The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #526
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

good progress and thanks for sharing the tip on the wood as a way to save someone else from doing the same thing. I've learned a ton that way in business. I have been in the cabinet industry for 16yrs+ now and I can't tell you how many mistakes I've avoided by seeing someone else make them and learning from it. Of course I've made my own mistakes too, but by learning from others mistakes I've been able to keep from most of the common mistakes that cost time and money.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #527
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I really wasn't happy with how my dent repair was coming out. The light opening was bowed out, there was a bad indent right around the outer edge and I just couldn't get a good tool in there to work it out better. The worst of it was behind the flange that holds the light assembly, so out of desparation I just pulled the whole flange out so I could work behind it.

This allowed me to pound out the worst of the dent, get various dollies in and get it pretty flat and back to the original shape.

Then I needed to get the flange back in and straight. I could reach a bar in through the side marker hole to support and push against the area with the bow, then hammer the flange back in above and below that point. Came out pretty good, should need minimal hammer and filler work from this point. I put my bar in to show the edge is pretty straight now, and I reposted the before pics also.

So now it's time to strip the paint and get some good primer on this side. The next area of body work will be the windshield frame. I'll remove the windshield and sandblast to see how many pinholes show up and decide from there how to repair it. Next mechanical work is to fix the transfer case leaks. One of those things I should have done when it was out of the truck, oh well. Live and learn.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #528
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Holly cow, great job on that RH bed side! That's awesome. mose people would have scrapped that tub due to that. Great work!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #529
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Holly cow, great job on that RH bed side! That's awesome. mose people would have scrapped that tub due to that. Great work!
Thanks, but I think most would have just replaced the bedside. The tub is nearly rust free and would have been a damn shame to scrap.

I decided to start on the transfer case repairs. It's been a while since I could be mechanical. Drained the oil without spilling a drop, got the drive shafts disconnected, removed the bolts to the adapter then the support bolts and started pulling it back with my jack under it. I had the oil drain pan over by the driver side rocker and wouldn't you know it, but it was still too close when the transfer case came off the jack.

Cripes what a mess...

Anyway, it's out and on the workbench. I've never tore into one of these before so I have a couple manuals to look over tonight. I'm just planning to inspect it for damage and replace what needs replaced, new seals and gaskets and reinstall. I think most of the problem is leakage from the tranny thru the adapter and into the transfer case, so I'll probably have to replace a seal in the tranny tail end also. Sure was nice having a hole in the floor to work thru. Think I'll have to make a better support plate for my jack when it's time to re-install.

On the very plus side though, I took my C-10 for a ride today. This is MN at the new year. Last year we had about 3 feet of snow and the highs were single digits. I never imagined being able to drive it now but I'm going to take advantage of it while I can. It put a huge grin on my face. Not that it can't be driven with snow, it's just not done because of the salt used on the roads and the icy conditions increase the risk of smashing it up.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #530
bollybib

Keep bangin' away it's gettin' there.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #531
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I had the oil drain pan over by the driver side rocker and wouldn't you know it, but it was still too close when the transfer case came off the jack.
My luck right there
Things like that keep us humble.
I've read oven cleaner and a little scrubbing on concrete cleans oil/grease up nicely.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #532
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollybib View Post
Keep bangin' away it's gettin' there.
Here's hoping to less hammering and more smoothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
My luck right there
Things like that keep us humble.
I've read oven cleaner and a little scrubbing on concrete cleans oil/grease up nicely.
My floor has a nice epoxy coating on it. Clean up is easy enough.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #533
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I was just regretting tearing my 40 apart today. It would have been nice to be cruising it right now in this great weather we're having!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #534
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:

Anyway, it's out and on the workbench. I've never tore into one of these before so I have a couple manuals to look over tonight. I'm just planning to inspect it for damage and replace what needs replaced, new seals and gaskets and reinstall. I think most of the problem is leakage from the tranny thru the adapter and into the transfer case, so I'll probably have to replace a seal in the tranny tail end also. Sure was nice having a hole in the floor to work thru. Think I'll have to make a better support plate for my jack when it's time to re-install.

On the very plus side though, I took my C-10 for a ride today. This is MN at the new year. Last year we had about 3 feet of snow and the highs were single digits. I never imagined being able to drive it now but I'm going to take advantage of it while I can. It put a huge grin on my face. Not that it can't be driven with snow, it's just not done because of the salt used on the roads and the icy conditions increase the risk of smashing it up.
Just found your thread! I am at the same point with my 205. I am looking at using parts from quad4x4 for gaskets seal kit you may want to check them out they have proper thickness gaskets and they say that is really important. Curious to see if yo replace any bearings. Do you know if any bearings turn besides the ones in line with driveshaft in 2x4? Speaking of seals, the ones in my trans/tcase adapter were hard like plastic so you def want to replace those as they keep fluid out of the tcase like you mentioned (i know, duh).

