frame, i started to clean and smooth the original one but quickly realized this way was better and faster, and the material was less than 200 bucks. I made the rear nocthes out of
2x4 1/4 tubing. i made it as tall as i could fit inside the wheel tubs, i was still undecided on wheels and ride hight at that point.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
Outlaw26

I had a minor set back this past week, opened my shop to find all the new sheet metal and frame rails and front end componets covered in surface rust. And my rear wheels oxidized to the point I cant polish them out. Beat my head on the wall for and hour trying to figure what caused it. My shop is insulated and climent controled so i dont think it was humidity. Later i found a bottle of muriatic acid had leaked out on the table. They thing with in 25 feet of the spill is rusted. was pretty discusted but it all needs to be media blasted any way so guess its not too bad. Ecept the wheels, if i cant find someone to ploish them out might get them chromed.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
Outlaw26

Well no turning back now.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
Outlaw26

Painted the frontend species, and a small price of the frame to c if I'm a like the color. The frame isn't done yet the paints coming back off to dress it up later.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #22
Kim57

That color looks pretty good.
Maybe paint the frame in a contrasting color.
Kim
Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #23
Outlaw26

Yeah it a lot of green, maybe motor and other accessories will break it up. Kim u right might have to paint frame different color. I'm a leave that spot for now and keep mocking u. I love the color got it off my new jeep.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #24
_Ogre

my eyes are bleeding, you should have posted PUT SUNGLASSES ON NOW
nice color, we like bright, shiny things

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #25
Outlaw26

Thanks Ogre, its definately bright, i won't be sneaking around anywhere in it.