The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #26
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: I waited

Sorry for all the questions but I need to know if I need special fittings for the hoses. The solenoids have the 3/8" hose nut but the ferrell's are all gone. Can I use regular brass are do I need a special kind.

Where is a good place to buy them? I have a local place that has the push connections but I don't know if they are DOT approved.
I was thinking to swap them all out for the push in types.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:51 AM   #27
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: I waited

This is why you do some research before jumping into air ride.
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #28
Andy4639
Old member

Unhappy Re: I waited

It's nice to know I can not count on guy's of this board in this section. I have been helping people for over 30 years on here. I never told anyone that they should do it on there own. I have always tried to help them on whatever they where doing no matter what. The fact is I did buy this stuff and I am going to try and make it work before I just throw it away because of somebodies opinion of it. Which in my opinion is even worse.
I have answered more than one question several times over the years for ones who wouldn't are didn't even want to look. The board is to get help form the guy's that know about stuff others don't. That is why this board is where it is today because we helped others when they needed it weather we agreed are not with them. This isn't about what you want are what you would do. It's about the question I asked for help on.
To the ones who did answer my questions, I thank you.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #29
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I would switch them out with DOT push to connect fittings.
I bought some at my local Fastenal store, but they had to order them in.

As far as the board goes,... I've been trying to help people since I joined 14 years ago.

IF you want the truth about your air ride,... here it is:
No matter what kit you put on,.... your ride height is going to be HIGHER than what you have now.
You have to run the correct amount of air in your bags to make them perform correctly.
You need drop spindles and 2" lowering blocks, just to keep the ride height low.
You can help that a little by removing the top "hat" off the rear bags and bolting them directly to the frame. But that requires drilling a large air fitting hole in the frame rail.
Remember when shawno72 put bags on his white '68?
He hated the "ride height" because it was higher than his static drop.
For the price of all the PTC fittings you need,... you could buy a new manual valve set-up.

JUST trying to help.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 01-31-2016 at 12:05 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #30
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...559520&page=36
Post 878
From shawno72's thread:
Quote:
Ok guys, I took the truck for a longer drive at highway speeds and all I have to say is the ride SUCKS!! Is this common with air bags or is more like my air pressure in the rear bags is to low (25psi)? With the coil springs this rode like a dream. I may have to lose the bag hats and mount directly to the frame?

The rear needs 40-50psi in a 2600 air bag to ride decent.
80-100psi up front.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #31
71swb4x4

I am heading out right now so I can't search for supporting documentation. But, while some may not conveying their message correctly, they are trying to help you. MANY others have been frustrated by the quality of this company's parts. Compound this with the fact that the suspension is a piece of the vehicle that is safety related, and you have many concerns being throw out there.
A quick google search on their names (why does a company need to change their name once, let alone several times???) and "review" after it and you will find countless complaints on all sorts of automotive forums.
You are a long-term member who has given a lot of help, diving into something that is new to you. People are concerned when they see you starting out with the wrong parts. Posts pointing out this companies inferior quality of the parts are not necessarily unhelpful posts, and certainly don't take them personally.
If you feel that you have a good batch of parts, then move forward.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:53 PM   #32
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: I waited

Guy's I understand that their parts may not be as good as other's. That being said I can buy new fittings and my goal is to buy the E level later when funds allow. But right now I just can't afford it.

I can work with bad fittings, what I need is info like just posted by lolife99 . That even if I install it the ride will suck because it's higher and not able to run the correct air pressure. That is something that I can't fix. Even though I don't understand how it will be higher after installed.
The bags are about 4" shorter than the stock front coils I have just sitting on the ground. Yes I have shorter ones installed but these are stock. I'm just trying to understand all this.
The bags have both lower cups and upper mounting plates already on them.

Is there a good thread that does a step by step of install on a truck without going through 1000,000 posts.
I just want a basic setup.
Oh I tested the coils and wiring. So far everything works as it should. I did find both bulbs not working in the gauges and the 2 rear bag fittings are leaking so I removed them and need new ones. They where leaking around the blue ring. Any suggestions on where to buy fittings like this? I have several local places that sell the push in fittings but I'm not sure if they will have this one with the 3/4" end on it.

