The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #26
Bryantcm

Re: Not Happy with 4.5/7 RQ, should I bag it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Same springs but use the adapter brackets on the install to make up the difference in height (they also make installation easier since no holes need to be drilled).
Ahhh, I see. I thought that might be the case. Any brackets better than others? They all seem to be pretty much the same between BC Fab, Pro Perform and Porterbuilt.
Bryantcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #27
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryantcm View Post
Ahhh, I see. I thought that might be the case. Any brackets better than others? They all seem to be pretty much the same between BC Fab, Pro Perform and Porterbuilt.
Prob not but I've made mine in the past so I have no experience w/the aftermarket. I would research the heights of each one you listed & see if one particular version is the best dimension for the total combined height you'll need for your application.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #28
knomadd

Lots of good advice from the guys who have posted before. I've done this swap myself. I went from a 5" spring to a 3" spring and 2" block, which helped, but I wanted more out of the ride quality. I ended up doing a bag swap on all 4 corners, with schrader valves. I used the bag cups that Scoti had circled in the picture on the previous page too.

The one thing I want to tell you is the ride quality will not be the same as a stock height vehicle. Unless you do a lot of modifications like the guys do that race these trucks, you won't have a fantastic ride quality, but it will be an improvement over what you have now. Just make sure you're not hitting the bump stops, or the rear end and bed floor don't contact and you shouldn't have such a harsh ride.

As for buying the parts, try the vendors on the forum. There are a lot of them on here that can help you get what you want. I bought all my stuff from Travis (ProPerformance) on here. I too already had the shock relocators and drop shocks. He was very helpful and got me everything I needed to make my system work. Send him a PM and tell him what you're looking for.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #29
Bryantcm

All the parts are ordered, RE-6 bags, PB brackets and Schrader fill kit. So hopefully it works out to be what I'm looking for. I really like the idea of being able to add air to the back for those trips to Home Depot on the weekends
Old 04-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #30
SCOTI

Quote:
All the parts are ordered, RE-6 bags, PB brackets and Schrader fill kit. So hopefully it works out to be what I'm looking for. I really like the idea of being able to add air to the back for those trips to Home Depot on the weekends
As it should be when you own a truck. A set-up like you purchased works well enough to pull a loaded 18ft car hauler w/another swb truck on it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #31
Bryantcm

So I had the opportunity to get a good look underneath the truck today while it was up on a lift and found a couple issues that could be contributing to my problems:

1: the driver side exhaust is loose and hitting the axle and there is only about 3" of clearance between axle and exhaust.

Do most people who are lowered dump the exhaust in front of the wheel?

2: the driveshaft is definitely hitting the crossmember. There are score marks on the drive shaft.

Is this a common issue? I'm dropped 7" in the rear. I know a 4/6 drop is more common. Would raising the height that one inch really make the difference or am I just going to have to pony up and install a new rear cross member?
Old 04-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #32
SCOTI

Quote:
So I had the opportunity to get a good look underneath the truck today while it was up on a lift and found a couple issues that could be contributing to my problems:

1: the driver side exhaust is loose and hitting the axle and there is only about 3" of clearance between axle and exhaust.

Do most people who are lowered dump the exhaust in front of the wheel?

2: the driveshaft is definitely hitting the crossmember. There are score marks on the drive shaft.

Is this a common issue? I'm dropped 7" in the rear. I know a 4/6 drop is more common. Would raising the height that one inch really make the difference or am I just going to have to pony up and install a new rear cross member?
What type of lift (suspension extended or ramps style so full vehicle weight on the wheels)? 3" clearance should be adequate for 90% of driving. I could see contact being made if hitting a big bump/dip on the highway @ 70mph because of the fast lift & sudden amplified compression but not just driving around on common inner city roads @ <40mph. I know a lot of guys do just dump the exhaust because it's too complicated to get it back over the rear end out to the bumper. I'm actually in the middle of running the exhaust on my dually & have a new found respect for those that do clean, appealing, functional full exhausts on really low vehicles LoL.... That's why I'm doing my own.

What size OD is the shaft? It's possible you could simply switch to a smaller diameter w/thicker materials & maintain strength. Or, if that's all relatively new, you could trim the lip of the opening & gain about .500-.750" additional clearance (or modify/raise it to be sure).

As far as 5/7 drops.... many will say they're no prob but my experience is the additional drop comes w/sacrifice. It starts getting expensive (or you must start getting creative & fabbing things) to keep it that low, drive it daily, & not experience contact related issues. Raising bed floors, front a-arm pivot points, inner wheel wells, taller rails or step notches; tucking/dumping exhaust pipes..... any combo might be needed for no compromise driving. Raising it up that 1" helps & is much less hassle. Gotta choose your priority (really low or mild drop; living w/an occasional bump or zero tolerance; etc...).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #33
Bryantcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
What type of lift (suspension extended or ramps style so full vehicle weight on the wheels)? 3" clearance should be adequate for 90% of driving. I could see contact being made if hitting a big bump/dip on the highway @ 70mph because of the fast lift & sudden amplified compression but not just driving around on common inner city roads @ <40mph. I know a lot of guys do just dump the exhaust because it's too complicated to get it back over the rear end out to the bumper. I'm actually in the middle of running the exhaust on my dually & have a new found respect for those that do clean, appealing, functional full exhausts on really low vehicles LoL.... That's why I'm doing my own.

What size OD is the shaft? It's possible you could simply switch to a smaller diameter w/thicker materials & maintain strength. Or, if that's all relatively new, you could trim the lip of the opening & gain about .500-.750" additional clearance (or modify/raise it to be sure).

As far as 5/7 drops.... many will say they're no prob but my experience is the additional drop comes w/sacrifice. It starts getting expensive (or you must start getting creative & fabbing things) to keep it that low, drive it daily, & not experience contact related issues. Raising bed floors, front a-arm pivot points, inner wheel wells, taller rails or step notches; tucking/dumping exhaust pipes..... any combo might be needed for no compromise driving. Raising it up that 1" helps & is much less hassle. Gotta choose your priority (really low or mild drop; living w/an occasional bump or zero tolerance; etc...).

It was a ramp style lift so full weight on the suspension. I think once I have the rear air bags installed I will be able to experiment with the ride height and find the best compromise between looks, safe clearances and ride. An occassional bottom out on the rare occassion doesnt bother me, I just dont want to tear anything up just for the sake of looks.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #34
SCOTI

Quote:
It was a ramp style lift so full weight on the suspension. I think once I have the rear air bags installed I will be able to experiment with the ride height and find the best compromise between looks, safe clearances and ride. An occassional bottom out on the rare occassion doesnt bother me, I just dont want to tear anything up just for the sake of looks.
That amount should be sufficient w/full weight on the suspension. And you're right as you can dial things in w/bags for more/less clearance if necessary.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG