The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #626
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Looking good!! When do you plan to paint this one?
As soon as its ready. You volunteering to come help? I would like to get the dash and windshield frame painted soon, like before April.

Here's the plan: The next area for rust repair I'll be looking at is the rockers and floor/kick panels hard. Sandblast and see what needs fixed there. Then I'll do the door repairs as needed. Once the doors are ready I'll paint the inside of those and jamb it. The tailgate just needs to be stripped to make sure there's no surprises, then a little body work and paint prep. I might do the spray in bed liner at this point. The fenders still need some hammer work, then fill and sand to prep. The hood is great, should not need much work. Just going to clean and scuff the insides of those, primer, seal and spray the insides. Then re-install the front sheetmetal and the outside of the body will be ready to spray.

I would be thrilled for it to be painted by Memorial weekend, which in reality means it might be memorial weekend 2013. What I do know is it will at least be one shade of primer for the summer. There is a lot of work that needs to be done to get it ready for paint. My kids both do spring sports, I have to get time available in the paint booth for the main body paint. Jambing it, the dash, windshield frame, inner doors, etc. I can do in the garage. Inside of the tub bed liner will be done here also. It just depends on how much time I can put into it and what level my motivation is at. Don't forget I still have some things to finish on my C-10 also.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #627
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

One step closer. Finally sprayed some epoxy primer on the bedside to seal it up.

Driver side rocker has some rust in it. Might end up replacing the whole thing.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #628
71swb4x4

WOW!!! That has to feel good.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #629
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good! Do you have a current tally on this one? You were keeping it to the penny for a while there
Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #630
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
WOW!!! That has to feel good.
Just a quicky job but it is progress. Some of that will be cleaned off for some repairs yet, like the bottom front of the wheel arch, and the rear bottom by the bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looking good! Do you have a current tally on this one? You were keeping it to the penny for a while there
I hadn't updated the total for a while because I really haven't spent much on it. I was at $3417 after selling some parts, the vac/tach upgrade cost me $60, then $20 for the lift blocks and $5 for the steel to make the windshield patch. New total is $3502. It's a good thing I have some left over bodywork materials from my truck build, because primer and sandpaper can add up fast.

Punch list (in no particular order, * for priority items):
*finish bedside body work
Find GMC tailgate
*Finish roll bar install
seat covers (got 'em, not installed)
Al's liner inside of tub
mark/drill holes for single wall top in bed rails
*fix dent on driver side fender
*finish body work on fenders
*body work on hood
*body work on doors
sandblast and paint front bumper
electric fan install (got it, need controller)
*tranny o-rings and kickdown cable
*new e-brake cables installed (got them)
*adjust rear brakes
*change fluid in both differentials
*rear lift blocks (got them)
heater install
*repair windshield frame (almost done)
*replace windshield
wiper washer pump
*finish and install gauge cluster (need bezel, paint job sux and its cracked)
*make sure wire for gas gauge is hooked up to sender
manual throttle
glove box (need to buy)
*lights, lights and more lights
*tranny cooler lines
hammer out dents in grill
*seat belts (have them)
door panels, dash pad, visors, etc. (have them, need paint, cleaning, etc.)
stereo (have most of it)
paint, well eventually (custom gold)
Old 03-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #631
beonkey

Great build and what an inspiration you are to all of us trying to make a good looking truck on a budget. Awesome work and I can't wait to see what your next find is!
Posted via Mobile Device
beonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #632
lyrikz
PITbut

Awesome man. I really wish i built a jimmy instead of my pickup. Oh well.. My trucks almost done. Finishing up the interior now.

Cant wait to see this thing painted.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #633
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beonkey View Post
Great build and what an inspiration you are to all of us trying to make a good looking truck on a budget. Awesome work and I can't wait to see what your next find is!
Thanks, I wish I had found one as straight and solid as yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Awesome man. I really wish i built a jimmy instead of my pickup. Oh well.. My trucks almost done. Finishing up the interior now.

Cant wait to see this thing painted.
Just have to do like I did and build both. Now you will have one to drive and enjoy while the other is being built.

I was looking at the summit tools catalog that came in the mail today and saw that one of the golds they have is real close to what I'm after. I happened to have the color charts from them from when I was doing the C-10 build and sure enough, the Mayan Gold is an almost perfect match. What's even better is that it's only $89 a gallon, where the body shop paint was going to set me back between $600 and $750 a gallon. Perfect for this budget build.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-UP315/

Last edited by hgs_notes; 03-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #634
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work on the Jimmy! It sure is coming a long nice. That price is pretty good on the paint. I just spent $250 on a gallon of single stage, reducer, and activator. That's the second gallon and better be the last for this truck.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #635
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This morning I woke up determined to put the windshield frame repairs behind me. I needed to cut out and repair another spot of rust on the driver side. I did spread some of the rust converter in there when it was open.

