The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #51
jim-bob

Re: 1969 c10 build, input needed. Boss 338's, ECE 4/6 drop

..All looking great firefighter..If I may asked a couple of questions..I have a 67 GMC Stepper that I have rec'd some great advice on it from CaptainFab..
I'm not a mechanic but I can disassemble one purty good
I need a 700R4 or 4L60 and I see that the one you have is used..Did you get that out of your donor truck or where?..I also need a complete rear end..I see some good deals on line..But of course scared to buy them..What would be your advice on buying these items used?
Thanks!
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #52
Firefighterkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bob View Post
..All looking great firefighter..If I may asked a couple of questions..I have a 67 GMC Stepper that I have rec'd some great advice on it from CaptainFab..
I'm not a mechanic but I can disassemble one purty good
I need a 700R4 or 4L60 and I see that the one you have is used..Did you get that out of your donor truck or where?..I also need a complete rear end..I see some good deals on line..But of course scared to buy them..What would be your advice on buying these items used?
Thanks!
Thanks! The transmission I used I got when I bought my motor from lkq. Both came with a 6 month warranty. I would recommend going that route, a national salvage yard that has warranties. Hard to trust people off Craigslist, without seeing it run of course. The rearend I wouldn't have a problem buying off Craigslist, just rotate the pinion by hand and make sure it's tight as far as tooth contact and the bearing are noisy. Just my opinion though.
Firefighterkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #53
Green67Stepper

very cool project! great work.
Green67Stepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #54
Firefighterkk

Was able to get the wood all poly'd and ready to go in. Finished final coat of paint on bed strips on Saturday. Set everything in bed yesterday evening. Looks pretty killer!

Old 11-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #55
Firefighterkk

Made the mistake of trying to save a buck when I ordered the bed hardware. Went with the stainless thinking it would be fine, but when it showed up it didn't look quite like I expected. So I ended up hitting tops with sander to get putting out from casting I assume. And then on to the polishing wheel. $45 later in polishing wheels/rouge they look great.......not to mention all the time that it took.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #56
Firefighterkk

Finally got it all back together. Was up picking up some jeep parts and the guy had a few c10's setting around. He happened to have a 69 grill that was in better shape than mine. Was able to get it bought off of him and install the new grill insert that came with the truck. Finished up bolting the bed all down and got the glass back in it. Installed the new door seals, window seals and felts and carpet into the interior. Took off for a little cruise down to Dallas to pick up a dirt bike on Friday and dropped some jeep parts off as well. Couldn't be happier with the way things went.

That morning shortly after leaving the house.

Texas/Oklahoma border with a load of jeep parts.

Unloaded jeep parts and grabbed lunch at gas monkey before heading over to get bike. Had a gentleman ask how much before I could even get inside. Came back out after lunch and a guy was taking pictures of it. Ended up being a very nice guy. Talked truck awhile with him before we finally had to jet.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #57
SKT

This one turned out great - any updates or fresh pics to share?

Still logging the miles on it?

SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #58
Firefighterkk

I'll dig up some of the finished photos, unfortunately I sold the truck. Needed to free up some money for my shop building. Looking forward to building another in the future. But along the lines of turbo'd with a manual trans!
Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 PM   #59
SKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighterkk View Post

I'll dig up some of the finished photos, unfortunately I sold the truck. Needed to free up some money for my shop building. Looking forward to building another in the future. But along the lines of turbo'd with a manual trans!

Argh, bummer to hear it was sold.

Looked like a nice driver for sure!

SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #60
NasT69

Rear End Swap

I have a 69 c10 and was wondering if I could swap out a 9 inch rear end with a ford ranger 2001
NasT69 is offline   Reply With Quote