The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #51
LooseyLucy71

Re: Lucy gets a modern powerplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteca View Post
I really dig your ECM bracket, any other pictures showing how you mount it or where it mounts to?
Keep up the good work
Thanks! it's tough to get a good picture in there, but both the PCM bracket and fuse box plate are bolted in with the two bolts that hold the brace between the radiator support and outer fender. On the PCM bracket I removed the screws that hold the PCM together and dropped the mount in and put the screws back. I figured this was easier than trying to fully encase it. You can see this in Post 42, pictures 2,3. I'll attach one more pic, but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

I will say this is not the easiest setup service-wise, but I'm going for a clean look, so I'm dealing with that struggle for now.

Since the last post I've added 3 relays to the backside of the fuse box / relay plate. It's tight, but they fit right behind the relays you can see in my last post, just pulled the screws and added relays behind. The fans are mounted and I tested them to make sure they work and get + and - sorted out. Exhaust is done, O2 sensors are installed and wired, serpentine belt is on, and we're working on radiator hoses and fan wiring. I've been super busy, but I'm so close to being back on the road I'm trying to get down to the garage every spare minute!
Attached Images

LooseyLucy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #52
kehstr

Haven't heard from you in a while, how is the progress on your truck going?

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #53
ryanv70c10

I would have a hard time swapping out a 454 for a 5.3 but that's just me...

Good luck with the build!
ryanv70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #54
LooseyLucy71

It has been a while, and things are looking good. I ended up moving unexpectedly in May and it threw my build off a bit. I got it on the road and driving only to have some expensive noises appear. upon further inspection of the motor it was pretty clear that whoever had it before me didn't show it much love. I decided to pull it and replace it before it blew up and took out body panels in the process.

I was able to track down a 2000 5.3 with 136k on it from a local salvage yard for $300. It actually ended up coming with a harness and PCM which was cool. After prep, paint, and removing 7 broken exhaust studs, it was ready to drop in. Since I was pulling the motor anyway I switched my stock torque converter for a 2700-3000 10" stall converter. It took a few weeks to get this motor happy. It didn't want to start terribly well initially and would hesitate at higher RPM. as time went on the hesitation turned to misfire and I suspected fuel issues. I plugged in the OBD scanner and found a code for the cam position sensor. It helps if you plug that in... I was hoping that was the whole issue, but it only fixed the hard starting, not the misfire. It also threw P0300, random multiple misfire, which isn't super helpful.

I checked my fuel pressures and they were a bit low, so I swapped fuel pressure regulators. I also changed the screen on my fuel filter. Afterwards, it was pretty much the same, so I changed all the spark plugs out. They didn't look to bad, but the gaps were a little big and you could tell they had been in there a while. I also swapped to the newer motor's rails and injectors in case one of my originals was having difficulty. I'm not sure if it was the injectors or the plugs, but it's a very happy truck now. I think I'll need to update my injector flow rate in the tune, but that's no big deal.

So what's next? While the weather is nice, I'm going to try to keep it to just overnight projects with no big downtime. This will include new rear springs, front and rear sway bars, and pulling the footwell carpet and painting and sound deadening that.

Here's a few pictures, i'll try to get a running video here soon too.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #55
67 chevelle

Lookin good
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #56
Tork?

Nice build! I'm interested in the stock tank route. Do you have more pictures of your fuel system - sender mod, bulkhead fitting, etc? Did you just use barbed fitting with FI clamps for the stretch of rubber line? What about the hardline to AN?
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #57
LooseyLucy71

Been a little while.. life happens.

To answer the last question, on the fuel system i had a section of line TIG welded to the sender for a return in the dimple on the sender, then a weld on -06AN line welded to the 3/8" line. the supply uses this fitting http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...oductId=756885
to go hard line to AN. When you set this up, be especially careful to make sure your lines are nested, such that you can slip the locking ring over the top. learned that the hard way, but thankfully my fuel system was totally devoid of fuel, so i notched mine and slipped it over, then welded it back together. I used -06 AN in the cab down to the floor, then 90 degree bulkhead fittings. the return runs right to the fuel rail, and uses a AN to stock conversion fitting. My supply goes to AN to an AN to barb fitting, fuel injection rated hose (double clamped) to the pump, then hose to AN. I used a jegs AN filter next, so all AN to the fuel rail. It works well, but if i had to do it again, I would say flush / blow out your AN lines if possible. I had some power issues like knocking at heavier throttle. I went bananas and did injectors (since i had another complete intake), plugs, and fuel filter and now it gets all kinds of rubber. Sorry for the super delayed response, but feel free to DM me if you want links / pics / more detail.

As for what's happened since my last post, I installed the new springs, front and rear sway bars, and after some heavy duty burnouts, a pair of tires. The sway bars make a HUGE difference. I thought about installing them separately to see the difference with adding the rear, and had even heard that the rear may be detrimental to knowing when the rear end was going to step out, but i'm not shy about that and feel that my greatest hinderance on that account is having an automatic, not sway bars. Anyway when you have 235 55 17's and you can fee the sway in the sidewalls on the tires with a 45 year old vehicle that's pretty awesome.

So as with any project, there's always more on the list. As I touched on above, I'm not a huge fan of automatics, and if you're going to go manual, might as well cut to the chase and go T56. I'm planning on more power down the road (maybe blown 6.0), so to me it makes sense to go with a 6 speed that can handle whatever i give it. I'll be doing my homework for a while and slowly getting parts together. I acquired a boat that needs an engine and outdrive service, so that's priority since the truck runs and drives as is. The trans is making some funny noises, but nothing that would keep me from taking it out and about. The salt and snow have hit New England, and the truck will be in the garage for the next 4+ months, so there's plenty of time for all the shenanigans.

Here's a few shots of the post spring swap ride height, sway bar install, and the good times had afterward.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #58
kehstr

DO you have video of the burnouts?

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #59
Tork?

Sweet thanks for the explanation! Love the smokey burnout pic too.

So in sum for the return you welded a second hardline into the sender, added an AN fitting, and ran that up to the stock 5.3 rail hooked up with an AN quick disconnect?

And for feed you used the same AN hardline adapter on the original sender tube and draw fuel up from the tank? Maybe I missed it but are you running an in tank pump or in line?
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #60
LooseyLucy71

I'm running an in line pump mounted to the fuel rail. I used the adapter i linked to for supply, using the original suction from the tank, and a weld on AN fitting on the return line. Since i was doing the welding anyway, I went with the weld on, but i don't see why the other variety wouldn't work here.

As for videos, yes, but they're not great. Always better in person, and of course, best in the drivers seat.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #61
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Looks like ya really broke in the driveway

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #62
LooseyLucy71

Sometimes housewarming parties turn into driveway warming parties
Old 12-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #63
elf w/capital T

ahhh I remember when I built up my ls swap. it was so exciting learned many things lol looks good with the flat bay and nice exterior paint!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #64
MalibuSSwagon

Very cool. I have not seen this thread before, yet another LS swapped C10 in NH! Kinda wish I had documented my swap while it was doing it, but I think I was more focused on getting it done!
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote