The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #476
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Thanks for checking in somtimes I think I am just posting this for my self

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I think there are a lot more people watching this thread than mine. We just don't need to continuously comment on how cool this is, etc. There are always some that can't help themselves and say it for of us. This IRS is a lot more work than that other one you did with the T-bird IRS. Any regrets?
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #477
Frizzle Fry

Quote:

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I'm always watching! Waiting to see what you do with the tails
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #478
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Believe me, I am VERY excited every time I see your post updated...Yours and several others on here keep my attention and are filled with excellent information and are truly inspiring
Old 03-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #479
LooseCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Believe me, I am VERY excited every time I see your post updated...Yours and several others on here keep my attention and are filled with excellent information and are truly inspiring
X2.

I'm always lurking and taking notes
LooseCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #480
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I think there are a lot more people watching this thread than mine. We just don't need to continuously comment on how cool this is, etc. There are always some that can't help themselves and say it for of us. This IRS is a lot more work than that other one you did with the T-bird IRS. Any regrets?
No regrets at all I think this will be one of the coolest projects I have done to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
I'm always watching! Waiting to see what you do with the tails
But of course you are how else are you getting your Tahoe fix these days! I need to get back over and check out the Tuner page

Quote:
Thanks, I try and get as much info out their as I can that will help others. I just don't want it to come off like I am just stroking my own ego if you know what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCannon View Post
X2.

I'm always lurking and taking notes
yeah I see you have been on this site for a few years now. What are you working on?

Thanks for the feed back guys. I would have the front 4 link done tonight and installed but the Brown truck seems to have forgotten were I live and my threaded ends are not showing up. I need to get the 4 bars installed so I can start figuring out just were my toe in/out bars need to be set for proper tracking.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #481
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Thanks, I try and get as much info out their as I can that will help others. I just don't want it to come off like I am just stroking my own ego if you know what I mean.
Kevin
LFD Inc.
It doesn't come off that way at all.

You come across as a very talented artist and metalworker who knows their abilities and takes full advantage of them.

Any chance I can get you to do some work for me for free after that glowing review
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #482
Rokcrln

Quote:
It doesn't come off that way at all.

You come across as a very talented artist and metalworker who knows their abilities and takes full advantage of them.

Any chance I can get you to do some work for me for free after that glowing review

After that review I should charge more!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 AM   #483
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
After that review I should charge more!
Kevin, we love your posts man. Really. I just wait and get all excited when there are new pics. I should think that you would want feed back everynow and then.

Your the guy that helped me cut my cab up and re do it. ahaha. Its almost in bondo, just waiting for the weather to pick up. Keep up the good work.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #484
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I agree kevin when you werent doing much kinda like I have been for a year I was missing your posts and now that your posting agian it gets me motivated to get back out side...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #485
LooseCannon

Quote:
yeah I see you have been on this site for a few years now. What are you working on?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
My "project" is a pile of parts and a vision . One of these days when real progress is made I might start a build thread.
LooseCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #486
jkade

Dang Brother!! Nice build you have going as usual. You need to move to Alabama so you can work on my junk I will keep my eye on this one for sure!!
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #487
Rokcrln

So now that UPS found my house I can have fun again. I finished and installed the forward 4 link bars and now I am working on the toe in/out bars. Right now at ride height the tire is parallel with the center of the chassis and at full dump (tire up) it is out of parallel 3/4" toed in and 1/4" at full lift. So with it being uneven it gives me a place to start mapping out the arc of motion to figure out whats next. In the morning I will make a new temp mounting plate with several adjustment holes so I can go side to side and up and down as well am setting the plate farther forward then needed so I can shim the link out for added adjustment. Then once I get the right spot to keep the tire parallel during the 10" of travel I will make a new plate with mounting holes for both bars and finish up the final bars and move on to the air bag mounts.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

This is just an over all view of the rear set up with approximate location of the passenger side bar on the rear link.

[IMG][/IMG]

Shot of the tire centered at full dump with a 31" mock up tire. This will set the frame about 1" off the ground to match the C4 Drop Member that Nate is building for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next 2 shots just show how much floor space is saved by using an IRS for this kind of set up. Both shots are at full dump and you can see the axle is above the top of frame. If this was a solid axle the frame notch would need to be much larder and the center diff would be about 8" higher. I think over all my floor is about 8-10" lower than a similarly slammed Burb.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rokcrln; 03-26-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #488
VA72C10
VA72C10

Man, that thing is going to be so sick...
People that haven't seen the build will look at it and notice things one by one until their head spins...this will be an awesome piece to showcase your business when completed...

