The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #26
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Angry Re: local auto parts store not stocking our parts ?? never thought Id see the day

You can thank all these garbage cars they make today and the people that continually buy them. It's their parts that are now sitting on the shelves where the good ones used to be.

Hasn't been a decent car made since the 70's.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #27
SCHRUMGMC

Re: local auto parts store not stocking our parts ?? never thought Id see the day

Seems like to be cars got real ugly in the late 70's, 80's and 90's
Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #28
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Re: local auto parts store not stocking our parts ?? never thought Id see the day

The oil filter I needed was the old ac 141 its a cartridge filter fits all small block chevy's from 1955 to 1967 it looks like an air filter and fit's down inside the oil filter canister and bolt's to the block with a big long bolt up thru the center of it , my whole life I have been able to walk in any of my local auto parts stores and buy that filter from a large box of e'm ! I ordered it and went and picked it up needed to change the oil on my camaro im riding it to pigeon forge in the morning the kid that argued with me that no such filter existed was there again I showed it to him he said he had never seen an oil filter that looked like that !
Posted via Mobile Device
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #29
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs409 View Post
You can thank all these garbage cars they make today and the people that continually buy them. It's their parts that are now sitting on the shelves where the good ones used to be.

74' to be exact !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #30
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
The oil filter I needed was the old ac 141 its a cartridge filter fits all small block chevy's from 1955 to 1967 it looks like an air filter and fit's down inside the oil filter canister and bolt's to the block with a big long bolt up thru the center of it , my whole life I have been able to walk in any of my local auto parts stores and buy that filter from a large box of e'm ! I ordered it and went and picked it up needed to change the oil on my camaro im riding it to pigeon forge in the morning the kid that argued with me that no such filter existed was there again I showed it to him he said he had never seen an oil filter that looked like that !
Posted via Mobile Device
That is most likely due to the fact that the parts store he works at quit stocking that cartridge filter 22 years before he was born. It is the same with points. I know that I am also still a fan of the old point style ignition systems but if you wonder why everyone is converting to HEI, it is for the same reason.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #31
72bowtiestepper

I picked up a pair of motor mounts for my 72 C-10 w/350 last week at the local NAPA. They were in stock, on the shelf in dusty old boxes....kind of surprised me for sure. Oil filters are never a problem around here.....everyone has them for old & new chevys.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #32
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs409 View Post

I'll agree with that statement any day of the week !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #33
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

It also helps if the guy working the counter has these old trucks...
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #34
Zane M

Quote:
well guys it looks like the day has come that the local auto parts stores don't stock parts for our cars and trucks anymore I went to get an oil filter for my Camaro and stopped at every auto parts in town they did not even know what I was talking about ??? an oil filter ???? ended up had to order it , I heard the one counter person telling his supervisor that I did not know what I was talking about LOL shewww never thought id see it ,,, kinda sad ,,,,
Its hit and miss on some things like round head lights and points style ignition parts, but I have to say the counter help at your parts stores in town are idiots. I guarantee they had a filter for a SBC. They are just too stupid to look it up.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane M View Post
Its hit and miss on some things like round head lights and points style ignition parts, but I have to say the counter help at your parts stores in town are idiots. I guarantee they had a filter for a SBC. They are just too stupid to look it up.
I'm sure they had a spin on filter. He needed the earlier style which have been hard to find for a while now at most places.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #36
cdowns

i have a 5year old HHR and they had to order brake pads when i did my brakes// that is just the way it is today// i think lots of guys just like to ***** about things and by berating counterhelp tends to somehow fullfill thier ego's and self worth
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #37
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Yup, it's hard to get anything over the counter anymore, but I don't think it's just for classics, I think it's on purpose. Why carry $$$ in inventory when the UPS truck delivers a few times a day? "They" (the chain stores) sometimes don't even have what I need for my newer stuff, "but it will be here at 8 am tomorrow morning!" is the common response.

I replaced every common wear engine component on my 65 289 down to the timing chain and the ONLY thing anyone had in stock (including napa) was the gaskets, but even a couple didn't have those. But every one of them could have them to me the next morning.

Again, the classics suffer a lot more than the newer cars, but I think it's on purpose.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #38
calvin78612

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i have a 5year old HHR and they had to order brake pads when i did my brakes// that is just the way it is today// i think lots of guys just like to ***** about things and by berating counterhelp tends to somehow fullfill thier ego's and self worth
Bummer !
Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #39
Eddie H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
If youre here inLeander again, go to the Parts Connection on hwy 183. They also have a store in Cedar Park. You wont have that problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
We went to that store on 183 and got some other parts. They seem to be pretty good.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #40
Eddie H.

