The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #51
CMFT

Re: TX '64 Under Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Gregg View Post
Your truck looks great!!! Where does it sit at drive height?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater/10 View Post
Hey Bud!

I Love your truck! I just found a driver 64' as well im actually going to pick it up after school. your truck has given me inspiration for mine keep up the good work!
Thank you both. I'll try and get a few more pic's up this weekend. I have a general ride height set, but I'm still testing to see how low I can safely go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 66 View Post
your truck turned out real nice. I think it'll look good with any wheel combo.is this a driver or a looker?
Thanks Mark. This truck is a driver all the way. I'm driving it a little bit now with the hood off, but it will increase once its back on. A few days to work and back and lots of driving on the weekends.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #52
1963c-10

Nice job....has a great stance.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #53
Lowl!f3

It looks really nice. I don't know if it is the picture angle or what. But the lowers do not look cupped to me but cut out and plated. Kinda looks like maybe cupped like 1/2" or something.
Maybe you ment decupped?

Anyway it is still looking great. I'm hopping to get one by end of February if not sooner. Always loved these trucks. Just never could buy one till now.

Allot of people do not like the 2 link setup. Honestly it gets the job done. 4 link users boast about pinion angle and try to make a point stating 2 links are no good because of pinion angle.
However, if your pinion angle at ride height. The furthest it can be off is laid out or fully lifted. And no one runs that way. Also there is plenty of degrees before it gets to that point.
Should be no problems with 2 link if pinion is set at zero for ride height. There will be plenty of travel without getting way out.

Last edited by Lowl!f3; 12-20-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Lowl!f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #54
Bomp

That's one nice truck you have there.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:26 AM   #55
pdxhall

I just looked through your thread and I like your truck. I noticed that you are using the early Mustang/ Falcon gas tank. I'm using the same tank on my build. Are you using the stock chevy gas gauge with it? And if so, did you have the sender modifed?

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #56
CMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Are you using the stock chevy gas gauge with it? And if so, did you have the sender modifed?
When the change to the mustang tank took place, I also put in a set of new Auto Meter gauges (Old Tyme Black). The sending unit and fuel gauge are Ford, not Chevy. That tank is an excellent fit for these trucks though. Very low profile and does not hang below the rear bumper. It's a little small (16-gal), which is my only concern with it.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #57
CMFT

To give an update on where my build stands, here's a few notes on what has occurred in December:

I had an unfortunate incident in which the hood of the C10 popped on me while I was going about 55-60 on the highway, and it was raining to boot. I was extremely lucky and avoided any collisions, which was a major challenge being surrounded by concrete walls on both sides. The gentleman in the next lane over was on the phone talking to his son about my truck and saw the whole thing happen. I am very grateful for his assistance, as he slammed on his brakes to stop traffic. I had to drive the truck while staring out my back window, following his hand signal directions, which got me safely off the highway. He had bungee cords and we got the hood tied down enough for me to limp home. Very depressing moment for sure!

Come to find out, the spring on the emergency latch was never replaced by the gentleman who originally built this truck. It's extremely hard to point fingers, as this is something that I should have found when going through the truck before I deemed it road worthy. Things could have been much much worse, so I feel lucky to have come out of it unscathed. I again was extremely lucky and found a very good donor hood from a local gentlemen, which I am grateful for. The new hood should be painted and re-installed by the end of this week.

I put in an order on Thursday for these items, so January will be a busy month:

- Power steering
- Ididit retrofit, column shift - will paint black
- Edelbrock carb - starting fresh
- LED taillights
- Also ordered some bullet caps to try out. Still not sure if I'll run the baby moons, bullets or as it sits now with nothing...
Old 12-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #58
Lowry

Man!!! Glad you are ok. Good luck with the truck.
Lowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #59
CMFT

It's been a while since I've uploaded any pic's, so took a few last night. I finally got my new hood fit and painted, so it's been on for about a month now. January was a busy month for the truck. Power steering, tilt column, 700r4, new tranny lines, new carb, LED taillights.

Next on the list is to gut my doors and replace the door and window mechanisms. The driver's side is the main focus, as my door handle falls off every time I shut the door and I can't get my window up and down without pushing on the glass.

Tried to get creative with my pic's, not sure if it was successful though...

Old 02-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #60
knomadd

Looks good!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #61
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Looks good!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #62
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Your truck is absolutely beautiful! I’m not usually a fan of lowered trucks but your new photos showing it aired out, look way cooler than the earliest ones posted in your thread. Also what color is your truck? At first I thought it was black, but it seems to look dark gray? I’m partially color blind so it’s hard for me to tell.

Glad your roof wasn’t ruined during the event, and that you got stopped safely. I lived through a hood flying open on the freeway as a kid. It inspired me to chain my hood down ever since I was old enough to have a license. Here’s how I did the one on my truck should you have any interest. The lower bracket is some odd piece I found in the metal drawer that has a 90 degree bend below the grille support that extends over and attaches under the bottom of the nearest hood latch bolt.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #63
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

I dig it! You've made some great progress since acquiring it, & for the better IMO. ....I like the wheels with the moons, as well as what you have now. I do think a set of stock caps would look sweet as well. Keep up the good work!

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #64
CMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Your truck is absolutely beautiful! I’m not usually a fan of lowered trucks but your new photos showing it aired out, look way cooler than the earliest ones posted in your thread. Also what color is your truck? At first I thought it was black, but it seems to look dark gray? I’m partially color blind so it’s hard for me to tell.

Glad your roof wasn’t ruined during the event, and that you got stopped safely. I lived through a hood flying open on the freeway as a kid. It inspired me to chain my hood down ever since I was old enough to have a license. Here’s how I did the one on my truck should you have any interest. The lower bracket is some odd piece I found in the metal drawer that has a 90 degree bend below the grille support that extends over and attaches under the bottom of the nearest hood latch bolt.
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the truck is a charcoal gray. It really changes colors in the sun and shade. Some pic's make it look black, others gray. It's actually a 2012 Chrysler color, lightened up a bit. I've pondered the idea of matching my rim color to the red of the stripe on the side to lighten up the overall look of the truck. I think it would look cool, but not sure I'm ready to take the plunge.

The drip rail took most of the damage. It really needs to be re-painted, but is touched up enough for now. I did get very lucky and feel blessed to have made it through the incident without further damage. It's funny, because now that it's over with, anyone that knows anything about what happened always gives the hood a tug before we drive anywhere. It's become a habit.

I like your idea on the chain and I'll probably copy it. If my truck would have had the spring on the emergency latch, it likely would not have happened. However, you can never be too safe so I'll likely add the chain.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #65
CMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Looks good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
Looks good!
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
I dig it! You've made some great progress since acquiring it, & for the better IMO. ....I like the wheels with the moons, as well as what you have now. I do think a set of stock caps would look sweet as well. Keep up the good work!
Thank you! This thing drives so much better now with the PS and PB, along with the lower stance. It takes corners pretty well. I just wish I had the HP to do some damage. A car pulled up next to me a few weeks back and started hopping on me, trying to get me to race him. I couldn't help but laugh, as there isn't much going for my SBC. My wife is about to cut me off, otherwise this thing would have an LS1 sitting in it right now! We can all dream I guess.

I love the factory chrome caps and wish I could find a reasonably priced set that would fit these wheels.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #66
Desert.Chevy

Cool Build, Thanks for the link.
Desert.Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #67
Bigru

I really like your setup, very nice! How's the ride? And where did you get your wheels?

1983 Short Fleet (Under construction for my 13 year old son)
2008 GMC Denali
2012 Harley Roadglide

Follow me on Instagram: Ru_django
Bigru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 AM   #68
CMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigru View Post
I really like your setup, very nice! How's the ride? And where did you get your wheels?
Truck rides really well, lower it is the smoother it is. Nice to be able to steer with one finger and stop on a dime. I feel 10 times safer driving this thing now. I like a little rake, so I fill up the back end a little more than most I see with bags.

Wheels came from Hot Rod Hanks:

http://www.hotrodhanks.com/products/...roductID/14551
Old 02-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #69
19GMC66

Killer truck man! Looking real good
19GMC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #70
Jmorales3181

What a big difference it makes when these things are sitting on the ground. Looks great!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #71
mark 66

Wish I knew about your wheel source before I had our wheels powder coated. that sounds like a pretty good deal.even including shipment.oh yea KILLER truck!
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #72
Jeff La

Truck looks good. The hood thing happened to me on a truck I was driving for a friend of mine, we were working on it for his son.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #73
groundbound64

Hey Man,

I gotta say.. Your truck looks awesome. The suspension shop did a great job on the rear. The paint color is killer too.. I was wondering what size and width your rims are? and What size your tires are? I really like the stance of yours. I've been thinking about plating or cupping my front C/arms. The front just isn't low enough. (porter or pancaking C/member isn't really in my budget just yet) I was curious on what bags you are using 2600, 2500 ???
.......................____
..........._______l/ \____
...........|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.
groundbound64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #74
CMFT

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really enjoying the truck.

Wheels are 15x8 in rear (4.25" backspace) and 15x7 in front (4.125" backspace).
Tires are 255/70 in rear and 225/70 up front, running Cooper Cobra's for now.

My front tires used to hit the inner fender, but we ended up tubbing them and it dropped me down a bit further when aired out. I too would like to run a Porterbuilt drop member or pancake, just not in the cards right now.

I'll have to double check the bags, cause I don't remember off the top of my head.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #75
CMFT

Question for you guys on my window regulator replacement, as I'm reading mixed answers. Do you have to remove the vent window and door glass to replace the regulator? I've read yes and no, so looking for some guidance. Just got my parts in tonight and will start working on it tomorrow.

Thanks