It honestly already showcases your business to me...if I can ever afford to pay to get a burb done...I know where I am sending it...
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #489
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Very cool Kevin. A lot of thought has went into this.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #490
Ackattack

Is the portion of the spindle that the toe in/out link is connected to going to be in the wheel well, or is the floor going to have to be modified to clear that?

Looks great BTW.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #491
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Is the portion of the spindle that the toe in/out link is connected to going to be in the wheel well, or is the floor going to have to be modified to clear that?

Looks great BTW.
Yes

It hit's right in the center of both so the floor will get a small step right over this area and that will cause for a small notch in the wheel well. The step will come right up to the bottom of the rear tumble seats and the side of the wheel wells will touch the seat sides. Not much spare room in this set up but hey if it clears by a 1/64" it still clears right.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #492
Rokcrln

After about 20 different bracket locations and 3 tie rod lengths I have the toe in down to about 1/4" during full lift and Zero at ride and full dump so I am getting close I will post some pics later if I get it done before I have to leave for the Doc's

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #493
Rokcrln

I thought the front 4 link was a tough task to figure out, well it was but this was no simple task to say the least. I still have a very small amount of fine tuning before I make the final mounts and links but I am so close. Then it will be on to the bag mounts once my rear rims show up. I have almost no room left and I think I will be putting a slight curved notch (about 1") into the sides of the frame to make it all work. But that is for another day

What made this part tough is the Axel half shaft has its own arc of travel and the lower link just under the half shaft has its own as well as it not being parallel with the half shaft front to back. Then the front 4 link bars put their own curve to things. The stock toe in bars were much longer then what I ended up with but the stock set up was only set up for about 3" of travel and I am doing over 10". So I started with the stock length on the bars and I just moved them down an equal amount that I lowered the end link at the hub thinking this would be close. Well it was not even close to working so the fun began and this is what I ended up with. Right now it would be just fine as is but I think I can get it just a bit closer. I have 1/4" of toe in movement right now but I want to try and keep it under 1/8" even know the 1/4" it has only comes into play when the Tahoe is lifted over 7" and below that it is well with in tolerance.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

I will do some kind of mount for the two link ends that looks good and be functional for my exhaust hangers to mount to it as well. I figure this area under the diff should be a good place for the 3" dual exhaust to run to the rear. I think the exhaust will be the simplest part of this build since my drive train does not move around like a solid Axel set up does.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #494
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Man, I wish I had your skills, or you were my neighbor
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #495
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
Man, I wish I had your skills, or you were my neighbor
Being your neighbor would be sweet especially if your neighbors neighbors was very wealthy

Thanks,
Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #496
Frizzle Fry

Kinda like figuring out rack width/placement but with an added arc thrown in. Much respect brotha!

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 03-28-2009 at 01:48 AM. Reason: arc not arch...
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #497
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Being your neighbor would be sweet especially if your neighbors neighbors was very wealthy

Thanks,
Kevin
LFD Inc.
Where exactly is this neighborhood?
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #498
64shortc10

Lookin good Kevin! Those tig welds are lookin nice too. Let me know when you have some time and an idea of how much to install my C notches and rack and pinion notches. Are you going to the goodguys show? We are going tommorrow morning taking my 62 to try and sell. I hope that airbag will help. Are you planning on getting that size bag now? Talk to you later. Keep up on the progress. I'll try to stop by and see it in person.

Tony from Norcal
64shortc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #499
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortc10 View Post
Lookin good Kevin! Those tig welds are lookin nice too. Let me know when you have some time and an idea of how much to install my C notches and rack and pinion notches. Are you going to the goodguys show? We are going tommorrow morning taking my 62 to try and sell. I hope that airbag will help. Are you planning on getting that size bag now? Talk to you later. Keep up on the progress. I'll try to stop by and see it in person.

Tony from Norcal
Tony I might go on Sunday depending how I'm feeling As for the bags I want to run the re-8's but I need to see just how much room I have after the wheels get here plus I already have the 8's. I was just looking at how the KP 6-link set up has their bags on the rear half of the bar away from the Axel and if I do this then I think the 8's will fit and stay centered on the bar as well.

As for time for yours I should be able to fit you in in about a month just before I start that 46 collecting dust in the end stall. I have XXL's truck coming in next weekend for a DM install so just after him. As for $ we will work that out. Stop by when you get back from GG show. Good luck with the 62!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #500
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:

Thanks,
Kevin
LFD Inc.
You would be the wealthy 1 if you moved here, you probably could
buy out everyone on my street for the difference if property values
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote