The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #551
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Satin or semi gloss black. I'm going to try my hand at it. What's the worst that can happen? If it's really bad, I'll sand it and try again. It's all under the hood anyway.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #552
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Sprayed 2k primer on the inner fenders and radiator support today. Just need to sand a bit more and all of the parts should be ready for black.
Attached Images

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-13-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #553
spike38

Looking good!

I'd go with the semi gloss Black.

Spike
spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #554
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike38 View Post
Looking good!

I'd go with the semi gloss Black.

Spike
Thanks, thats the plan.

Today I was going to sand the primer smooth on all of these parts so it was ready for paint. Turns out that the wet cool weather we've had isn't condusive to paint drying. The sandpaper just clogged up within seconds and I was getting no where. Went over to the body shop for some advice and he said to try wet sanding it. I was a little nervous about it only because I never really wet sanded something like this before, just machined surfaces that were not being painted. As it turns out, I don't mind it at all. The progress was quick, it was less messy in my opinion than having dust everywhere and in everything.

So, as of tonight, the parts are ready to be wiped down and sprayed with paint. I'm going to start with a part of a bedside I have and see if I can get a nice smooth finish, then the hood latch pieces, then the radiator support and inner fenders if all goes well.

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it. The skill isn't there yet.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #555
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good! Don't be down on yourself. You're doing it the right way....getting advice and practicing on test panels...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #556
spike38

Good luck!

I'm in the same learning process

Spike
Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #557
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looking good! Don't be down on yourself. You're doing it the right way....getting advice and practicing on test panels...
I'm not down. I just think of one of my favorite Clint Eastwood quotes "A man has got to know his limitations."

Quote:
Good luck!

I'm in the same learning process

Spike
It went well, Thanks.

So today was finally paint day for me. Overall, it went well. Getting a semi-gloss or satin black is not the easiest thing to do. Using a single stage paint you add a flattener to it. It's a heavy mix too. The can will say 60% mix, but when you add the catalyst or hardener, it counteracts the flattener, so you have to add more, like almost 1:1 ratio. And if you make a mistake, like I did and use too much catalyst, it ends up glossier than expected.

My 1st batch went well, the second had too much catalyst and gloss. It looked good though and as it cured the gloss was fading. By the time I cleaned up and went back in the house it was looking pretty much how I wanted.

The earlier pics are when it was still wet and really glossy.

Later...

Had a little extra paint so I sprayed the bottom side of the rear wheel tubs also.

And a self portrait. I've never looked better.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #558
67chevy1series

shoot seeing the way the black turned out i would have a big smile from ear to ear!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #559
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks good on my screen
Old 06-17-2011, 02:20 AM   #560
spike38

The black paint is fantastic!
Great job

Spike
Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #561
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
shoot seeing the way the black turned out i would have a big smile from ear to ear!
Can't you see me smiling behind the mask?
Quote:
Looks good on my screen
Thanks.
Quote:
The black paint is fantastic!
Great job

Spike
Thanks. There are a couple runs in it, only one will be visible.

When I woke up this morning, I realized a mistake I made. I forgot to paint the battery tray. So I'll have to mix up some more paint for that and hope it's a close enough match. I also realized that my radiator support doesn't have lower radiator mounts. I didn't notice last night while I was prepping and spraying, but after I woke up and was still lying in bed.

There's always something.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #562
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Paint looks good cant wait to see it all together..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #563
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I cleaned up the garage yesterday and brought the truck home for some reassembly. While it was in the sunlight I snapped a few pics. The first one is my favorite and my new desktop background. The others are hopefully showing the color a bit in the natural light.

Nothing done today. Just got home from a softball tournament that concludes tomorrow. Should get some time later to work on it.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #564
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #565
ryan_long_01

Just read this entire thread at once...awesome work, man. A real inspiration. My rusty '70 sitting in the driveway could use this treatment. Anyway, you're in the home stretch now, so I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how it comes out. Just wanted to say how impressed I am that someone dove in and got to this point learning along the way...great job.
ryan_long_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #566
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I cleaned up the garage yesterday and brought the truck home for some reassembly. While it was in the sunlight I snapped a few pics. The first one is my favorite and my new desktop background. The others are hopefully showing the color a bit in the natural light.

Nothing done today. Just got home from a softball tournament that concludes tomorrow. Should get some time later to work on it.
wow the paint looks awesome! keep it up man!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #567
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Totally awesome! It looks great! Keep up the great week.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #568
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Looking good!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_long_01 View Post
Just read this entire thread at once...awesome work, man. A real inspiration. My rusty '70 sitting in the driveway could use this treatment. Anyway, you're in the home stretch now, so I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how it comes out. Just wanted to say how impressed I am that someone dove in and got to this point learning along the way...great job.
Wow, your eyes burning up? I didn't post every mistake (learning opportunity) I made, but tried to put enough info to help others from repeating my mistakes. The one I'm thinking about at the moment is overspray. I should have done more to cover the chassis, etc when I sprayed primer. Now I'm going back over it with a rattle can so it looks alright. The next thing is keeping the parts organised and labeled. This is especially true when you have more than one project at a time plus other stuff from trucks you parted out. Too much time is spent thinking, "Man, what did I do with that part? I know it's here somewhere."
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
wow the paint looks awesome! keep it up man!
Keeping on man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Totally awesome! It looks great! Keep up the great work.
That's the plan.

Today I'm going to do some clean up on the front chassis, get the master cylinder/booster installed and radiator support, and anything else I can manage to put back in/on it.

