The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #601
LVPhotos

Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

Fab electric fan brackets round two. Worked but not the way I planned. Wanted to hide radiator tabs under u-chanel, no dice, so outside it is. Can do better with new material now that I have a good solid piece in place.
Flex-a-lite Black Magic #188 w/o controller or #180 with. 3300 cfm
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #602
Grizz1963

The G is where this started......

Look for the G Spot.

Look for Gillingham, the look at the top of the capital G and that is approximately where we live........

Over the weekend I looked out for a set of Chevy Rallye wheels in 6 stud, 15" flavour at the NSRA Swapmeet. NO LUCK.

I had been keeping an eye open the last year or so on Evilbay and various forums, in case a full set came up for sale.

So in a fit of desperation I posted a "Wanted" ad on Rods n Sods last night, amazingly I got a PM soon after from a member, offering a full set with chrome trim rings and centre caps, was I interested??

Two emails, loads of photos later I went to bed after a price was offered.

This morning I had spoken to 4 different people and emailed a couple in the USA to get an idea of price, called the seller and agreed to his full price.

By 11.30 I had spoken to my boss and signed a half day leave, then left from Romford the Blue Dot on the map, where I was working to go down to Clacton on Sea, the Red Dot to collect the wheels.

By the time I got there, I was greeted by Gary, a long term rodder and super nice guy, and this.....

An hour chatting, cuppa tea and Gary helping me (well he did most of the loading) get them in the back of the car, and and I was on my way.

Back home, time to be pleased with my purchase and figure out how to explain to Nicola why I needed another set of wheels, and now need another new set of tyres when I can afford it. The narrow white walls from the chrome smoothies are doing onto the Rallyes and the chrome smoothies will be getting some 3" white walls.

One of them close up.

The tyres that are coming off are almost new, but only good for rolling projects around on or building an organic garden in, but will be going up for sale as soon as I get them off.

I guess the last thing to mention is that when Nicola came in, I sat her down and had a long discussion with her.... Well it went something like "I may have spent some money" and her reply was "Does it have wheels?" To which my reply was obviously "Who told you? Martin?" So she just reminded me that we needed to buy a lottery ticket on Friday evening.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #603
Joe Pass

Better get that lotto ticket,....She's a keeper
Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #604
jeff dunn

Test fit my new race line wheels
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #605
jeff dunn

Another pic
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #606
mikesC10

Nice choice Jeff! What are the specs like wheels size and backspacing? Which rear diff are you running? Any help would be great as I'm trying to get some wheel ideas for my build. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #607
jeff dunn

they are 20 x 10.5 with 5.125 back spacing, fender wells are stock and tubs are to.
295/40/20 nexens on rear
275/40/20 nexans front 9 inch x 20 4.250 bs
Old 03-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #608
Grizz1963

Took the trims, centre caps off the wheels tonight.

Mate Jabbo will be collecting them all at 05.30 tomorrow morning, removing the tyres and disposing of them for me by lunch time, delivering the naked wheels later in the week on his way to work.

Martin, always being helpful has suggested I get the wheels blasted and powder coated at £50.00 wheel, including fitting new tyres (well, the ones of the chrome smoothies)

Will check out if the price is sensible first before jumping at the opportunity.

With Paul Y over next weekend to sandblast (well, walnut shells) all his suspension parts etc, Martin and I assembled the blasting cabinet I bought the end of last year, this week.

Word of warning, it was bought from a large importer who supplies others and just adds their badging, but when we unpacked it, most of the paint had blistered, so if you scratch or push on the paint, it flakes off badly.
I just could not be bothered with exchanging it as it would probably mean taking time off to get the new unit delivered and this one collected.

Still, it is ready to work.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #609
revjames

Made my own floor pan piece. It turned out good. I made it out of 18gauge sheet
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2015, 11:24 PM   #610
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Bought another truck today!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 PM   #611
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Bought another truck today!
As the saying goes . . . "without pictures . . . it never happened!" Let's see what you bought!

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 PM   #612
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
As the saying goes . . . "without pictures . . . it never happened!" Let's see what you bought!

Pictures tomorrow when I get it home!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:08 AM   #613
bcontractor

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
This...
great welds bro !!nice work...
Old 03-07-2015, 11:42 PM   #614
Lugnutz65

This is only one of several repairs I did today on my original PS door. New door skin will go on in April. I had to patch damage made at the upper window frame from where a mirror bracket had been.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:51 AM   #615
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
This is only one of several repairs I did today on my original PS door. New door skin will go on in April. I had to patch damage made at the upper window frame from where a mirror bracket had been.
like it never happen'd, nice work !!!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:56 AM   #616
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
like it never happen'd, nice work !!!
prep' these parts. top row will be clear coated to save the original cast iron look, bottom row will be painted shiny black and then clear coated. used my electrolysis tank to remove all traces of rust, wire wheel'd them, soap and water, more wire wheel, them grease and wax remover. painting bright and early...
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2015, 03:04 AM   #617
pimpston65

parts i already painted, just need to rebuild the starter and alt, all NOS parts of course. just need to prep the carb, oil bath air cleaner and ac bracket, paint the block and head, then... break out the torque wrench!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2015, 03:47 AM   #618
Grizz1963

Quote:
parts i already painted, just need to rebuild the starter and alt, all NOS parts of course. just need to prep the carb, oil bath air cleaner and ac bracket, paint the block and head, then... break out the torque wrench!!!
Moving on fast buddy !!

My wheels are now naked and ready for Powder coating, thanks to another friend, Scot removing the old tyres.

Last edited by Grizz1963; 03-08-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #619
Lugnutz65

Quote:
prep' these parts. top row will be clear coated to save the original cast iron look, bottom row will be painted shiny black and then clear coated. used my electrolysis tank to remove all traces of rust, wire wheel'd them, soap and water, more wire wheel, them grease and wax remover. painting bright and early...
Your manifold will eventually show rust from the repeated intense heat and cooling. A product call Calyx can help it keep that cast iron look. It's a cream that's designed for the very purpose of making a manifold look new. It is not affected by heat. Easy to apply and only requires a touch up now and then. If I were to guess what the cream is made from, I'd say it's some sort of non-flammable cream with graphite powder in it. Anyway, here are my un-painted manifolds. You can see in the 4th photo that it needs a little touchup. The 3rd photo has Calyx applied on the left half compared to the bare cleaned cast iron on the right half.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #620
rudyyloverboiii

Pimpston65 that looks beautiful! What size is thr inline six?
Old 03-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #621
pimpston65

Lugnutz65, cool product. i painted my exhaust with 2000degree high temp clear. im sure it will break down over time. i just wanted to try something different. i would try it on my cast parts, maybe next build???
Old 03-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #622
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyyloverboiii View Post
Pimpston65 that looks beautiful! What size is thr inline six?
292, should have gone 250 then i would't need to move the motor mount and per GM of canada thats what came in there, should have done my homework!!! oh well, im happy with it...
Old 03-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #623
rudyyloverboiii

I also have a 292 on my 64. I would like to clean it out and regasket everything n paint it also. It looks good man.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #624
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyyloverboiii View Post
I also have a 292 on my 64. I would like to clean it out and regasket everything n paint it also. It looks good man.
thks, i bought the 292 for $100. had it totally redone new head,piston over bore, the works. all before i got the suburban, it was stuck in canada dealing with customs crap. all i knew was it had a pontiac 283, that wasnt original. so i research'd and 292 kept coming up as the engine to have so thats what i went with, now since my build is here and an NOS beast i would have saw the mounts and got a 250, also in canada gm has a place you can get info on older vehicles so i got that info and sure enough my burban came with a 250, oh well... do you have a build thread?
Old 03-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #625
Grizz1963

Paint on the frame dried, I mounted the blasting cabinet on it this morning and grinned when I pushed it outside.

Easy easy.......

Mate Martin was going to come and supervise the primer and masking up of the screen frame.

Of course nothing goes to plan.

So, the spot blaster for the small rust sports did not quite do the job getting into all the crevices.

Martin's ongoing insistence (read badgering) that I could not paint rust, eventually meant we agreed to stop wasting time and I will get his blasting pot this week, and do the rust everywhere on the cab before prep, filler, etc.

So to his great joy, I agreed to remove the doors..... It really made me feel like there is no going back, but of course it makes sense as the glass in the doors will not do well with random blast media hitting it.

After Martin left, I tidied up and removed the bench seat as well.

Now things will have to start happening, looking at all the other projects around me progress, this job will not do itself.

Lottery win anyone??
Closed Thread