Weather is amazing, I feel like we are going to pay for it at some point,

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #535
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I was just regretting tearing my 40 apart today. It would have been nice to be cruising it right now in this great weather we're having!
We had 53 (record) on monday. I was working on the jimmy with the garage door open in a long sleeve shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Just found your thread! I am at the same point with my 205. I am looking at using parts from quad4x4 for gaskets seal kit you may want to check them out they have proper thickness gaskets and they say that is really important. Curious to see if yo replace any bearings. Do you know if any bearings turn besides the ones in line with driveshaft in 2x4? Speaking of seals, the ones in my trans/tcase adapter were hard like plastic so you def want to replace those as they keep fluid out of the tcase like you mentioned (i know, duh).

Weather is amazing, I feel like we are going to pay for it at some point,
I knew there was a problem with the rear tranny seal when I had to add fluid to the tranny to get it to move and it keeps leaking out of the transfer case shift lever holes which are up high. I'll try to put as much info in the thread as I can for the t-case work.

As for the weather, every day that goes by like this just makes it that much easier to get through the coming winter chill. I'll take a shorter winter anytime. My wife said it was because I bought a new snowblower this fall. I told her I'll buy a new one every year if it will give us a winter like this.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #536
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I'm not going to argue with the weather either! I've been opening up my shop every morning letting the out side heat it for a change in the winter.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #537
VA72C10
VA72C10

We'll pay for this weather at some point....it always comes in cycles. We're due for some tough winters down the road in my area...although in Tidewater, VA, they've had near or record snowfall the two previous years...
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #538
litew8

Yeah, careful what you wish for. Could be a prolonged winter - thereby making for a short summer.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 AM   #539
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Yeah, careful what you wish for. Could be a prolonged winter - thereby making for a short summer.
2 years ago we got hammered with snow, and last year we got our fair share of cold, so we have paid some dues!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #540
litew8

Living in Iowa, I don't think our "dues" are ever paid off.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #541
id_unavailable

Dude you have some skills. I am inspired when I see others do so much with so little to work with (taking a fender that most would scrap and beating it back to shape). The body work that you have done is very impressive.

Last edited by id_unavailable; 12-30-2011 at 08:16 PM.
id_unavailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #542
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by id_unavailable View Post
Dude you have some skills. I am inspired when I see others do so much with so little to work with (taking a fender that most would scrap and beating it back to shape). The body work that you have done is very impressive.
Thanks, I appreciate that. Just so everyone knows, the wheel arch is not quite right but it's hard to tell in the pics. If I needed it to look better it would probably have to be replaced with straight sheetmetal. I took it as far as my skills would go and for this project it is good enough.

On to the transfer case. I pulled off the bearing retainers and covers. Made the mistake of pulling the rear output shaft completely out. There are needle bearings inside it that fall out, kind of a pain to get those back in. All the gears and bearings look pretty good and roll smoothly. The bottom of the case was clean, no sludge or particles of any kind.

The local parts stores do not carry the seals and gaskets as a set or even listed as available. They just have a complete rebuild kit. I could go in with the seal part numbers, etc, but found a couple sources online that have kits that do not include the bearings. I'll post what I get when I order it.

I bet the previous owner of this truck originally parked it because he couldn't keep tranny fluid in it and it had a huge puddle under the transfer case. After sitting for too long the engine seized from water leaks on the head gaskets and so it was sent to the junkyard for me to find. I ended up with a project because of a $10 seal. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Pics are in the camera, camera in the garage, I'll get 'em up later.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #543
Lifetime Project 72

I have to say this is one a view builds on this site that I look forward to.Your descriptions of what you are doing,plus all the pics are really inspirational.
To build a running truck on less than 4 grand is amazing!! I feel like going and getting a stud gun and slide hammer to pull the dents on my box sides,because of your excellent work!
And the fact its a GMC makes it so much better!
Looking forward to more great pics!

Chris
Lifetime Project 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #544
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime Project 72 View Post
I have to say this is one of a few builds on this site that I look forward to.Your descriptions of what you are doing, plus all the pics are really inspirational.
To build a running truck on less than 4 grand is amazing!! I feel like going and getting a stud gun and slide hammer to pull the dents on my box sides,because of your excellent work!
And the fact its a GMC makes it so much better!
Looking forward to more great pics!

Chris
Thanks! As far as the stud gun goes, see if you can borrow one first. They are kinda spendy. I had nothing to loose banging the dents out, but time. I had replacement sheetmetal on hand to replace if needed so I could take the risk that most would be afraid to take.

Here's some pics. Front of the case, front output shaft retainer cover removed...

Back of the case with the rear output shaft and retainer removed, also the other covers removed.

The rear output shaft, that hole has 15 needle bearings in about 3 inches. Just use some grease in there and on the needles to get them back in place. There is just a washer and spring wire retainer holding them. I don't think I would have had to pull the shaft out all if I had removed the bearing from the retainer housing first. There are needle bearings in the retainer housing also.

Needle bearings and rear output shaft bearing. The haynes manual said there were 2 rows of 32 needles each, but mine had 1 row of about 45. The 1971 and 72 GM Chassis Manual has no info at all on the transfer case. There are web sites that show the breakdown also.

This is the speedo drive on the PTO cover. The speedo drive had no O-rings at all, and it wasn't even pictured on the t-case breakdown pics I had.

The gasket/seal kit I'm looking at will probably include the shifter rod seals, but I don't know if I can replace them withot pulling the shafts out, which would require pretty much a complete disassembly, which I'm trying to avoid. Hows that for a run on sentence? Anyway, I might just try to pull the seals with the shafts still in. They are at the top and not really a point for oil leakage out, but more to keep outside stuff from getting in. Probably won't get parts until next week. This weekend I'll pull the adapter off and see if I can get the tranny seal replaced and maybe strip some more paint and spray primer. Have to see what plans the wife has.

Happy New Year to you and yours!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #545
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

Quote:
This is the speedo drive on the PTO cover. The speedo drive had no O-rings at all, and it wasn't even pictured on the t-case breakdown pics I had.
My speedo drive sleeve had no seals either (and leaked horribly). I bought one of these from GM which includes a seal:
Attached Images

'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #546
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

You might want to get the np205 kit at NAPA. I went there looking for just the main input and output bearings and for a quality set of those, NAPA and other places were 100-160 for just those two. Well by the time you spend 100 for those and 125 for a gasket/seal kit, your at 225+ and don't have the other bearings and clips. Napa has a rebuild kit with gaskets, seals and quality SKF ball bearings for $250. I don't think it has the needle bearings but it looks otherwise complete. I'm hoping it has the 350 trans adapter seals. NAPA couldn't find those separately. I ordered the kit and it should be in on Wed. I'll let you know how it looks.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )

'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
Old 12-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #547
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpeanut View Post
My speedo drive sleeve had no seals either (and leaked horribly). I bought one of these from GM which includes a seal:
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
You might want to get the np205 kit at NAPA. I went there looking for just the main input and output bearings and for a quality set of those, NAPA and other places were 100-160 for just those two. Well by the time you spend 100 for those and 125 for a gasket/seal kit, your at 225+ and don't have the other bearings and clips. Napa has a rebuild kit with gaskets, seals and quality SKF ball bearings for $250. I don't think it has the needle bearings but it looks otherwise complete. I'm hoping it has the 350 trans adapter seals. NAPA couldn't find those separately. I ordered the kit and it should be in on Wed. I'll let you know how it looks.
I'm looking at DTS-TSK205 for $30. My bearings are good.
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...e_Illustration
Old 12-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #548
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Did more running around today than anything. I pulled the adapter off the back end of the tranny. Simple enough, more oil on the floor.

There are 2 seals in the adapter. You have to remove the coupling sleeve and bearing to get to them. The snap ring holding the bearing is easy to get out. The one for the coupling is not unless you have a huge snap ring pliers. I don't, but know someone who does.

Front side, 1 seal is behind this bearing...

This is the snap ring that was troublesome...

Back side...

The coupling sleeve, it drops right out because the seals are hard and not really on the shaft anymore...

Front seal installed. Notice it is backwards from what a normal install is, so instead of tapping on the flat side of the seal, you have to use something on it to tap against. I used a thin piece of wood cut round to get the seal in flush with the outer edge of the hole. Then used a punch very carefully around the edge of the seal until it was in all the way.

The rear seal went in like the front. Here's a little info I hope will help others out there. The original seal is a National 480410, this is no longer available and the replacement is National 471424 or SKF 19762. They are not as thick, but otherwise fit just fine. Seems to be a common problem with these seals leaking. I've also read about an o-ring that fits in here somewhere, mine did not have one at all, so I'll have to keep researching.

I found a couple o-rings that will work for the speedo drive also. The small one fits a groove on the inside of the nut portion, the bigger one fit the outside of the threads where it will sit against the face of the t-case. I don't have size numbers so I'm just posting a pic on a ruler.

I found that there was a gasket set available from fel-pro, TS80324, but has been discontinued. Not having much luck finding a new number for that yet, but found a couple places that claim to stock it. Waiting to hear from drivetrain.com yet on what is included in their kit, and will also check with zbag.com because that is where a local mechanic gets all his parts. I've been to their shop and they are top notch.

Here's some ebay options too...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NP205-GM-DOD...item35b4a6ae5d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevy-Dod...item3366b07b72

This ones local with 100% positive feedback... http://www.ebay.com/itm/NP205-Transf...item336c01eb22

Just bought that last one, so done 'til tuesday or so. Unless I decide to strip paint. Yuck.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 12-31-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #549
litew8

Not sure what gaskets you need; you could always make your own.
Edit, just clicked on one of the ebay links - that's a crap load of gaskets... too many to make eh
Old 01-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #550
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Thanks for the tip.

I'm looking at DTS-TSK205 for $30. My bearings are good.
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...e_Illustration
I wonder if the quality is there with that set? It just seems too cheap imo.

Thanks for the part number on the trans output adapter seals. Curious to hear if you find the gasket for that to trans.

Keep up the good work!