The front bags I had pressure on them and putting my hand on them pushing them down no leaks, the back 2 leaked even without hand pressure on them. I guess the fronts will be ok. I may go ahead and get all four new ones for insurance.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 01-31-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #33
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

This is a good thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=575686
Member way2lo2 is also a good source for bags,fittings and any air ride parts

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #34
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Look at the bag specs,....
http://www.slamspecialties.com/air_springs/RE-7.pdf
2.9" collapsed
6.25" uninflated
11" max height
Put some air to your bags and see how tall they get.
I believe the Chassis tech bags are copies of Firestone bags, so max height might only be around 8".

Sure they are shorter than your springs,... but they do not go up into the spring pocket. They stop at the top bag plate mounting point.
They also have a bracket or cup on the bottom.

For a quality reliable air system you need good quality fittings valves that won't leak.
I used Parker brass fittings,... but plastic PTC fittings will work as long as you use DOT fittings.
The 3/4" fittinhg you described is really 1/2"NPT.
If you can't find a fitting with 1/2" NPT use a 3/8" NPT with a bushing to raise it to 1/2" NPT.
I also use Loctite 545 on the threaded connections. Its expensive, but it won't leak like teflon tape.
Make sure the threaded connections are completely clean and let the Loctite 545 cure for 24 hours.

Good brands of bags are Firestone, Slam Specialties, or AirLift.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 01-31-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #35
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: I waited

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Look at the bag specs,....
http://www.slamspecialties.com/air_springs/RE-7.pdf
2.9" collapsed
6.25" uninflated
11" max height
Put some air to your bags and see how tall they get.
I believe the Chassis tech bags are copies of Firestone bags, so max height might only be around 8".

Sure they are shorter than your springs,... but they do not go up into the spring pocket. They stop at the top bag plate mounting point.
They also have a bracket or cup on the bottom.

For a quality reliable air system you need good quality fittings valves that won't leak.
I used Parker brass fittings,... but plastic PTC fittings will work as long as you use DOT fittings.
The 3/4" fittinhg you described is really 1/2"NPT.
If you can find a fitting with 1/2" NPT use a 3/8" NPT with a bushing to raise it to 1/2" NPT.
I also use Loctite 545 on the threaded connections. Its expensive, but it won't leak like teflon tape.
Make sure the threaded connections are completely clean and let the Loctite 545 cure for 24 hours.

Good brands of bags are Firestone, Slam Specialties, or AirLift.
Yea I was thinking to just use bushings to get it down to the correct size but then I have to worry about clearence on top of the bag staying inside the cup.
This is what I'm using. Loctite 5772. This is what we use at work and it never leaks.
I got some reading to do now. Thanks.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #36
Custom 68

Andy the push in fittings require the airline to be cut straight and square or they will leak. The fittings are probably ok they just need the airline cut a little better. We run into that at work sometimes.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #37
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
Andy the push in fittings require the airline to be cut straight and square or they will leak. The fittings are probably ok they just need the airline cut a little better. We run into that at work sometimes.
Yes I have the line cutters!
I checked them on several small pieces and they hold fine but with hand pressure they would blow bubbles out around the blur plastic on both fittings. I'm going looking at a couple of truck stops tomorrow and see if they have them if not I will order them.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #38
HafTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I'm not worried about the ones saying it's not worth it. I'm not going for laying frame, that's not my goal. Just as I'm not going to put 2" lowered spindles on it yet. I may later but for now I want it to ride good and be able to lower it some at shows when I go.

I have built my truck for me not anybody else. I appreciate every ones opinions on the parts and they maybe right, but I'm going forward on this project. I have to decide if I'm going to mount all of it in the bed up by the cab are under the truck out back.

Ram-Man,
thanks for the wiring diagram that's what I had looked for but never found it.

Now for my next question. Would there be anything wrong with mocking the system up and trying it before installing it?
As for where to you mount all of it. I done both and a fan of under the bed. Are you going to run 1 battery or 2? Also, where is your gas tank currently located?
HafTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #39
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: I waited

HafTon,
Gas tank is under the bed cover up against the front of the bed. No spare under the back so I may put everything back there and make a plate that is hinged with everything mounted to it that I can secure and help keep all the road debri off of it. As of now just one battery but if I need to I can add another one.

Just for info:

I will not be using the bags that much. I will set traveling height and leave it alone except when I go to a show. For the most part it will never be lowered just while driving it.
But as we all know that will change I'm sure.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #40
PGSigns

Look to see if there is a parker store near you. They carry DOT fittings and lines. Here is a link to the parker website so you can look at the types of DOT fitting and get up to speed on the styles. http://ph.parker.com/us/17054/en/tra...e-fittings-fsc
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #41
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Look to see if there is a parker store near you. They carry DOT fittings and lines. Here is a link to the parker website so you can look at the types of DOT fitting and get up to speed on the styles. http://ph.parker.com/us/17054/en/tra...e-fittings-fsc
Jimmy
Thanks!
Fixing to ride over to Greenville SC to the big peter built truck shop on I-85 and see what they have to offer also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #42
Andy4639
Old member

I went shopping today for DOT approved fittings.
1 stop was Fastenel they didn't have anything I needed in stock except for the 1/4" hose but it wasn't DOT. $40.00 for 100' of it roll. They could order all the fittings but the guy said they weren't DOT fittings. The 1/2" by 3/8" elbows where $48.00 for 2 of them. I left without buying any of it. Glad I did.

2 stop was a place in Greenville SC off White horse road called Chistopher trucks. The parts guy was very nice and knew what I wanted. I got 4 3/8 unions, 2 3/8 NPT x3/8 push in straight for the tank. 2 1/4" unions and he only had one 1/2"NPT to 3/8" push but said he would have more tomorrow after 1PM. I also got 40' of the 1/4" DOT brake hose. All the fittings are brake line stuff also for $50.00 total. Another $3.00 tomorrow and I'll have enough fittings to do the whole system with push in fittings.

I went to a 3 place just to see what their prices where. All his stuff was DOT brass. They didn't have any plastic stuff at all. He wanted $15.00 each for the 1/2" NPT 3/8" brass swivel elbows! The 3/8" NPT 3/8" straight fitting where $6.50 each.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #43
Custom 68

good find. Are you going to start on this and do it before the Power Tour? I guess you will do front and rear at the same time?
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 02-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #44
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
good find. Are you going to start on this and do it before the Power Tour? I guess you will do front and rear at the same time?

Yes I hope to have it installed by then. I got 1 more fitting to get and some ferrells for the solenoids fittings. I guess he threw them away with the old hose when he pulled them a part. I forgot to get them today so I'll pick them up tomorrow when I go get the other elbow.
Dave you plan on being there again? HRPT.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-03-2016, 03:54 AM   #45
BigMike

Hey Andy, take a look at my setup. Although I still don't have the bed on yet all of my Accuair e-level components are under the bed behind my Boyd's gas tank and just before the rear bumper. I am going to lift the bed floor 2" in order to run exhaust all the way back, have room for the differential to travel and to cover my compressors. The tank & components would work with a stock floor though.

I hear ya on money & affording things, the only reason I was able to get the Accuair setup is because I sold several of my diecast trucks. I know you're chomping at the bit to get the bags on but if you can wait until you can afford the e-level add on it would be well worth it. Then you only have to run a small cable in the cab for the controller (no gauges needed) and 2 wires that go to the headlights and switched power.

I think what some of the other people are trying to do is save you some heartache/trouble/money with their suggestions, I just don't think they worded it well. I think they mean well. I wish I could have been more helpful but my system was my first airbag system so I'm still learning. One person that really helped me out a LOT was Travis @ Pro Performance. He knows these trucks inside out as well as the parts he sells. I told him what I was looking to do and he knew exactly what parts I needed to accomplish them.

Good luck
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #46
Custom 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Yes I hope to have it installed by then. I got 1 more fitting to get and some ferrells for the solenoids fittings. I guess he threw them away with the old hose when he pulled them a part. I forgot to get them today so I'll pick them up tomorrow when I go get the other elbow.
Dave you plan on being there again? HRPT.
Good luck on getting it all together, I don't imagine it will be an issue. No HRPT is not on my list this year. For one thing the route doesn't look too appealing even thou just doing it is one of the best parts. We did CTC last year and will probably head that way again. It was a lot of fun. I wont muddle your post any more.
David
Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #47
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Hey Andy, take a look at my setup. Although I still don't have the bed on yet all of my Accuair e-level components are under the bed behind my Boyd's gas tank and just before the rear bumper. I am going to lift the bed floor 2" in order to run exhaust all the way back, have room for the differential to travel and to cover my compressors. The tank & components would work with a stock floor though.

I hear ya on money & affording things, the only reason I was able to get the Accuair setup is because I sold several of my diecast trucks. I know you're chomping at the bit to get the bags on but if you can wait until you can afford the e-level add on it would be well worth it. Then you only have to run a small cable in the cab for the controller (no gauges needed) and 2 wires that go to the headlights and switched power.

I think what some of the other people are trying to do is save you some heartache/trouble/money with their suggestions, I just don't think they worded it well. I think they mean well. I wish I could have been more helpful but my system was my first airbag system so I'm still learning. One person that really helped me out a LOT was Travis @ Pro Performance. He knows these trucks inside out as well as the parts he sells. I told him what I was looking to do and he knew exactly what parts I needed to accomplish them.

Good luck
Not really in a big hurry to install it. I just want to have all my stuff ready to install. I pressured tested the tank yesterday and it held good. I'm planning on installing everything at the rear of the truck and have the extra air fitting for pumping up tires and also a manual shrader valve on the rear bumper like I have now also.
I'd love to have the e system and there is a chance that I may do it if the money plan my wife and I got going on.
Long story, short: We are buying another house for our daughter and going to let her pay us back instead of borrowing from the bank. I took enough out to get the E system to I hope. I'll have to make sure the house gets what my wife wants first though!
I'm hoping to know by the end of this month.
I've been looking at the E system all their stuff is 1/4" tubing correct. This is a lot smaller and would make a lot better install for sure with no lines having to go through the cab anywhere.

Dave you are welcome to chime in anytime man. Maybe you could do a leg of it this year.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #48
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Accuair's e-level system uses 3/8" tubing.
https://accuair.com/classic/products/air-management

QUOTE:
The e-Level™ TouchPad™ Air Management Package combines all of the highest quality components available to control your Air Springs in one easy to order part number. This kit includes our top-of-the-line e-Level™ Controller with TouchPad™ interface, VU4 4-Corner Valve Manifold, 5-gallon Aluminum Air Tank, Serviceable Aluminum Air Filter, 3/8" D.O.T. Approved Plumbing Kit, and the most detailed Installation & Operation Manuals on the market. These packages are available with Single or Dual compressors and a variety of options shown above

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 02-03-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #49
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: I waited

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Accuair's e-level system uses 3/8" tubing.
https://accuair.com/classic/products/air-management

QUOTE:
The e-Level™ TouchPad™ Air Management Package combines all of the highest quality components available to control your Air Springs in one easy to order part number. This kit includes our top-of-the-line e-Level™ Controller with TouchPad™ interface, VU4 4-Corner Valve Manifold, 5-gallon Aluminum Air Tank, Serviceable Aluminum Air Filter, 3/8" D.O.T. Approved Plumbing Kit, and the most detailed Installation & Operation Manuals on the market. These packages are available with Single or Dual compressors and a variety of options shown above
lolife99,
I went back and saw it said 1/4" ports. My mistake.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #50
68basket

Andy, from reading a lot of your posts you drive you truck A LOT including across the country on power tour. I am worried for you that you are going to have problems with the setup you are trying to use and worst case be stranded somewhere or just be unhappy with the performance of the system. There has been a lot of good information posted in this thread.
68basket is offline   Reply With Quote