Hole... cornholio

I had a piece of strap I used for my first test of the shrinker/stretcher to use for the patch. It was an almost perfect fit. A little trimming, more welding and grinding, an no more cornholio...

With that part done all that was left was bonding the pinch weld or gasket flange back together. I used some screwdrivers as spacers along the bottom to open the gap enough for me to inject some panel adhesive in there, pulled them out as I went along, a few clamps in place and now I just wait for it to cure. Should be sealed up tight and stronger than original. I could have drilled holes and spot welded it, but just think this method has more benefits.

So onward we go. I ordered a quart of paint and clear, should be enough to do the dash, windshield frame, jamb it, and probably tint the al's liner. I ordered al's liner for doing the bed of my C-10. If I like how it goes and from what I've read, I think I will, I'll order some more for the jimmy. I should be able to get the inside of the tub and windshield frame completely in color fairly soon. Which means I can put the insides all together, install the windshield and make it a driver while I keep chipping away at the rest of the bodywork.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #636
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Great work!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #637
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks Ryan. I almost forgot to mention that I also primered the push bar this morning. Going to go blacked out on the grill, bumpers, pushbar, trim, emblems, etc.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #638
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That'll look awesome over gold!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #639
lyrikz
PITbut

You will absolutely love the als liner. I have used it twice, and i used to do linex and it is damn close to as good.

Some tips, you need a BIG compressor. The gun runs almost full blast the whole time. And the best tip, the lighter you pull the trigger the rougher the finish is. When i put it on the bottom of my cab it dang near came out smooth. But i was full trigger the whole time. when i did my bed and my core support i was light on the trigger and it looks almost identical to linex.

Plus, i have spilled brake fluid, tranny, coolant, oil and no issues. No discoloration. Also, i bang on it all the time when laying my tools on it. Love that stuff.

Oh, and if you didnt want to spend the money for the gun, you could use mine.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #640
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice work!!! coming together nicely!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #641
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I hadn't updated the total for a while because I really haven't spent much on it. I was at $3417 after selling some parts, the vac/tach upgrade cost me $60, then $20 for the lift blocks and $5 for the steel to make the windshield patch. New total is $3502.
Awesome! You're going to have a really nice Jimmy for a relatively small investment!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #642
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
You will absolutely love the als liner. I have used it twice, and i used to do linex and it is damn close to as good.

Some tips, you need a BIG compressor. The gun runs almost full blast the whole time. And the best tip, the lighter you pull the trigger the rougher the finish is. When i put it on the bottom of my cab it dang near came out smooth. But i was full trigger the whole time. when i did my bed and my core support i was light on the trigger and it looks almost identical to linex.

Plus, i have spilled brake fluid, tranny, coolant, oil and no issues. No discoloration. Also, i bang on it all the time when laying my tools on it. Love that stuff.

Oh, and if you didnt want to spend the money for the gun, you could use mine.
Harbor freight has a gun for $25 I'm picking up today, but thanks for the offer. Thank you for the tips on spraying it too, nobody has really posted that info from my reading. I also got the rubber dust additive to roughen the texture. My bed has some pitting and I'm hoping the texture will hide it a bit.

Quote:
Nice work!!! coming together nicely!
Quote:
Awesome! You're going to have a really nice Jimmy for a relatively small investment!
Thanks, my youngest daughter came out to the garage yesterday to ask me for a ride somewhere (car) then asked if I would "give" her the Jimmy when I'm done.

Yesterday afternoon I got some more time in the shop and felt like "rewarding" myself with some mechanical work after all the bodywork lately (it gets old). I wanted to get the lift blocks in, so I got back under it with my little propane torch and impact gun. I've sprayed the bolts several times with pb blaster and used the impact, and used a breaker bar with an extension on the handle, they would not budge. I wanted to save the u bolts if possible because I thought they would fit with the short blocks. Anyway, the heat worked enough to get the nuts off, and I got the driver side block in. The bolts are about 3/16" short of full thread engagement. Good enough for the short term, but it looks like I'll be doing a U-bolt swap fairly soon.

Since I had the wheel off I decided to work on the brakes a bit. I had new e-brake cables to install and the rear drums were not grabbing at all. So I pulled half the brake shoes apart again to get the new cable installed. The old one was kind of a PITA to get out, rusted up pretty bad. I banged it with a hammer and chisel, and my air chisel to loosen it up. Once I could rotate the cable I could get the little tangs that hold it pushed in and out it came. Then I painted the drum with some rustoleum. I'll get one of my helpers to push the brake pedal today and see if I can get the adjustment done so I have rear brakes. Still need to do the passenger side of course.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #643
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work. I quit trying to re use u-bolts a while ago. Unless they look really clean or the nuts come loose fairly easily. That's one thing that's really expensive now too. U-Bolts! They can be crazy expensive for a long one.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #644
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice work. I quit trying to re use u-bolts a while ago. Unless they look really clean or the nuts come loose fairly easily. That's one thing that's really expensive now too. U-Bolts! They can be crazy expensive for a long one.
Yep, about $20 each.

