The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #51
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Brothers Truck Show

Oooohh...then I'm "talented" too, huh? ha ha. Seriously, did you paint your car? Because it looks really nice in the shots I've seen of it.

When the day finally comes to paint your truck, keep me in mind for the "team" of block sanders you call on. We've all learned a helluva lot from your threads and advice. Least we can do is get in there like an army and help you block sand so your arms don't fall off!

P.S. Don't know if you have any interest but Paintscratch.com would likely sell you any color you want in a rattle can if you just want to make a test panel. Not the same as painting the panel yourself, but at least it will let you get an idea if you like the color or not without setting up your home spray booth. Speaking of that, what DO you do for that? Drape everything in plastic and wet the floor in the garage, or do you have a more elaborate setup?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #52
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Are you planning on doing it at home with a self built booth or are you going to rent a booth (or other options not mentioned)?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #53
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Oooohh...then I'm "talented" too, huh? ha ha. Seriously, did you paint your car? Because it looks really nice in the shots I've seen of it.

When the day finally comes to paint your truck, keep me in mind for the "team" of block sanders you call on. We've all learned a helluva lot from your threads and advice. Least we can do is get in there like an army and help you block sand so your arms don't fall off!

P.S. Don't know if you have any interest but Paintscratch.com would likely sell you any color you want in a rattle can if you just want to make a test panel. Not the same as painting the panel yourself, but at least it will let you get an idea if you like the color or not without setting up your home spray booth. Speaking of that, what DO you do for that? Drape everything in plastic and wet the floor in the garage, or do you have a more elaborate setup?
As for as the car no I did not paint that car. As far as paint setup I have anything you will need (many paint guns, 2 stage compressor, etc) and I will paint in the backyard with a makeshift booth. The truck will be painted in pieces. I've learned a lot hanging out with my buddy that you would have met if you just would have took that chance to meet me.lol He is the older gentleman you saw me with. Here are some of his backyard paint jobs. He use to paint airplanes for a living. He really wants to paint my truck, but I want to do everything myself on this project. Once again from the rooter to the tooter. So I will be painting my truck.

Last edited by Kabwe; 07-14-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #54
Dan in Pasadena

Wow, looks like he does EXCELLENT work. Does he still hire out or only does friend's stuff? I love what you show here but especially the '56 truck. Any chance of finding out what color that is?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #55
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Wow, looks like he does EXCELLENT work. Does he still hire out or only does friend's stuff? I love what you show here but especially the '56 truck. Any chance of finding out what color that is?
Posted via Mobile Device
That cameo is a stock turquoise color. I'm no longer friends with the guy that owns that truck (long story), so I don't talk to him he's a butthead. He only paints for his buddy's now.

Last edited by Kabwe; 07-14-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #56
Dan in Pasadena

Well, thanks for the color info anyway. The truck looks really nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #57
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Well, thanks for the color info anyway. The truck looks really nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey Dan I ask what the exact color of that truck is and was told its a 1956 Chevy Belaire Tropical Turquoise. There are two turquoise in 1956 twilight turquoise and tropical turquoise. That truck is Tropical Turquoise paint code 749. I hope that helps

Dan look at this paint, check out how clear the reflection of the tree is. In person it looks deep and still wet. This was not painted by my buddy but I know the guy that painted it. Guess what its backyard paint job.

Last edited by Kabwe; 07-14-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #58
bajabob

bam
you gotta stop with the sedan photos!!!!!!!! Just when I convince myself I can live without one to go along with the truck, you have to throw down a super clean 56 Belair.... great.... so much for getting anything done tonight while I just sit here and drool...... lol

ps, one reason I admire the home shop guys here is because like the, black car it looks professional... where as if it were painted in my backyard, there would actually be parts of the tree in the paint and not just a reflection of it...
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #59
Dan in Pasadena

Man, the paint is awesome and that Rivvy is SIIICK! I LOVE the early Rivieras. When paint is truly right, it looks like it would come back wet on your finger tips if you touched it.

Thanks a lot for the color info. I've wanted deep red ororange for the longest time but everyone has it. I suppose they have it because it looks so good and I MAY still use one of them BUT...more and more I'm thinking of era correct colors like the Cameo and like the Seafoam panel at the show. I also really liked the Ford Cordoba Tan Suburban.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #60
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabob View Post
bam
you gotta stop with the sedan photos!!!!!!!! Just when I convince myself I can live without one to go along with the truck, you have to throw down a super clean 56 Belair.... great.... so much for getting anything done tonight while I just sit here and drool...... lol

ps, one reason I admire the home shop guys here is because like the, black car it looks professional... where as if it were painted in my backyard, there would actually be parts of the tree in the paint and not just a reflection of it...
Sorry Bajabob, but all my buddy's have tri5's. I know a lot of guys with them.lol
This is us at a breakfast cruise. Just to mess with you a little bit more.lol

Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #61
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Hey guys the show was great and it was really nice meeting everyone. It was really cool meeting chevyrestroguy and kustombrad and walking around the show with them. Kim, Bajabob, and hotrod1 its always nice seeing you guys.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.

Kabwe, I'm a new guy here on this site and just wanted to stop by and thank all you guys for the nice words you had to say about the '51 suburban that was at the Brothers Truck show on sunday.. I'm the guy who built it for Dave and Denise. Can't say it was much fun until it was all put together and we were able to drive it down the road. I had it for about 4 years but did not work on it all of that time. Real time in the build was about two years or so. Took 6 months just paint it. Its late and i'm headed to So. Calif in the morning but when i get time if you guys would like i'll post some pictures of the build.. as you guys all know they don't start out looking that nice..
Again thanks for all the nice comments about the suburban, and i've pasted them on to Dave and Denise who thank you guys too...Wayne
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #62
Dan in Pasadena

Wayne, you are simply a phenomnally good builder. A deep bow to your vision and your abilities.