I usually go to a small local owned parts store in Springtown, about 8 miles from where I live. If they don't have what I need, at least, they know what I'm talking about. A few days ago I went in to see if they could order a rebuild kit for an old Quadrajet I had laying around. They just pulled one off the shelf and handed it to me. Most of the people working at the chain stores nowdays have never even seen a carburetor.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #41
54blackhornet

I am lucky too, In remote Eastern Oregon people still use these trucks as intended. The local NAPA stocks almost anything you could imagine ? But the last time I went in for a set of points and condenser for a 350 they wanted $37.00 ! I looked at the owner of the store and said you must be kidding ? Wanting to put in an HEI anyway I told him I would pass.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #42
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Talking Re: local auto parts store not stocking our parts ?? never thought Id see the day

I went in another auto parts and got A good laugh a while back the person working the counter was a young girl she asked if she could help me and I said YES I NEED A RAG JOINT FOR A 1967 C10 ,,, she laughed and asked me who put me up to this ??? I told her again ,,,, she said their was no such thing ,,, someone had her look for a radiator for a 1968 VW beetle a few days before LOL so I asked her if the computer would do a search ? she said yes it would ! I said OK TYPE IN RAG JOINT ! she typed it in and it came up !
Old 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #43
Eddie H.

Quote:
I went in another auto parts and got A good laugh a while back the person working the counter was a young girl she asked if she could help me and I said YES I NEED A RAG JOINT FOR A 1967 C10 ,,, she laughed and asked me who put me up to this ??? I told her again ,,,, she said their was no such thing ,,, someone had her look for a radiator for a 1968 VW beetle a few days before LOL so I asked her if the computer would do a search ? she said yes it would ! I said OK TYPE IN RAG JOINT ! she typed it in and it came up !
When I worked in dealerships, we always had fun with the new green parts guys. I had one spend a couple of hours calling all over town trying to order some R17 refrigerant, and a set of pistons for a Mazda RX7 rotary engine.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #44
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Ive got a set of those pistons ,,,,but the rings are on back order ,,,

Last edited by 19673ontree; 09-11-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #45
sxtrail2

Lightbulb Re: local auto parts store not stocking our parts ?? never thought Id see the day

Quote:
well guys it looks like the day has come that the local auto parts stores don't stock parts for our cars and trucks anymore I went to get an oil filter for my Camaro and stopped at every auto parts in town they did not even know what I was talking about ??? an oil filter ???? ended up had to order it , I heard the one counter person telling his supervisor that I did not know what I was talking about LOL shewww never thought id see it ,,, kinda sad ,,,,
its true some people were born with out a brain....
sxtrail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #46
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Not many people know that old bugs were air cooled. I know car guys that don't know that. Can't know everything about everything...
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #47
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Not many people know that old bugs were air cooled. I know car guys that don't know that. Can't know everything about everything...
Man, aint that the truth. The young guys that come in my parts store are computer, electronics wizards. i do not belittle them for not knowing old cars and they never talk down to me on the stuff they are familiar with. Everyone knows more than someone else does about something.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #48
sjarrett71

With umpteen hundreds of car models on the road since the inception of the automobile, it would be nearly impossible to stock every part for every one of them in one store. I work for a parts store part time and sometimes I scratch my head about some of the stuff we do not carry but then again, I do the same thing about some of the stuff we do carry.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #49
boynton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
With umpteen hundreds of car models on the road since the inception of the automobile, it would be nearly impossible to stock every part for every one of them in one store. I work for a parts store part time and sometimes I scratch my head about some of the stuff we do not carry but then again, I do the same thing about some of the stuff we do carry.
Haha yes. At the end of the day I am just glad we can still get stuff for our trucls some how...
Posted via Mobile Device
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #50
NC_John

I had the guy at the local GM dealership in a panic when I told him I needed exhaust manifold bolts for my '70. "I can't get anything that old." Ok sport- relax. I told him the bolts were the same on most of the small blocks and to look back as far as he could (was in the 80's). Sure enough, the first one he pulled was the same as what I was looking for.

I hate when you have to tell those guys how to do their job. Just like a lot of mechanics. If its not in the computer or not just a basic remove and replace, a lot of them these days are just lost. No more troubleshooting skills....

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote