The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #601
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: My 1965 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer View Post
Been there done that. 3 or 4 days of those hours and then all of the sudden whammmm the 5th day day its like a load of bricks smacking you down.
I've been doing this sleep pattern for about 6 months or longer. I do get more rest on the weekends. It does eventually beat you down. Heck, I'm still sick and going out to try to get something done.

I have a question for ya'll. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be nuts welded here or does bolts go thru it into something else? It's the headlight mount panel if you can't tell by the pic. I remember grinding something off when I tore it down a year and a half ago. I can't remember what goes here.

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #602
Strodder
Daring to be Different

With nice big holes, it doesn't look like there should be nut welded to that panel. Most likely a bolt through with a fender washers. ?? ??
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #603
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

it should mount to the radiator core support
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #604
jason65
Registerd User

I think they are for braces that stabilize the bottom of the grill support. I'd get you a pic but my truck is at the body shop. You should have two 4 1/2" or so brackets. I think.

Last edited by jason65; 02-25-2009 at 10:16 PM.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #605
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
With nice big holes, it doesn't look like there should be nut welded to that panel. Most likely a bolt through with a fender washers. ?? ??
I'll agree with that. It's too clean of a hole to have a nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason65 View Post
I think they are for braces that stabilize the bottom of the grill support. I'd get you a pic but my truck is at the body shop. You should have two 4 1/2" or so brackets. I think.
I remember those brackets now that you mentioned them, now the question is "Where did I put them"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh64pkup View Post
it should mount to the radiator core support
Thanks, If someone has a pic or gets one I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #606
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

so how exactly are you going to french those 59 cad lights in... ?
I am wondering because if you do them the way I think, there might be a way to hide the fuel filler behind one of them.....
and if nobody else posts before me I will get you a pic of the rad support at daybreak....
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #607
Barebones66

this what your looking for ?
Attached Images

1st project 66 SWB
Dave

Last edited by Barebones66; 02-25-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Barebones66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #608
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
so how exactly are you going to french those 59 cad lights in... ?
I am wondering because if you do them the way I think, there might be a way to hide the fuel filler behind one of them.....
and if nobody else posts before me I will get you a pic of the rad support at daybreak....
If I do the lights, I was going to get a piece of 3 1/2" exhaust pipe and sink it in where the OE light is now but more to the side. So the pipe would be tapered into the side of the bed a little. The problem I see is the light is 6" long. I need access to the back side of it. To do so I will have to make the rear bedside post deeper with a accesss panel. To access the TL mount and wiring. It's still in the thinking stages. I did some quick measurements and that is what I see so far.

As far as the headlight mount panel pix, I'd like to have one with it assembled to the radiator support for referrence. Especially the lower center attachment. I know it is simple, but I thought someone might have a pic handy. Don't go to any trouble getting one. I can probably go to LMC and get a decent pic. I tried from work today but I was blocked. Scratch the LMC idea I just chcked it out and they didn't have a good IPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barebones66 View Post
this what your looking for ?
I think I got that one.

A little got done tonight. I was able to repair the area I messed up. BTW it was all done above the floor support so the repair is not noticeable from underneath.

Also transfered the washer over. Still have to do the otherside.

The battery box was test fitted. Need to do a little manipulaton there as well. Two holes don't line up.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #609
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

that taillight idea is what I was thinking that you were thinking....
So here is the idea: make the inside bed panel as wide as the stake post. maybe all the way to the wheel tub, for asthetics.
then run your fuel filler right up to the back of the taillight, set the light up so that it pulls out from the rear of the truck so that you can acces the fuel filler.
I just built one like this for my dads 55 chev car. there is also a guy on here building a blazer that did one similar to this idea...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #610
Barebones66

I think I got that one.

Note to self : Never post when it's past your bedtime

1st project 66 SWB
Dave
Barebones66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #611
Alan's Classic

Quote:
that taillight idea is what I was thinking that you were thinking....
So here is the idea: make the inside bed panel as wide as the stake post. maybe all the way to the wheel tub, for asthetics.
then run your fuel filler right up to the back of the taillight, set the light up so that it pulls out from the rear of the truck so that you can acces the fuel filler.
I just built one like this for my dads 55 chev car. there is also a guy on here building a blazer that did one similar to this idea...
Thanks Jon. I'm trying to viualize this.

