The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #476
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Ok, One for the push bar so far. Any against?

Today my youngest had a softball tournament in a neighboring town. Between games we had some time to kill and it was the city wide garage sale day, and the wife can't hardly pass by one of those. She makes me get out and stroll them with her, which is fine because sometimes you actually find some boy stuff. Such as these posters...

And a classic flashlight and steering wheel knob...

But then you find the greatest thing ever. Old school back seat entertainment center...

But I think it looks good up front also. Maybe some plywood scraps to build the awesome console...

You bet it's AC/DC! I have an rf signal converter and I think I could still get an HDTV converter box. Wonder if the gov't is still handing out vouchers? I wonder if my atari would hook up?

Just having fun, but then again...

Last edited by hgs_notes; 05-07-2011 at 07:11 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #477
swamp rat

LOL! I'll bet the girls are wearing wigs. Your entertainment center i beleve is period accurate too.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #478
1956cameo

Looks good. I have an ancient black and white TV like the one in your blazer. My dad has had it since 1973. Since they converted over to HD signal it has not worked due to not bieng able to accept an HD reciever. I left it on the day of the switch so I knew it would broadcast until the last second. For some reason I don't have the heart to throw it away.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #479
steppside69

I like the guard, looks mean!!!!
Eric
steppside69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #480
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Here's my old school cup holder. Doors on newer cars are too thick now, but these work great.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #481
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Count me as a vote against the pushbar. If it and the pumper were chrome, I'd be for it. I think you are getting away with about as much as you can with the chrome grille and white bumper.

Plus, if this is lowbuck, you can sell that pushbar to finance other required parts, like the plywood for the entertainment center console...

Hey, you asked for opinions...

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.

Last edited by Tynee; 05-09-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #482
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynee View Post
Count me as a vote against the pushbar. If it and the pumper were chrome, I'd be for it. I think you are getting away with about as much as you can with the chrome grille and white bumper.

Plus, if this is lowbuck, you can sell that pushbar to finance other required parts, like the plywood for the entertainment center console...

Hey, you asked for opinions...
Yes I did ask, and it doesn't bother me a bit to hear dissenting opinions. I was thinking about painting the bumper black and repainting the push bar. What do you think?

Had to take it for a brief ride today. It was blocking the garage door where my truck is and it was going to the body shop. My old Optima battery just had no CCA left in it. It would only start (turn over) with the charger in start mode. So after a junkyard battery that failed after a year or so, and my optima giving up the ghost, I splurged and bought a new battery. I went with a walmart everstart Maxx 34 which was really highly rated by consumer reports and cheaper than the diehards, napas, etc by a significant amount. With tax, about $94.

*updated* Forgot to mention I sold the rally wheels and tires to Sharpie for $100. Now with the shocks, tires, battery, etc I'm at a total spent of $3460. I haven't had much time to do anything with this project lately because I've been getting my C-10 ready for paint, and work/family commitments. I've got some intermittant stall happening with it and I don't know if it's fuel, ignition, mechanical or what. The new shocks make the ride a bit stiffer. Still need to get the air lines ran to the rear shocks and jack it up a bit. Brakes and wiring, blahblahblah. Need more hours in the day, and days in the week.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 05-27-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #483
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I think the stall is from a carb adjustment. After revving it wants to shutdown. Further investigation is needed. I installed the rear seat hold down brackets after cleaning them up and painting them. So the rear seat is solid now. I took a few minutes to hook up the air lines to the shocks. They work and I got an immediate 1" of lift. My compressor doesn't run more than 135 psi though and I think I need more pressure to level it out more. Or I'll just get some 2" blocks and be done with it. The shocks were still too good of a bargain to pass up, so no loss there.

The new battery is great. I always thought I had a ground somewhere and disconnected the battery when I wasn't running it. Now I can leave it hooked up and still have power, which is a huge relief. Finding grounds is a pain.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 05-27-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #484
Darkrider

Great project! any updates?
Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #485
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Not really. The C-10 in my signature got all the love this summer. Turns out that getting a truck painted and re-assembled takes up a lot of time? Ask my wife, she'll give you an earful. The truck isn't quite done yet and whatever time I get goes to that project. I figure by the end of October I'll either have it done as far as I can go or it'll be too crappy outside to matter and I'll park it until spring. Then the Jimmy will start getting some attention again.

The biggest thing and the priority will be the passenger bedside. I have 2 sections of truck bedside to use as patches but also have a blazer bedside from a project I'm parting out. Once I get that part off I'll decide which route is better. It just depends on what rust I find on that one and how much welding will need to be done for repairs. Then I'll fix any floor rust I find and get the inside of the tub sprayed with some liner, I'm thinking Al's Liner now and if I like how that goes, I'll do my truck bed also.

