The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
Chad215

Re: Houston 64 GMC (Big Blue)

just saw the manual on amazon. I thought it was some super secret file being shared among all the cool people here. Guess I should have looked before posting.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Chad215

I decided my garage was too full of stuff, so I decided to build a nice shed in the back to house a lot of my wood working tools. My background is in carpentry so I have a lot of stuff that takes up a lot of room.
After we found out she was pregnant (during construction), it suddenly turned into a storage shed. I modified my plans to still give myself a small tool room.
While working on the roof, my ladder shifted and I fell.

Ladder safety is no joke.

After 2 surgeries, 2 plates, 14 screws, 6 months in a wheel chair, 2 months on crutches, and another month with a cane, I can finally walk again. My tibial plateau shattered and the tibia split lengthwise. It was not pretty.

But...I got a shed.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Chad215

back to the truck...
I made as stop at Fastenal yesterday and picked up a bunch of grade 8 bolts.
(25) 7/16-14 bolts with nuts, washers, and lock washers for ~$30. Just FYI for anyone looking to replace bolts. Wayyyy cheaper than the hardware stores.

Got the cross member mounted back up and started installing my control arms. I thought I had painted both of them, but when I went looking I realized I blasted one but never painted it. And both of my lower arms haven't been touched so I need to clean them up.

It was a good feeling- these parts haven't been together in ~5 years. I was pretty excited to get the crossmember back on the truck and off my garage floor.

Ignore the tan radiator support. I toyed with the idea of painted the frame tan at one point but after spraying the rad support decided I didn't like it. I'll pull it back out and repaint before final install.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Chad215

And I've decided I'm going to pull a strong 350 out of my boat to put in the truck. I bought the boat used and cheap and put a lot of work into it but was plagued with issues with rot but the motor is great. The boat has been sitting in a barn for 6-7 years now and not being used. I've been keeping it thinking I would sell off the lower unit and keep the motor and trailer to fab into a utility trailer. Lots of projects going on.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Wow. It sounds like you have quite the series of events. Glad to hear you have recovered and are able to get back on your truck.

Yeah, it isn't a bad idea to replace some of the critical hardware with new. Fastenal does have better prices than your typical hardware store.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 01-10-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Chad215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Wow. It sounds like you have quite the series of events. Glad to hear you have recovered and are able to get back on your truck.

Yeah, it isn't a bad idea to replace some of the critical hardware with new. Fastenal does have better prices than your typical hardware store.

Hey Captainfab- hate to sound as inexperienced as I am, but what are the benefits to using your steering bracket? The PO had some plates bolted on the inside and outside of the frame where the steering box goes. I don't recall having any issues when I drove it last (but that was ~1995!). I've seen a lot of people using them, but I'm not sure I understand the logic behind it. Just thinking ahead...I'm going to be ready to put my column and steering back in before too much longer.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

An adapter plate of come sort is necessary to bolt a '68-'87 power steering box to a '60-'66 frame. My steering box adapter plates position the steering box correctly and with all 4 bolts thru the frame as they should be. An inside plate is not needed on 90% of the applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad215 View Post
Hey Captainfab- hate to sound as inexperienced as I am, but what are the benefits to using your steering bracket? The PO had some plates bolted on the inside and outside of the frame where the steering box goes. I don't recall having any issues when I drove it last (but that was ~1995!). I've seen a lot of people using them, but I'm not sure I understand the logic behind it. Just thinking ahead...I'm going to be ready to put my column and steering back in before too much longer.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
Chad215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
An adapter plate of come sort is necessary to bolt a '68-'87 power steering box to a '60-'66 frame. My steering box adapter plates position the steering box correctly and with all 4 bolts thru the frame as they should be. An inside plate is not needed on 90% of the applications.
Thanks Captain- I appreciate the info.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
Chad215

Not a lot accomplished on the truck last night. Cleaned up the other upper control arm and got it painted.

The woman went out with a friend so the boy and I watched a movie together on the couch. Last night it was "Platoon" Had to get him in character.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #10
sixty4bigwindow

Just read through your build, and I love it so far. Crazy how life takes the drivers seat some times and our rigs get put in the pan storage, not even the back burner lol... Glad to see you back and with a new little one! Sorry to hear about the major injury, I hope there aren't any long lasting effects. And as always, can't wait to see some updates on the rig

My build thread for "Rocket" - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753023
sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #11
Chad215

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4bigwindow View Post
Just read through your build, and I love it so far. Crazy how life takes the drivers seat some times and our rigs get put in the pan storage, not even the back burner lol... Glad to see you back and with a new little one! Sorry to hear about the major injury, I hope there aren't any long lasting effects. And as always, can't wait to see some updates on the rig
Thanks!- Yea, nothing like looking back and forth between the truck and my wallet and wondering when I'll be able to start again! I came really close to selling it a few years ago but figured with all the work i'd need to do just to get the frame rolling again, I'd be better off keeping it. I'm very excited to be getting back to it. Finally getting the brake kit was what got the motivation up again.