The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #476
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Yesterdays progress: For those of you that haven't sanded a complete truck before, on the exterior, the tailgate is the worst part. Lots of lines, nooks, etc. Complete pain. Almost 3 hours and I didn't touch the lettering. I'n mot sure what I'm going to use in those yet. It came out real good though.

I spent a couple hours at the local body shop yesterday watching them paint on a car. Learned some things, and I think I am at least ready to do the things like the engine compartment, front of the bed, etc. So I'll be able to have it jammed and together for the outside paint at some point. I think I'm going to tow it over there (1 block away) when I'm at that point so they can spray the outside in the booth. They have been real helpful all through this. Let me borrow tools, answering my questions, etc. Not sure I've been a nuisance to them or if they like sharing, but it's been appreciated.

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #477
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Between yesterday and this morning I got 95% of the truck sanded with 180. All thats left is the rockers, below the rear window, center of the cowl, and above the windshield. There are just a few small low spots to take care of. I won't get to them til later in the week, but I should be shooting primer again for the final coat next weekend.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #478
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks better every time!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 AM   #479
BadaSs_Cal

Read this whole thread..my eyes hurt...haha... Man I cant wait to sand... :P

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #480
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looks better every time!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaSs_Cal View Post
Read this whole thread..my eyes hurt...haha... Man I cant wait to sand... :P
Insomnia is a bi*&% aint it?

I'll be back out there today working on it. Should have a couple pics representing more SANDING tonight.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #481
BadaSs_Cal

This is my last day of an 8 day vacation.Screwed my sleeping schedule. DIDNT GET NEAR WHAT I WANTED TO DO ON THE TRUCK!!! but I had lots of lazy time, that and I ran into a couple of snags.. Definately going to have the cab blasted by the end of the month.. stripping the bed is enough... take a couple week break and see how i feel about the front clip...

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #482
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Took longer than expected to get back into the garage, but we take what we can get, right? Finished filling the last of the low spots, found 7 that needed a touch of filler. Sanded those back down, then sprayed a little etch primer on any spots that showed bare metal. I'll sand those later and prep it for what I hope is the last primer coat. Not sure when I'll get to that, kind of busy lately. Wish me luck.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #483
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I know that feeling. I got to see mine yesterday when I went to take out the mower. We'll get them done though....eventually.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #484
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Finally made some progress. Wiped it all down and sprayed another coat of primer. It's grey again. Hopefully it's enough to fill the 180 sanding scratches. I might just sand one panel and see how it looks, then add another coat if needed.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #485
Newtz67

It's amazing how that no matter how much i get on this forum, I always find a thread I've never seen! Great back story, great build!
Newtz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #486
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice progress! I have to get my vette running again, and then it's back to the body shop to fix some stuff. I'm not looking forward to it again!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #487
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I got an estimate from the body shop that has been helping me out along the way with advice, tools, etc. and let them finish the paint from this point. All that's left really is just more sanding and the spraying. From my experiences so far I know I am not ready to do the painting myself and would just be disappointed and frustrated with the mistakes.

I pulled off the front clip today. They will start by painting the insides of the fenders and hood. Next I'm pulling the bed off and will work on repairing the rust in the floor, while they have the truck with the cab on it to do the inside, firewall, backside, etc. We'll get the front clip back on and hopefully I'll have the bed ready to go. The next week or 2 is busy for them, but hopefully it's all in paint by Memorial weekend. I might actually see color on these front panels later this week, but it will probably be longer. They might actually let me do some spraying under instruction.

I also need to get the electric fuel pump and return line installed while the bed is off. And make the mod for the fuel filler I have planned. Should be a fun month, and a funner summer. Lots of things to keep me out of trouble between this and the Jimmy project.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #488
VA72C10
VA72C10

Super cool update!!!

Congrats and hope it works out well and you see it in color and get to cruise in before this summer is over!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #489
Steve-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
... All that's left really is just more sanding and the spraying. From my experiences so far I know I am not ready to do the painting myself and would just be disappointed and frustrated with the mistakes....
After all those hours of sanding, blocking etc etc wouldn't you just want to practise on some old car door and then have a go at it? you've come so far!
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod

Last edited by Steve-W; 05-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #490
69CST-V

Awesome job. Keep up the end looks near.

Company Trucks
69CST-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #491
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Super cool update!!!

Congrats and hope it works out well and you see it in color and get to cruise in before this summer is over!!!
If it's painted by memorial, I'll be driving it before independence day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
After all those hours of sanding, blocking etc etc wouldn't you just want to practise on some old car door and then have a go at it? you've come so far!
I feel ya, and that's precisely why I will let the pros finish it. I did all the prep. I've sprayed several coats of primer of different types and in different conditions. I've looked at the runs, the orange peel, the missed or thin spots, the spots where my shirt touched the fresh spray, the lines rubbed into it from the air hose, the dry spray, the wet spray and every other kind of flaw possible. I've had equipment problems, my garage is completely covered in dust and overspray, no good ventilation other than opening the doors to wind, bugs, leaves, dust, etc. After all of that I am absolutely positive I'm not ready to spray the paint for a good finish. I don't post up every mistake and glorify my failings. I know my habits, I know my limitations, and I'm smart enough to know when I have done enough.