I hate to make estimates on time for these things, but I'm hoping to have it all painted by spring and mostly assembled. I've learned a lot about body work the past couple years and I'm much faster now. Right now I'm thinking gold and black, maybe yellow and black, with a few surprises.

I picked up a door panel for the drivers door ($10). Sorted through my stash of parts to make sure I have the small bits to put it together later. I'll also have some leftovers from my truck build for it, such as a new gage bezel and lense for a vac/tach set up (if I can find a deal on those gages). I "might" try to install a windshield in it this week. I watched the pro do my truck windshield and I did the rear window and it doesn't seem that difficult. I need to rebuild the carb also. The windshield and carb are basically what kept it parked this summer. I just didn't have the time to do anything.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #486
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The Jimmy project will start to get some love pretty soon. My C-10 is about 95% completed and I've been driving it for several weeks now. Just waiting for some time, money and the usual to have it completely finished before next spring.

Part of that project was an upgrade to a vac/tach dash. I got a new bezel and lense for it and was searching for the other parts I needed when Classic Industries had a 20% off sale. So I just bought their complete kit, which came with a lense also. So that means I have an extra lense. I also had a camaro tach sitting on the shelf that I could use. At a minimum I needed to find a front tin for the cluster that had the vac gauge hole. I pm'd livrat who does these conversions and sells them on the board and elsewhere and he had one extra tin for $20 shipped. I think I paid $5 for the tach. Now I just need to find a cheap vacuum gauge and I'll have what I need.

Last night I started cutting the tin to fit the tach. Here's how it looked to start with...

Then I cut out the spot at the top of the center circle and then used my nibbler to cut it out. I cleaned up the edges with a die grinder.

The tach had a couple spots top and bottom that needed to be trimmed to fit in the tin.

Just set a spare bezel on to see how it looks.

I'll have to modify the back tin also yet for mounting the tach, and I'll post that when I do it. I have parts to add a manual throttle set up to this if I decide not to sell them. New bezels are fairly cheap so I'll probably go that route rather than try to make mine pretty with a rattle can, but maybe I'll do something completely different with it. I have an idea rolling around like a loose marble in my head. Just one lonely idea that doesn't have anything else to bang against, but it's growing.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #487
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good!
Old 10-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #488
71swb4x4

Mike I might have an extra vacuum gauge and might need a tach/vac lens if that is the lens that you have.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:05 AM   #489
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Yesterday I wanted to move the jimmy because I needed to clean up around where it has been resting. I pulled the battery out of my C-10, poured some gas in the carb and got it lit up. Here's the problem, and the main reason it was parked all summer, it won't idle for more than about 10 seconds. It'll start ok with a pump or 2 of the throttle and idle nice and smooth. Then after about 5 seconds it acts like it's starving for fuel and a few seconds later stalls. Now if you start it and then go to part throttle it'll run like that with no problems for as long as you want but will stall as soon as you let off the gas.

It's an edelbrock 1405 and I neglected to put a fuel filter in the line. Dumb mistake I know. So I pulled the air horn off the carb and sure enough it's dirty in there. It's possible it was like that before I installed it because it was used and I never opened it up prior to this. I cleaned out the little filters on the needle/seat assemblies, and the fuel feed to both bowls, cleaned out the bowls, cleaned out the jets in the bowl bottoms, adjusted both fuel floats for drop and float lift and put it back together and added a fuel filter.

Same exact results. I had checked fuel pressure before this and it sits at 6 psi. The next step is to pull the carb off and completely disassemble and clean it, but the thing is, I would like to know where the problem is. Maybe I can pull the idle mix screws and spray some carb cleaner through those first.

It has to be something with the idle circuit but I can't think of what because it will start and idle good for 5-10 seconds, except after part throttle. So if there are any edelbrock gurus out there reading my thread, please speak up. This is the first edelbrock I've had and it seems simple enough, just need some idea of what to look for.

BTW, I added some tranny fluid and at part throttle, I got it moved under it's own power. Funny thing is that when I 1st got this engine running last winter, I thought it was kinda loud through the exhaust. Sonic turbos and it's kinda throaty. After driving my C-10 around with the flowmasters, it sounds like my wifes denali compared to my C-10, damn that thing is loud.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-31-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #490
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

On another note, I discovered that there is some rust in my windshield frame. It's just above the gasket in the middle so it looks like I'll have to do some patching once I pull the windshield out. Yippee!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #491
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I got a little time today to work on the carb. I pulled the idle mixture screws out and sprayed some carb cleaner through them, re-installed the screws and away we went. Drove over to the body shop and got a 2nd opinion on my hammered in bedside. Marv thinks he could pull it out. I think I'll take out the inner wheel tub on that side, and remove that piece that is tack welded to the inside lip of the wheel well and give him a shot. It would beat the snot out having to weld a monster patch into it. Marv is a perfectionist and if he can do it, it'll be good. If not, I still have plan B. The patches are in the garage waiting.

Just thinking about the roll bar and I'm not satisfied with how it sits at the floor. I think I can cut off the floor mount plates and either reposition them or cut new ones to fit better.

I bought a new battery today so I don't have to keep pulling the one out of my C-10. I got an 850 CCA 72 month warrantee Exide on sale at the farm supply place for $70. It'll be nice to be able to just move it around under it's own power as needed. I'm still trying to sell my extra parts here and on ebay to make room in the garage so I can pull the windshield out, fix the rust and make some progress on this thing. I have some regrets that I didn't try a little harder this summer to get this on the road, but concentrating on my C-10 and being able to cruise in that again more than makes up for any bad feelings I had.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #492
fattyarbuckle

should have kept on pulling...move 90* it would come off....

btw what made you stop? when did you realize the pully wouldnt come off?
fattyarbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #493
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyarbuckle View Post
should have kept on pulling...move 90* it would come off....

btw what made you stop? when did you realize the pully wouldnt come off?
The puller was going to slip off the edge and really wasn't making any progress anyway. I knew after the first few cranks it wasn't coming off like that but I wanted to see how far it would go.

There are other embarrassing moments I could have posted throughout the build, I chose only a select few to post.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #494
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I borrowed a timing light and got that set at 10*, 8* seemed a little sluggish of the start, 10* was better but there is a miss at part throttle under load. Culd be the carb jets, or it still needs more timing, or the advance in the dizzy isn't coming on right, etc. The main thing is that it runs and drives.

I got a new fuel filter in it.

Decided to use my extra new battery tray. This way I can use the battery hold downs to at least make it harder to steal, and I put some new cable ends on it. Spent about $5 for the filter, $3 for the cable ends, $75 for the battery with tax, the tray was about $25 if I remember correctly. Total spent is $3484. (The other battery I bought I credited back because it is now in my C-10)

I talked to the body shop today about letting me use some space in their shop for a while. I need to take the top off and pull the windshield to fix some things, give Marv access to try and hammer out the bedside and then I can do some spraying and sanding without messing up my garage anymore than it already is. And I can keep my C-10 at home to finish up the odds and ends rather than find storage for it. Too many projects, not enough stalls.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #495
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Ok, One for the push bar so far. Any against?
You bet it's AC/DC! I have an rf signal converter and I think I could still get an HDTV converter box. Wonder if the gov't is still handing out vouchers? I wonder if my atari would hook up?

Just having fun, but then again...
dude, even if you get the atari hooked up, I bet your joysticks are all worn.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #496
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
dude, even if you get the atari hooked up, I bet your joysticks are all worn.
Nope, I got one of these bad boys and it's hardly been used.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...id=_em8Ey-kj7P

Last edited by hgs_notes; 11-06-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #497
litew8

Link not working but I know what you're talking about, it's a cop-out!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #498
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I got a second opinion on my bashed in bed side and whether it could be hammered out. I think I'm going to remove the wheel tub and the filler plate above the inside of the wheelwell and see what can be done. I think it's worth a shot before I start cutting and welding.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #499
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I've been trying for weeks to get my garage cleaned out enough to make room for a 2nd vehicle and finally got there today.

Beautiful sight ain't it? First thing I did was see how far in the panel was pushed in. Not so beautiful...

So I pulled the rear passenger side tire off and cut the spot welds holding the inner panel to the wheel well arch. Then removed most of the wheel tub bolts (2 will need some extra work to get out), then used the air chisel to pop the tacks loose.

Then came the experimental technique for panel straightening. I'd heard of it before, read it somewhere and wanted to give it a shot. I used my free napa football from a few years ago as a tool. I inserted a ball inflater stem into it and deflated it, then slid it between the inner and outer bedside panels like so...

Pumped in some air until it pushed the panel back out...

Let it deflate again and slide it up to another spot and repeat until I thougth I got out about all I could.

And here is where its at for now...

The wheel arch is still a mess, but I had to break off for dinner and rest. The main panels is much better now, some work with a stug gun and puller will take care of most of it. Maybe tomorrow I'll test my hammering skills and just see if I can keep improving it. I might have to replace the arch though, we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #500
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice work!!! Huge improvement already!