The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #26
macdodd

Re: Blowing dash and tail light fuses

Ok,,,,here we go,,,LOL,,,I disconnected the rear light harness. Fuse held,,,dashlight and all,,then I bounced the front of the truck,,,poooof,,,,blew it. Hummm,,,, so I'll jack up the front and see where the line goes into the cab area and on into the plug,,,weird,,,. Anyone know where it plugs into after coming into the cab area,,,block on the firewall maybe?
macdodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #27
Jurassic-1

The plug is round and located to the right of the gas pedal and it attaches to the under dash harness.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #28
macdodd

Ok,,,,hummmm,,,,well,,,I'm stumped,,,.when I move the front of the truck up and down,,pooof,,,,blow a fuse. I'm trying to figure out where any wires would be close to the suspension to rub? But thats where I'm at,,,,and I'm out of fuses,,,,LOL. I can still drive it during the day,,,as long as I don't pull out the headlight switch. Any suggestions? Oh and yea,,,I even pulled the wires to the parking lights,,,,next I'll pull the parking, and the tailights and see if the dash lights stay on. I'm wondering if wherever the line that lays in the frame comes into the cab area, that might be the problem,,if the cab shifts on the frame,,,doesn't take much,,,
Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #29
macdodd

Thanks,,,,I'll look for it there,,,,I'm stumped,,,,whenever I move the front of the truck up/down,,,,you can watch the tailights flicker and then, if I keep doing it,,,pooof,,,it blows the fuse, just trying to figure out if any wires come close to the suspension ,,,,but now if that line comes over toward the center of the truck and in,,,it problem might be in that area. I went under the truck and check the line from the back to the front along the frame,,,but didn't go up to where you say it goes over and in the cab,,,I'll try that tomorrow. Doesn't matter whether or not the rear harness is plugged/unplugged,,,,it still blows the fuse when you rock the truck,,,,,thanks for your help,,,,luckily I can drive it during the daylight hours,,,as long as I don't pull out the headlight switch,,,LOL,,,,I'll be back at it tomorrow,,,,
Old 06-23-2015, 12:55 AM   #30
Jurassic-1

Under the hood it is slightly towards the passenger side just left of the distributer facing the engine. It is a round plug with a flat 4 wire harness. It is unplugged inside the truck. It possibly could have a burned spot if it is near the exhaust as it crosses from the center to the frame.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #31
Chevymaster461

Do you have camper plug in on bed side or trailer light plugs..
I had a camper plug and it was old and when it had power to it , lights on , turn signals on, brakes hit or just a ruff bump it corroded in the rubber an would short all the time ... Was fun finding that problem I removed the camper plug an walla it never did it again ... Hope this can be of help an your problem solver
Chevymaster461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #32
macdodd

Nope,,,don't have a trailer hitch/lights,,nor do I have any camper wire harness. Thanks for your input ,,,Bill