I need to find out where the front part of the new rear e-brake cable mounts. If someone could post a pic or link I'd appreciate it. For now it is connected to the mid cable and just hanging there.

I picked up a new driver side rocker panel from horkeys today. $30 and he had it in stock. It was on my way home from a work visit in Spirit Lake. No good GMC tailgates though. When I got home I got my youngest helper out to push the brake pedal up and down. I bled the one side and never in my life had I gotten so much air out of a brake line. Incredibly bad. So the driver side is done (except finishig the e-brake cable) and to finish off the day I painted the dum on the passenger side so it can cure for a day or so. Will work on the u-bolts next for that side and get the new cable in, bleed it and finally have it all working again.

Then back to the body work, blech.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #645
ChevyMutt

It has taken me two days to read this entire thread... WOW is about all I can say!! You have done a phenomenal job on a shoe string budget! This is inspiring to say the least, and you have SO MANY talents!!

Great job, can't wait to see the progress!
Originally built by my Dad & Brother in late 90's early 00's. I bought the truck in summer of 11; dad & brother put new box sides on, and surprised me with a new paint job. Jan of 12 the float stuck in the carb and she burned... The truck is back in MI now and being re-built AGAIN by my Dad & Brother.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...8633&protype=1
ChevyMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #646
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMutt View Post
It has taken me two days to read this entire thread... WOW is about all I can say!! You have done a phenomenal job on a shoe string budget! This is inspiring to say the least, and you have SO MANY talents!!

Great job, can't wait to see the progress!
Thanks a lot! I just went back to the beginning, almost 5 years have gone by. There is very little of that initial truck left here. Plans change and my skills have expanded since back then. I learned a lot on my C-10 build and that experience is making this build much easier. Basically jumping off the ledge into the bodywork got me over the hump to try just about anything.

Just got a delivery from UPS for my beginning of paint supplies. Can't wait to spray some on and see how it looks. Also just took a hard look at the passenger side rocker and decided I should have just bought that part new yesterday while I was at Horkeys. It's not that bad, but it's just easier to swap out the $30 part than spend extra time patching the rust areas in what I have. Oh well, not like they are hard to get.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #647
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Tonight I got the passenger side done for adding the lift block and getting the brakes sorted out. The rear cables for the e-brake mount up into a bracket on the inside of the frame rail. I had a hard time spotting it because my mufflers were in the way of the view. Just need to add the little spring clips on them to lock them in place and adjust the cable and my brake job is finally done.

I ordered a fan controller today because it was on sale for about $22. Might not get installed for a while, but who knows. The summit paint will not work as a tint for the Als Liner because it has binders included. They (Als Liner rep) say it will either curdle or be streaky and leave a nasty surface, so I'll have to have some color mixed up without binders. I considered using black, but with the top off it would always be dirty and hot. Mixing some color will be worth it. Knocked a few items off the list...

Punch list (in no particular order, * for priority items):
*finish bedside body work
*Finish roll bar install
*fix dent on driver side fender
*finish body work on fenders
*body work on hood
*body work on doors
*tranny o-rings and kickdown cable
*change fluid in both differentials
*replace windshield
*finish and install gauge cluster (need bezel, paint job sux and its cracked)
*make sure wire for gas gauge is hooked up to sender
*lights, lights and more lights
*tranny cooler lines
*seat belts (have them)
seat covers (got 'em, not installed)
Al's liner inside of tub
Find GMC tailgate
mark/drill holes for single wall top in bed rails
sandblast and paint front bumper
electric fan install (got it, ordered controller)
heater install
wiper washer pump
manual throttle
glove box (need to buy)
hammer out dents in grill
door panels, dash pad, visors, etc. (have them, need paint, cleaning, etc.)
stereo (have most of it)
paint, well eventually (mayan gold metallic)

Last edited by hgs_notes; 03-08-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #648
VA72C10
VA72C10

I admire how you are making at least some progress every week and seems like almost every single night for a while now!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #649
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I admire how you are making at least some progress every week and seems like almost every single night for a while now!
Will be a bit slower the next week or more because of work and also finishing up some loose ends on the C-10, but here's where I'm at now. I started cutting out the rockers. I have most of the passenger side out, just need to separate the bottom pinch weld. There is a little rust on the top part of the inner, but I should be able to fix with a small patch. Depends on what I find once the whole thing is off.

Here's a shot of my extra parts storage, or as I like to call it, wall art. It was a little awkward getting it up there, but my walls are getting full, not a lot of space left. Need a bigger garage.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #650
71swb4x4

Hurry up and finish the pickup already. I want some more Blazer progress pictures!!