Happy Fathers Day to all you other dads out there. Take your kid for a cruise today.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #569
mcbassin
Still Learning

That paint looks great! you are moving right along now. Awesome!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #570
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I started the day washing the chassis, trying to get rid of some of the sanding dust and other junk that had settled on it the past couple years. Then I masked the firewall and covered the engine and sprayed some rustoleum on it to cover the overspray and some places that were missed when it was originally sandblasted and painted.

When I got the truck back in the garage Friday evening, all I could do was look at it and think about all of the work that needed to be done and was kinda overwhelmed into inaction. I needed to think and find some direction. This morning I figured the best plan was to start in the middle and work outward for ease of access. So I got the Lokar shifter linkage I bought a couple years ago and started with that.

It came out well, but the rod is barely long enough for our trucks. No trimming required. And due to a bit more side angle than the swivels will handle, the rod needed to be bent slightly so it wouldn't bind. So after putting it on and taking it off a few times, I finally had it set up and I think it'll work nicely and definitely a cleaner set up than the stock linkage.

First pic is in park, next is in low. There is plenty of clearance.

Next on the list was the gas pedal. My truck began as a 71, but then I swapped to a 70 cab, which has a different gas pedal set up. And recently I found some manual throttle set ups in junkyards and wanted to use one in my truck, and all of those were from the 70 and older trucks. I wanted to use the newer style pedal though and rather than convert the cab to fit the newer pedal assembly, I adapted the older pedal assembly with the manual throttle set up to a newer gas pedal. I checked all the angles and how both mounted, found a spot to cut both pedal arms at the same time, swapped the pedal end and welded it back on. It should fit good. It's cleaned up and the paint is drying now. I need the firewall grommet before I can mount it.

I got the radiator support loosely bolted on. Waiting for the lower radiator mounts before I bolt it in tighter. And also have to wait until I'm ready to put the fenders and hood on before it's bolted down tight.

I started sorting through the wiring, found the speedo cable, pulled the brake booster/master cylinder out of the attic and cleaned it, found the correct brake pedal push rod for the power brakes and painted it, (need a new firewall grommet before it's mounted) and then petered out for the day. Other than waiting for paint to dry (rustoleum takes forever) and for parts to be delivered, I'm not as overwhelmed as I was a couple days ago. Baby steps...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #571
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good! Like you said...one step at a time....I wrote a list as I got closer....at this point I started but stopped because it was overwhelming so I wanted to finish more before I started a list

On the power brake grommet...check with wes at classic heartbeat. I think he's one of the only guys with them right now. Or watch ebay as they pop up on there often...
Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #572
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Looking good! Like you said...one step at a time....I wrote a list as I got closer....at this point I started but stopped because it was overwhelming so I wanted to finish more before I started a list

On the power brake grommet...check with wes at classic heartbeat. I think he's one of the only guys with them right now. Or watch ebay as they pop up on there often...
Spoke with Wes at Classic Heartbeat a few minutes ago. Those brake rod boot for the firewall is not available at this time and he is out of the old stock. On the up side, he is having them reproduced but it might be 3-6 months before they are available.

Between him and Kevin at
Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
6351 Brighton Ave SE
Montrose Mn 55363
612-242-9925

I should have most of what I need for re-assembly on the way.

The brake booster will get installed without it for now. This morning I installed the gas pedal, the crankcase vent hose and painted the top of the radiator and some bolt heads so I can get the hood latch assembled.

I'm waiting for my bro-in-law to finish powder coating the hood hinges and a few other parts, but will use a spare set I have in case I can get it back in the paint booth sooner than that. Should be mounting the fenders up in a couple days.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #573
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Good news, I found a plastic grocery bag in the garage attic that had my broke push rod with the boot on it. It was new a few years ago and in good shape.

So I got the brake mostly hooked back up. Just need to connect the push rod to the booster linkage, then bleed everything.

One sticking point today was not being able to find these pieces, which I got at the local junkyard. Easier than tearing the garage apart to look for them, if I didn't throw them out by mistake.

And I finally got started running the new fuel line. The old one will be used as a return line. This is my best option for the fuel pump placement. It's as low as I can go without it hanging below the frame and as far back as I can go to have it as close to the tank as possible. The biggest pain is having to replace the tube clamps to ones that will hold the extra tube. I'm using 3/8" aluminum tubing BTW.

And for the heck of it I slipped this grey dash pad on to see how it looked. This was the color of interior I originally planned for it. Then I came across a GMC that had this color paint with a turquoise interior. I took all of the interior out of it I could use because I liked the look of it. There are a couple problems though. First, the wife isn't thrilled about the turquoise vinyl. Second, I don't have a complete set and finding the rest of a matching set is turning out to be more difficult than I ever thought it would be. I have pieces that should match, but don't, etc. So we may go grey, maybe black, maybe a mix of them with custom door panels to blend it together. And she is also talking about using an original style bench seat now. Anywho, we'll just leave it at undecided for the interior. If anyone has an opinion, please share.

And a final shot. It's coming together.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #574
VA72C10
VA72C10

nice progress! I'm glad you found the brake grommet. I checked ebay for you and none now....but the last completed sale was a cracked old one that sold for $60

Makes me want to sell the one I got from wes and wait for his repros
Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #575
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
nice progress! I'm glad you found the brake grommet. I checked ebay for you and none now....but the last completed sale was a cracked old one that sold for $60

Makes me want to sell the one I got from wes and wait for his repros
I found these and almost completed the sale, but the shipping charges I thought were rediculous, so I backed out.
http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx?ProductId=195