Personally, yes PLEASE post pictures of the build. I would LOVE to have a look at them. The color choices were inspired, the woodgraining fantastic and the stance is right on the mark. Again, big kudos and please spend more time with us here. We could only benefit from guy that can build as well as you can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #63
youngrodder

Wayne-

It's nice of you to drop in and become a member of this great site.
Have fun in So Cal today....

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #64
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Wayne,

Thanks for dropping by. The burb was simply outstanding. Please do post build pics here I would love to see them.

Don't be a stranger here, there is a great group of guys on this site.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #65
chevyrestoguy

Wayne-
Thank you for joining this site, and welcome! I have to say that the Suburban was hands-down my favorite truck at the show. I probably looked at that truck longer than any other one at the show. I would LOVE to see build photos of that truck.

Bam-
Why did you have to go and post pictures of that Riviera? I've owned scores of cars, but one of my favorites was my '67 Riviera. It was a one-owner car with all of the original documentation, meticulously maintained, and a wonderful driving car. I was going to "street rod" it back in the late '80s, but it was so perfect, so stock, that I couldn't bring myself to touch it. I miss that car...........

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #66
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Hey Dan I ask what the exact color of that truck is and was told its a 1956 Chevy Belaire Tropical Turquoise. There are two turquoise in 1956 twilight turquoise and tropical turquoise. That truck is Tropical Turquoise paint code 749. I hope that helps

Dan look at this paint, check out how clear the reflection of the tree is. In person it looks deep and still wet. This was not painted by my buddy but I know the guy that painted it. Guess what its backyard paint job.
I'm telling you, when I went to California two years ago I was surprised at how many paint jobs had that same look. I just couldn't get over it. Where I live now everyone tends to hide all their bodywork with that loud a$$ candy paint jobs
Posted via Mobile Device
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #67
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Bam-
Why did you have to go and post pictures of that Riviera? I've owned scores of cars, but one of my favorites was my '67 Riviera. It was a one-owner car with all of the original documentation, meticulously maintained, and a wonderful driving car. I was going to "street rod" it back in the late '80s, but it was so perfect, so stock, that I couldn't bring myself to touch it. I miss that car...........
Yeah man that burb was my favorite also. But the most shocking thing you've said is "you could not bring yourself to touch it". Man the way we were agreeing on everything at the show I thought we were fraternal twins.lol I say cut em up as much as you like let the sparks fly.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimneverdies View Post
I'm telling you, when I went to California two years ago I was surprised at how many paint jobs had that same look. I just couldn't get over it. Where I live now everyone tends to hide all their bodywork with that loud a$$ candy paint jobs
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah there are a lot of sweet rides out here that's for sure.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #68
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Wayne-

It's nice of you to drop in and become a member of this great site.
Have fun in So Cal today....

Marc
Thanks Marc, for letting me know this site was out there... Didn't have a bad trip to So. Cal. and my buddy put me to work cleaning his shop for the pin stripers party tomorrow... just got to my buddys house and trying to chill out and answer some emails...
Old 07-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #69
parkwood

First off guy i really don't know what to say to you about all the nice things you've said about my work on the suburban except to say that i've looked at some of your work too and i wouldn't throw rocks at any of it...
When took on the suburban i had no idea it would turn out as nice as it did, it we just kept plugging along each time we worked on it and looking at other trucks and suburbans to see what someone else had done to theirs and tweaked it a little to fit what we were doing. I did know going into it that i wanted the fit and finish to be top notch.. i'm kind of a gap guy so all the gaps and door and hood openings have to be right on.. it's one of the first things i look at to some it may be a little over the top but thats just me.. I made the mistake of pointing this out to the owners wife one day at a goodguys car show and now she calls herself the gap queen because thats the first thing she looks at too..
As you guys all know no one can build one of these things without a lot of help from friends, and i've got some of the best.. I have a guy named Jim who works with me everyday and you all know what a second pair of hands can do, I've got a great friend by the name of Shawn who does the interior's, my long time pin stripper friend Phill Whetstone who wood grained the dash and window moldings, my buddy Tony and his crew who did the body and paint work...

I'll get off the soap box now and post some pictures.. i took over a 1000 so i'll just try and hit the high spots, it anyone wants to see something i didn't show ask me and if i have it i'll be glad to share... I learned a lot of what i know by looking at other peoples work... so i feel its pay back time..

These first pictures show the suburban when i picked it up in late '06. It had been used as a storage shed and was full of rat poop and i mean piles of it.. it was in the walls and was still falling out of i don't know where 4 years later...
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #70
parkwood

Just a few shots of the start of the tear down..
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #71
parkwood

Getting the frame torn down so it can go to sand blaster... that's Jim in the garage and a good shot of me mooning you...
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #72
parkwood

Frame back from blaster, setting up the 9" ford rear and Mll front cross member.. starting to weld up some of the 100's of unwanted holes in the frame.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #73
parkwood

Getting the Mll a-arms set up, cutting the c-notch for the rack, and rear boxing plate
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #74
parkwood

Getting the rear 4 bar and air bag hangers installed, and up on air in the rear..
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #75
parkwood

Getting the frame back under the body, and the ZZ4 350 in for the first time..
Attached Images