Quote:
set the light up so that it pulls out from the rear of the truck so that you can acces the fuel filler.
Do you have any more info on this or pix. I can't get this mental pic in my head.

BTW note to self get more rest when sick. It came back with a vengance this morning.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #612
joe231

yeah man, get some rest!!
we need you in tip-top shape!!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #613
Alan's Classic

Thought I would try to get something small done before I get some rest. I'm trying to change the signal switch on the column. I really haven't had with the columns lately. I'm trying to get the piece below the switch out. Anyone been there and done that? The switches are different in only one way that I can see. The one that needs to be changed has the shift indicator light. I can live without it (I think). I tried to find some numbers on the old switch so I can get a new one, but I need to figure out how to get that piece out so I can get the wire connector down thru the column. I got the old one out because someone cut the plug off.

Exploded parts view

The only difference I see is circled. It's the light socket for the indicator.

This is the piece I need out

Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #614
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

K here are a couple of shots...
your rad support should have three nuts welded to the inside of the chanel . they bolt in from underneth the truck.(pic 1)

I traced out the box idea I was talking about (pic 2)

I brought the short stuff blazer thread btt, post # 35 has the gas door idea...
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #615
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Thought I would try to get something small done before I get some rest. I'm trying to change the signal switch on the column. I really haven't had with the columns lately. I'm trying to get the piece below the switch out. Anyone been there and done that? The switches are different in only one way that I can see. The one that needs to be changed has the shift indicator light. I can live without it (I think). I tried to find some numbers on the old switch so I can get a new one, but I need to figure out how to get that piece out so I can get the wire connector down thru the column. I got the old one out because someone cut the plug off.

Exploded parts view

The only difference I see is circled. It's the light socket for the indicator.

This is the piece I need out
your just trying to get the wire through???
what plug is it?
you should be able to pop the terminals out of the plug, just be sure to write what wire went where, maybe take some pics too
Old 02-27-2009, 04:39 AM   #616
FreeRideYZ250

Quote:
your rad support should have three nuts welded to the inside of the chanel . they bolt in from underneth the truck.(pic 1)

My fuel filler is in a the same location. I have a tank out of a 55-57 chevy car, and the filler is out of a 56 I believe. We cut and welded it, so it came up in between the outer bed skirt and the inner bed skirt. I have a 6" x 6" square cut out there now, however on the other bed sides I have I will weld in a square fuel fill door.

Will post pictures for anyone, just say I.

Last edited by FreeRideYZ250; 02-27-2009 at 04:41 AM.
FreeRideYZ250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #617
joe231

I
Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #618
FreeRideYZ250

I'll get some this afternoon.
FreeRideYZ250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #619
Alan's Classic

Quote:

Thanks Jon, do you have a pic of the materials you bought at Ace to build the hide-a-way tail light that you talked about in the "Short stuff Blazer thread".

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
your just trying to get the wire through???
what plug is it?
you should be able to pop the terminals out of the plug, just be sure to write what wire went where, maybe take some pics too
Boy you can tell I ain't right in the head (more than usual) since I've been beat down. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I've done that 100's of times at work. I need to get a replacement switch. The one I was going to use is cracked where the turn signal lever screws into. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRideYZ250 View Post
My fuel filler is in a the same location. I have a tank out of a 55-57 chevy car, and the filler is out of a 56 I believe. We cut and welded it, so it came up in between the outer bed skirt and the inner bed skirt. I have a 6" x 6" square cut out there now, however on the other bed sides I have I will weld in a square fuel fill door.

Will post pictures for anyone, just say I.
I.............I'm always open to new ideas.

Quote:
I
Old 02-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #620
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

I
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #621
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I will get a pic of the setup..
my dads bodyman had already built a housing to house the fuel filler behind the taillight, all I did was buy a steel rod, and a steel tube from ace, the rod fit perfect inside the tube, I cut the tube to 9 inches, and the rod is 15 inches, then I welded a lugnut to the end (for a stopper). It all fits quite snug, the rod and tube are metal on metal, but I suppose that you could surround the exposed part (when the door is closed) with a bigger tube, and the put a grease zerk on it , and fill it up with grease, I will do that with my dads if there is an issue of surface rust binding up the slide... but we have almost no humidity up here, so that won't be too much of a problem....

I will have to get you some pics of the mechanism.. right now it is installed on his car at his house, so it might be over the week end.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #622
Alan's Classic

Quote:
I will get a pic of the setup..
my dads bodyman had already built a housing to house the fuel filler behind the taillight, all I did was buy a steel rod, and a steel tube from ace, the rod fit perfect inside the tube, I cut the tube to 9 inches, and the rod is 15 inches, then I welded a lugnut to the end (for a stopper). It all fits quite snug, the rod and tube are metal on metal, but I suppose that you could surround the exposed part (when the door is closed) with a bigger tube, and the put a grease zerk on it , and fill it up with grease, I will do that with my dads if there is an issue of surface rust binding up the slide... but we have almost no humidity up here, so that won't be too much of a problem....

I will have to get you some pics of the mechanism.. right now it is installed on his car at his house, so it might be over the week end.
Thanks Jon, looking forward to the pix

We are really slow at work. It's getting pretty scary. It's slowest it's been in 5 years. Got a little done today while at work. Repaired a few areas on the headlight mount panel. For the most part it was in really good shape.

And primed

Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #623
ol Curt

Quote:
I couldn't stand it I had to go to the shop and do something. Threw in the new (used) tilt to see what all needs to be done to it to get it mounted. I am wondering if it needs to come toward the seat a little more. It's at a comfortable position like it is. If ya'll see something that I am missing let me know.

Like I said before I need to rewire it. I have a donor column that is not a tilt. Will the turn signal assy transfer over even if it is going from a non tilt to a tilt?

gearbox to column alignment pic

It looks like the shaft is sticking out more than usual.

Like I said before, I messed up on the Rt front cab mount area and I don't know how. Can't blame it on alcohol, cause I don't drink. It really doesn't matter I still have to fix it. The bolt is where it needs to be.

Alan,

I was just going on here to see how you moved that mounting hole on the other side. Mine looks like it is a 1/2" off. Didn't you have to do that, or am I dreaming?

Bob
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #624
joe231

Quote:

Boy you can tell I ain't right in the head (more than usual) since I've been beat down. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I've done that 100's of times at work. I need to get a replacement switch. The one I was going to use is cracked where the turn signal lever screws into. Thanks for the enlightenment.
yeah, i was looking at your post and was like

thought I was missing something

Quote:
Thanks Jon, looking forward to the pix

We are really slow at work. It's getting pretty scary. It's slowest it's been in 5 years. Got a little done today while at work. Repaired a few areas on the headlight mount panel. For the most part it was in really good shape.

And primed
Damn man, that thing looks so SLICK!!!
nice work
Old 02-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #625
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
Alan,

I was just going on here to see how you moved that mounting hole on the other side. Mine looks like it is a 1/2" off. Didn't you have to do that, or am I dreaming?

Bob
Bob, I think i understand your question. Yes I ended up moving both sides about 1/2". I caught the drivers side while I was working on it. The passenger side which was the first one I did, I didn't catch it until I sat the cab on. The gap in the pic looks to be bigger than 1/2" but it's not. I cut a piece out around the hole as you can see and spun the piece around until I got the best alignment. Then cut out the piece it overlapped and moved the piece I cut out to the other side to fill in the void. It worked out really well.

Quote:
yeah, i was looking at your post and was like

thought I was missing something

Damn man, that thing looks so SLICK!!!
nice work
I'm telling you what, I felt horrible. My mind couldn't focus. Feel 70% better now. Thanks for the compliment.

I priced a 1979 G1500 Van turn signal swith assy from Auto zone $79.95. They actually had a picture of it in the computer and looked to be the same. I expected about $20. So I had to pass. I called Chevy and my cost was $85. Going to reconsider my options.

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 02-27-2009 at 10:01 PM.