There is a difference between painting a panel on a stand in the flat position and reaching over the back of the cab to spray the drip rail, or reaching over the fender to get the top of the windshield frame, and getting low enough for a good angle on the bottom of the rockers and doors, etc. Could I do it, sure. Would I be happy with the results? That is a huge maybe. And after all of the prep work, it is not worth the experiment on this truck. It means too much to me.

I have another project (The Jimmy) that I plan on seeing through to the end. I can choose a more forgiving paint (non-metallic) and color (brighter) on that. I've learned a lot so far. I need to learn more yet and this is the rig to learn that next stage on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CST-V View Post
Awesome job. Keep up the end looks near.
Thanks. Once I agreed to let the body shop do it, I was finally able to picture myself finishing the project. The end is near indeed.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #492
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Desparately seeking turquoise arm rests. As far as I know the color is not being re-produced. I've placed an ad in the parts section here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=461497

If anyone has some or possibly know where some may be found or purchased, please PM me and/or post on my wtb ad.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #493
R&K's71

Man you have done a great job getting it ready. Cant wait to see it painted. Probaly not as much as you though lol.
R&K's71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #494
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&K's71 View Post
Man you have done a great job getting it ready. Cant wait to see it painted. Probaly not as much as you though lol.
Thats right, not as much as me. 1st color today.

OK, before we get to that, I'll back up to a couple days ago. Went out to the garage and my hood and fenders were gone. The shop has my permission to come get them, and they did. Checked later that day and the inside of the fenders were sanded and taped for paint. The hood was getting a special caulk put between the hood sheetmetal and the braces underneath. Rather than the old foam pads, they use other stuff that I think may be silicon based that will firm up but stay flexible. It was used around all of the bracing and should really tighten up the hood center from bouncing while driving at interstate speeds. I'll post details of the product later.

Yesterday they finished with that stuff in the hood. I got some off time so I got the bed off the truck. No major problems, a scuff in one spot.

The frame is actually black, just covered with sanding dust like everything else.

This morning I started finishing my homemade low hump cover. It's made from a section of floor from a regular cab. I made the rear section to fit, then cut the forward section. There is a seam between them where the firewall meets the floor and that needs trimming to fit the hole in the floor.

Set in place...

Tacked together

Then I pulled it out and added a bunch more tack welds, hammered the flanges underneath together, and tacked them also.

I'll finish it off with some body seam sealer.

Then I mixed up some filler to cover the patches I made for the bottom of the kick panels.

Also heeded the advice from my body man and test fitted the driver side door seal. There is not much gap in the upper rear corner, too much in the lower rear corner. I hammered and used some other tools to bend the seal flange to improve the fit. Made it better, but it's still not right. The shop just finished some work on a 2009 ford and had the old door seals and offered them to me to try out. Those seals went in better than the new original style ones, and filled the gap on the lower section, but was still too tight up top. The advantage though is that the seal actually has 2 squish areas and I think I can use a sharp razor to cut a section out and make it work. The other problem is the seal has an extra inner seal that would be visible inside the cab on this truck, that you don't see on the ford. This could also be removed. Some further testing is needed.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #495
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Now that I got that out of the way, I can move on to the really important stuff.

PAINT!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #496
Cameron 1137

WOW! that looks great! you must be happy
1966 Chevy Corvair 500, "Marigold" SOLD
2005 Subaru Outback Wagon DEAD
2008 Pontiac G8, New Winter/Daily
Cameron 1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #497
VA72C10
VA72C10

Congrats! That looks great! I've seen that type of adhesive used on several restored pickups. Did you grab a part number of it?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #498
Newtz67

Wow, looks great!
Newtz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #499
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron 1137 View Post
WOW! that looks great! you must be happy
Words can't describe it, even though it's just a start.

Quote:
Congrats! That looks great! I've seen that type of adhesive used on several restored pickups. Did you grab a part number of it?
Thanks, I'll get product info on that and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtz67 View Post
Wow, looks great!
Thanks.

I was somewhat worried I wouldn't like the color after it was on a large area compared to the small samples I had seen. My wife told me this morning I had to take her with me to see it for the first time. Partly to make sure I was ok if I wasn't happy with the choice, mostly to see my face when I finally got to see it for real. She took a picture of me with my cell phone so I could send it around. Maybe I'll post it here too. I can't wait to see the inside of the cab in color.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #500
67cheby
67cheby

WOW....congrats
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote