The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #51
BurnoutNova

Re: Project... Tinker !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 68327 View Post
Yup They acted like since I didn't have a shop with my name on it or I wasn't what they call a "professional" I must be a automatic retard !!! So I felt that people like that don't need my money!!! Bob
not to stir somthing up or point fingers, BUT didnt your motor have alot of other probleoms to? maybe on that could of cause the cam to have probleoms. were there metal shaving in the oil?
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #52
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

I havent drained the oil but last time I changed it, it didnt have any
And it has ran the same since I owned it

I had gotten it hot one night & thats why I stopped driving it, but that wouldnt round the lobes off like that... or at least not that quick

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #53
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
I havent drained the oil but last time I changed it, it didnt have any
And it has ran the same since I owned it

I had gotten it hot one night & thats why I stopped driving it, but that wouldnt round the lobes off like that... or at least not that quick
Sorry I wanst more specific, but that last question was directed towards bob68327

But, what might be the case of your probleom could be when the cam was swapped the lifters got mixed up? About how many miles or how old was the motor/ cam? Im sure it wasnt purely from normal wear, just becasue of the other lobes still being in good shape.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #54
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
not to stir somthing up or point fingers, BUT didnt your motor have alot of other probleoms to? maybe on that could of cause the cam to have probleoms. were there metal shaving in the oil?
It had crank issues . The cam lobes don't get oil from the mains . Yes there was metal in the oil but the cam lost enough of it there had to be . I don't care about that motor anymore it just gives me a headache!! On to bigger and better things . Like i said before I wasn't saying all comp cams are junk!!! I just had a bad experience . Let's leave it at that !! Have a Nice Day !! Bob

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

2002 Buick century ... Kids

2002 K1500 Z-71 EXT CAB ... Daily Driver

2005 Rockwood Roo ... For Camping

1974 Harley-Davidson XLH Sportster 84'' stroker
Bob 68327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:06 AM   #55
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Quote:
Bob, Im there with you

Its the only comp Ive ever ran & it sure doesnt make me want another one... Im not saying my brother couldnt have done something wrong, but I highly doubt it
I mean, hes about as picky / pefectionist as I am on engines & I dont think he would have just been a "Auto Retard"

I called Lunati & had a great experience with them... I called TALKED TO A PERSON, then that person tranfered me to ANOTHER PERSON !!!!
Great deal
I did call back later & the time between the first person & the second person was a lot longer than the INSTANT transfer I got the first time, but it sure beats the heck out of a lot of other companies that you have to have a user manual to get through the Auto system

BTW Bob, I showed you 2 cams... the 00017 & the 00010
Which one did you like better ???

Im thinking the 00010 even tho its prolly a lil big for my engine, it should be sweet
Lunati are good people !! I would try the 00010 !!! Bob

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

Old 05-09-2008, 01:33 AM   #56
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Thats what I was leaning towards

Killer
Old 05-09-2008, 03:19 AM   #57
BurnoutNova

Quote:
It had crank issues . The cam lobes don't get oil from the mains . Yes there was metal in the oil but the cam lost enough of it there had to be . I don't care about that motor anymore it just gives me a headache!! On to bigger and better things . Like i said before I wasn't saying all comp cams are junk!!! I just had a bad experience . Let's leave it at that !! Have a Nice Day !! Bob
im sorry, i know its a sore subject but... why did you even call comp if you knew the cam wasnt getting oil? or did you not know this at the time?

i just dont want anyone to badmouth a good company without a good reason.. sorry if this is a sore subject
Old 05-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #58
HoupPhotography

Quote:
im sorry, i know its a sore subject but... why did you even call comp if you knew the cam wasnt getting oil? or did you not know this at the time?

i just dont want anyone to badmouth a good company without a good reason.. sorry if this is a sore subject
Good points and I agree.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 AM   #59
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Quote:

O. K. 1 more time the cam journals get oil from the crankshaft!! The cam bearings in my motor looked like brand new !! The cam lobes do not get oil from the crank they get oil from the rods slinging it . So the flat lobes are not from a lack of oil or the crank not related . I think I also said that I didn't mean comp cams made only junk just that I had a bad experience !! This is why I don't post my thoughts because it gets all twisted and I get fed up ! Bob

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #60
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
This is why I don't post my thoughts because it gets all twisted and I get fed up ! Bob
X 2 !!!!

Killer
Old 05-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #61
BurnoutNova

Quote:
O. K. 1 more time the cam journals get oil from the crankshaft!! The cam bearings in my motor looked like brand new !! The cam lobes do not get oil from the crank they get oil from the rods slinging it . So the flat lobes are not from a lack of oil or the crank not related . I think I also said that I didn't mean comp cams made only junk just that I had a bad experience !! This is why I don't post my thoughts because it gets all twisted and I get fed up ! Bob

sorry, like i said i wasnt trying to start a pissing match.

i'll stop
Old 05-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #62
steelhorse

many engine builders have complained of this problem in recent years.The best reasoning that has been put out there is that all oils have been reformulated to meet todays roller cam motors.Many of the additives that use to be in motor oils have been remove to make the EPA happy.I think zinc is one of the main items removed.Flat tappet cams have higher stress points than roller cams witch is cousing the problem.The best "fix"that I have seen is using Rotella "diesel"oil it still has all of the additives of the older oils.You can buy it in most of the conventional weights IE 15w40 ect.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #63
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
many engine builders have complained of this problem in recent years.The best reasoning that has been put out there is that all oils have been reformulated to meet todays roller cam motors.Many of the additives that use to be in motor oils have been remove to make the EPA happy.I think zinc is one of the main items removed.Flat tappet cams have higher stress points than roller cams witch is cousing the problem.The best "fix"that I have seen is using Rotella "diesel"oil it still has all of the additives of the older oils.You can buy it in most of the conventional weights IE 15w40 ect.
I agree !!!

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

Old 05-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #64
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Quote:
sorry, like i said i wasnt trying to start a pissing match.

i'll stop
Me either !! I'm sorry also !!

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

Old 05-10-2008, 04:10 AM   #65
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Good gosh, what have you done to my thread !!!

Clean it up now, you lil mongrels

Killer
Old 05-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #66
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Well Im currently debating engine stuff

Im still trying to figure out exactly what my compression ratio is, because the other day when i figured it up it was in the 8's & I need more than that

So if I cant figure out a easy way to bump it up, Ima test fire a engine I have laying around & if its ok, then Ima swap it in till I build my 283 how I want it

Killer
Old 05-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #67
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Quote:
Good gosh, what have you done to my thread !!!

Clean it up now, you lil mongrels
I agree man !! I am really sorry about all that it was probably my fault !! I have the right to remain silent !! But I lack the ability!! Sorry again for messin up your thread !! I will pm you when I get home tomorrow and you can give me a ring !! Bob

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

Old 05-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #68
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Quote:

Im still trying to figure out exactly what my compression ratio is, because the other day when i figured it up it was in the 8's & I need more than that

So if I cant figure out a easy way to bump it up, Ima test fire a engine I have laying around & if its ok, then Ima swap it in till I build my 283 how I want it
Sounds like perfect compression for a weind 144 blower !!! It would fit under the hood too !!!!

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #69
BurnoutNova

Quote:

what kind of pistons does it have? they looked like flattops in the picture. and especially with 60cc heads that should be around the 10-10.5 mark, right?

i have 64cc heads on my nova with .125" domes and its supposed to be 11.5:1
Old 05-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #70
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Quote:
what kind of pistons does it have? they looked like flattops in the picture. and especially with 60cc heads that should be around the 10-10.5 mark, right?

i have 64cc heads on my nova with .125" domes and its supposed to be 11.5:1
He has a 283, so it is compressing a lot less volume into the chambers, so it will have a lower compression ratio than a 302 even with the smaller chambers.

Possibly shave the heads to raise the compression? That would cost a few bucks but may bump it up a little bit. 283's are a great sounding engine...I had a buddy with one in a '67, and for some reason it sounded distinctly different than any other SBC I've heard.

Last edited by lukecp; 05-10-2008 at 06:42 AM.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #71
BurnoutNova

so now you want more compression, when you did these mods to the heads to lower compression? im not sure, but arent stock 283's around 9.5:1 with 58, or maybe even 64 cc combustion chambers? i'd say 9.5 or even 9:1 should be a good compression ration to shoot for. i have ran 92 octane in my car, but for the most part i run 100 octane. i havnt bought it for a few years, but last time i checked it was about $5 a gal... and that was atleast 2 years ago.

another thing to maybe consider is some real thin steel headgaskets. im not sure but they might raise the compression by .1 or .2?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #72
BurnoutNova

heres a compression ratio calculator... not sure if you already knew about this one. it seems pretty easy if you measure your stuff, gakets, ect

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

i get about 9.5:1 with the stock 3.875 283 bore, and a 3" stroke... assuming the piston has no dome at all, and assuming theres a little bit of deck clearance (maybe .010-.015"?), and a 60cc combustion chamber, and .025" thick head gasket (pretty thin, i think most sbc head gaskets are more like .045")

Last edited by BurnoutNova; 05-10-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #73
a1953mdl
Rusty but Trusty

The deck height is whats killing it. We haven't remeasured it, but it was .040, with a gasket thickness of .042. The bore is 3.915 and the stroke is 3" even. The other problem is not being able to find gaskets the have a smaller cylinder bore size than 4.1. Needs about 3.95 to 4" even. We did find steel gaskets with a thickness of .016, that would help. Does anyone know the bore size on the gaskets for a 305, they should be smaller, maybe not too small.
When he first decided to go with these heads, he thought the CR might be up around 11. but it isn't turning out that way.
Matt worked on the heads to improve flame travel and decrease detonation points. That way he could run more compression with reg pump gas. He would like it in the low 10 to one area.
He's put quiet a bit of time into modding the heads and doing research for this. It's still experimental, but maybe it will work. Few things that are different are easy.
Lee
Old 05-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #74
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Thanks for clearing that up pop

Nova, like my dad said, I wasnt modding my heads to reduce compression but to make them more efficient
Also the heads that were on the 283 to begin with were 60 cc, so I shouldnt be changing the CR
I think we made a bad measurement & that is throwing things off, as I was under the impression that the 283 had 9:1 CR like you said

Bob, sorry but the only ring I could find for you was 2 karat... is that ok

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 05-10-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #75
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
Sounds like perfect compression for a weind 144 blower !!! It would fit under the hood too !!!!
You have one to donate ???

Killer